Does Death Bother You?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2017, 10:20 PM
RE: Does Death Bother You?
I'm scared shitless of suffering. My tolerance for pain is particularly low, and since I'm often miserable even when things are going well, my potential for feeling hideous is very high.

But death itself, I don't fear at all. In fact I would be relieved if I found out I was going to die in the near future. The last part has been mainly due to being very ill from an early age, but the idea of "being dead" has just never been a problem for me. I think not being raised religious helps with this, because I've never been given an expectation of anything after this life. And being a pragmatist and a realist, I've long accepted that fearing the inevitable is a waste of precious time and energy.

The idea of eternal life is about the scariest concept I can imagine, so I am comforted by the fact that it's almost certainly fantasy.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
27-04-2017, 10:31 PM
Brian37 Wrote:The question in the title of the thread is stupid.

... ... He said, as he proceeded to answer it in detail. There's no such thing as a stupid question, pal! Come on now! Tongue

So anyways, sorry. There are a lot more responses than I anticipated having for when I got back. That's great! Thanks! Smile So the general line of reasoning I'm getting from the responses is that most people really are okay with the idea of not being conscious anymore, and the whole actually dying bit is the part that everyone just hopes goes okay. That's kind of where I'm at now. What I find interesting, thinking back on it, is that my fear of death was actually so much more poignant when I was religious, and I know now that it was because I truly believed that my consciousness was going to persist after death. So in locating where that massive sense of relief came from when I stopped being religious, I actually think a big part of it came from knowing that this is the only time that I'm going to have/the only chance I have to live, and then I will fade out, and then other people will come and live in place of me.

The fact that every living organism has to do it, and yet has a serious aversion to it... ... I guess from a biological perspective it really is so obvious why it is beneficial to be frightened of death instead of passive, and why the older you get the more reasonable the idea becomes.

I thought this was a great answer to some of the questions I'm asking.

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
Find all posts by this user
27-04-2017, 11:28 PM
As a firefighter in the Air Force, I saw death sometimes, and operated on the assumption that I could die if I didn't adhere to my training and teamwork. A result of this is that having thought about my own demise, I'm okay with it happening -- there's nothing I can do about that -- but I'd just as soon die in an airplane crash or from a gunshot to the head. Cancer and drowning, or other sorts of torture ... yeah, they bother me.

But once you've really looked at dying, you look at living, and that's what's important.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
28-04-2017, 02:51 AM
I suppose it depends on what the circumstances of my death were to be, If it'd be quick/painless or long drawn out and people would see me in that state.

Generally, I'd say no - It doesn't bother me. I'm content with what I've done in my life and know full well there is nothing after this world. And if there is, I welcome the experience to see how that works lol.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
28-04-2017, 04:30 AM
(27-04-2017 08:39 PM)KUSA Wrote:  
(27-04-2017 05:02 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  First dead person I saw was at age 6. Mom sent me to the neighbors for a couple of eggs. Father was home, he'd ate a shotgun. Very messy. Didn't freak me out.

Did you get the eggs?

I thought about taking the shotgun, I didn't have one. Remington pump gun.
28-04-2017, 05:35 AM
Why bother.

#sigh
28-04-2017, 06:48 AM
(27-04-2017 05:09 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  ...
He will probably die before I do (statistically)

I misread "statistically" as 'sarcastically'.

I feel like this is something I need to learn how to do. Unsure

"Did you know DLJ?"
"Not well"
"How did he die?"
"Sarcastically

Thumbsup

(27-04-2017 08:39 PM)KUSA Wrote:  ...
Did you get the eggs?

Up-rep for that! I'm still chortling.

Laugh out load

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
28-04-2017, 10:25 AM
From a pragmatic standpoint, I guess I'm not really afraid of death as—obviously—I won't be aware of being dead. Just like I'm not aware of anything when I'm asleep each and every night.

My concern is possibly the negative effect it'll have on my family and friends, as it's inevitable they'll suffer a period of grief and mourning.

(Well, they'd better, fuck them!)

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
28-04-2017, 11:47 AM
Dying right now? Yes it bothers me because I'm still relatively young and feel I have a lot of life left to experience.

But if I get a terminal, painful disease, or I'm in my 90s and have dementia and/or I'm just kind of rotting away in a nursing home, I doubt it will bother me that much then.

Others around me dying bother me more.
[+] 1 user Likes ResidentEvilFan's post
28-04-2017, 12:10 PM
Belief in heaven, even the watered down version of reincarnation, I think actually mentally makes the idea of death more frightening to some. Conversely the more physically brave humans it theism will cause them not to think about the real finality of it and could needlessly get themselves killed, "I'll defend my religion to the death".

I think it is very natural to fear pain and natural to fear loved ones missing you and you not being around for them. But religion really distorts that natural evolution to comic book form. If one is willing to accept that a cockroach and bacteria are finite and don't have another life or after life why should humans think they have an after shot in a new form?

I want to die quickly by say a heart attack, or even being robbed and shot in the back of the head not seeing it coming, say over a slow terminal disease. Of course I'd like to live as long as possible, so I don't want anything like the mentioned to happen, but just to point out I want it to be quick and as painless as possible, I don't want to see it coming.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post