Does Death Bother You?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2017, 12:36 PM
RE: Does Death Bother You?
(27-04-2017 11:28 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  As a firefighter in the Air Force, I saw death sometimes, and operated on the assumption that I could die if I didn't adhere to my training and teamwork. A result of this is that having thought about my own demise, I'm okay with it happening -- there's nothing I can do about that -- but I'd just as soon die in an airplane crash or from a gunshot to the head. Cancer and drowning, or other sorts of torture ... yeah, they bother me.

But once you've really looked at dying, you look at living, and that's what's important.

If I had the knowledge I do now, stripped of ignorance and now not giving a fuck what people thought of me, say outside my family, while I am still sensitive in some ways, I might have made it through Air Force basic back when I was 18. Unfortunately when I went in, I had had a lifetime of authoritarian parents and a street full of bullies, in an age where "boys don't cry and buck it up". I might of made it if I went in today.

The funny part is the physical part was easy for me. What got to me was being yelled at from 5am to 10pm constantly. The fun part of basic was the obstacle course. I could remember watching people stumble and fall in mud, not make it up the wall and think "What?". But again, when people think it is all physical toughness or all mental, it is neither and requires both. Every branch of the military has an average that wont make it for either reason, and that is a good thing. You don't want someone in combat that cant handle it either mentally and or physically. When lives are on the line you need people that can do it.

I am assuming you did your basic at Lackland? Thank you for your service, glad someone made it, even if not me.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
28-04-2017, 12:50 PM
I think it was Christoper Hitchens that said "The fear of death isn't the knowledge that this party known as life I'll come to an end. It's that the party will keep going even after you leave."

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Commonsensei's post
28-04-2017, 07:50 PM
About 2 am every evening. How he keeps getting in I don't know. Seems to like candy.
[+] 1 user Likes big green mouth's post
28-04-2017, 08:19 PM
Does Death Bother You?
(28-04-2017 07:50 PM)big green mouth Wrote:  About 2 am every evening. How he keeps getting in I don't know. Seems to like candy.

Did he give you the green candy?
28-04-2017, 08:59 PM
(28-04-2017 08:19 PM)KUSA Wrote:  
(28-04-2017 07:50 PM)big green mouth Wrote:  About 2 am every evening. How he keeps getting in I don't know. Seems to like candy.

Did he give you the green candy?

[Image: 32904766_350x350.png]

What green candy? *Mrmph*
[+] 1 user Likes big green mouth's post
29-04-2017, 07:45 AM
(27-04-2017 02:37 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  And be honest too. Does it frighten you? As an agnostic I'd say yeah I'm actually pretty scared. Not of the actual being dead part, but all of the stuff that leads up to it.

Imma suicide and avoid all that part. The problem I have at present is living with a family group where for the first time family is not a dirty word, so simulating future produces emotional attachments.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
29-04-2017, 09:21 AM
(28-04-2017 12:36 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  I am assuming you did your basic at Lackland? Thank you for your service, glad someone made it, even if not me.

Yeah, back when I enlisted, Lackland was the only BMT station in the Air Force. I don't know if that's still the case or not.

To this day, I still think of anyone wearing heel plates on their shoes as an asshole.
29-04-2017, 11:49 AM
Not yet.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 3 users Like whateverist's post
29-04-2017, 12:09 PM
(29-04-2017 11:49 AM)whateverist Wrote:  Not yet.

Every day is a good day to die. I got that from the Cheyenne by way of the Klingon. Big Grin

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
29-04-2017, 01:23 PM
(27-04-2017 02:37 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  And be honest too. Does it frighten you? As an agnostic I'd say yeah I'm actually pretty scared. Not of the actual being dead part, but all of the stuff that leads up to it.

But yeah I've never really asked how other agnostics/atheists feel.
The fear of death / dissolution is not the same as fearing the process of dying. Of course I have concerns about the latter, because I'm reasonably sane and there are a lot of very unpleasant ways to die. I do not have any fear of the former; it is simply part of the "circle of life".
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post