Does Dirt have DNA or RNA?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2012, 03:27 PM
Does Dirt have DNA or RNA?
Simple question...does Dirt (by its self) have DNA or RNA?
D
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2012, 04:53 PM
RE: Does Dirt have DNA or RNA?
Define dirt.

Did you know that there are hundreds of different classifications of soil, depending on their mineralogical makeup, grain size, hydration, organic content, and location?

Many of these classifications include specified levels of single celled organisms, so those particular kinds of "dirt", by definition, contain DNA and RNA.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
06-11-2012, 04:57 PM
(06-11-2012 04:53 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Define dirt.

Did you know that there are hundreds of different classifications of soil, depending on their mineralogical makeup, grain size, hydration, organic content, and location?

Many of these classifications include specified levels of single celled organisms, so those particular kinds of "dirt", by definition, contain DNA and RNA.
Earth Dirt in its simplest form. The stuff god reached down and made man out of...that kind of dirt. I googled this question and did not see anything. I am not a scientist but wanted to see if there was folly in the creationist argument be eliminating DNA/RNA in dirt.
06-11-2012, 04:59 PM
(06-11-2012 03:27 PM)Denicio Wrote:  Simple question...does Dirt (by its self) have DNA or RNA?
D
No.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-11-2012, 05:04 PM
(06-11-2012 04:57 PM)Denicio Wrote:  
(06-11-2012 04:53 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Define dirt.

Earth Dirt in its simplest form. The stuff god reached down and made man out of...that kind of dirt. I googled this question and did not see anything. I am not a scientist but wanted to see if there was folly in the creationist argument be eliminating DNA/RNA in dirt.

"Earth Dirt" is a meaningless concept because god did not create the earth (and did not create man from earth) because god does not exist.

Dirt is a colloquial name for various types of soil, which is a loose matrix of non-lithified sediment (that is, the remnants of rocks that have been mechanically and/or chemically destroyed) and organic matter with varying amounts of water.

You need to have rocks before you can have soil, and different types of rocks make different types of soil, so there is no "original" dirt.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
It works, bitches.
06-11-2012, 05:09 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2012 05:42 PM by Phaedrus.)
If you want the real, original, primordial "dirt" I suggest taking an ultra-mafic volcanic rock and smashing off the weathered outside bits. Take the raw, unweathered core and soak it in a weak solution of ammonia, carbon dioxide, and dihydrogen sulfide at a temperature of 90C for about five years. Then take it out of the solution and smash it to bits and powder with a hammer and let it dry under a nitrogen atmosphere (no oxygen). That's about as close as you can get to primordial "dirt". But good luck finding anything like it on earth today.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
It works, bitches.
06-11-2012, 05:20 PM
Dirt no. Soil made from organic matter such as bits of dead plants, possibly, but I'd imagine it is broken down fairly quickly. Just a guess. I don't know for sure.
07-11-2012, 10:00 AM
(06-11-2012 05:04 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  
(06-11-2012 04:57 PM)Denicio Wrote:  Earth Dirt in its simplest form. The stuff god reached down and made man out of...that kind of dirt. I googled this question and did not see anything. I am not a scientist but wanted to see if there was folly in the creationist argument be eliminating DNA/RNA in dirt.

"Earth Dirt" is a meaningless concept because god did not create the earth (and did not create man from earth) because god does not exist.

Dirt is a colloquial name for various types of soil, which is a loose matrix of non-lithified sediment (that is, the remnants of rocks that have been mechanically and/or chemically destroyed) and organic matter with varying amounts of water.

You need to have rocks before you can have soil, and different types of rocks make different types of soil, so there is no "original" dirt.

All great responses and i am getting the answer i expected.
I know there is not god, but when debating a fellow creationist i find it helps to get into 'their head' (a dangersous place i know) and play thier game. They'll argue 'where did the first cell come from' in thier mr smarty pants tone...therefore GOD created it and all life. What i like to do is go back to the original story of Adam and show them that soil has NO DNA/RNA. Its a foolish way of 'playing their game' but its done in the hopes that they crack open a science book...which may crack open their mind!
D
[+] 2 users Like Denicio's post
07-11-2012, 10:36 AM
(07-11-2012 10:00 AM)Denicio Wrote:  What i like to do is go back to the original story of Adam and show them that soil has NO DNA/RNA.
So you argue soil has no DNA/RNA? I would argue that it most likely does, which means we were actually all sculpted out of wooly mammoths and tree bark (wood). This is why some of us have bigger schnozes than others, I imagine. I love a good schnoz, whatever size shape or form it comes in.
07-11-2012, 05:24 PM
Soil is a combination of chips of rocks that plant roots have separated, and organic material. before plants invaded the land there was no dirt in the sense we would describe today. Our soils are the product of life, not the progenitor of life. Being a mixture of rock, dead organic matter and living organic matter dirt will contain differing quantities of DNA depending on the type.
However, RNA and other "building blocks of life" are present naturally apparently without the existence of life[1][2].

Also, lab experiments based on models of early earth atmospheres and oceans have produced amino acids, peptides and RNA bases.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis for more information.

[1] http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/08/1...2I20090818
[2] http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a...lanet.html

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.