• 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2013, 12:13 PM
Does He Have A Point?

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2013, 12:34 PM
RE: Does He Have A Point?
(02-09-2013 12:13 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  

He is free to categorize himself however he likes. In practice however he tends to fall in line with most of the Atheist organizations while not actually subscribing to them. NDT is like the next step in Atheism he has moved beyond the discussion because his interests lay elsewhere. To find how he acts when religion tries to force it's way into his world however see his reaction to Intelligent Design.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
02-09-2013, 12:46 PM
I've seen it before, and I'm examining the label of atheist as it pertains to myself. I'm just curious on everyone else's thoughts.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-09-2013, 01:20 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2013 01:24 PM by PoolBoyG.)
Thumbs Down RE: Does He Have A Point?
(02-09-2013 12:34 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  He is free to categorize himself however he likes.

And Mr. Tyson is "free" to label himself as a grapefruit. Or similarly, he can argue to not fall into the establishments (the MAN) trap of labeling him a homosapien. "I think for myself, duuuude." This type of reasoning just sounds like hippie trash.

Mr Tyson, do you believe in a God or gods? Yes? You're a theist. No? You're an atheist. That's the -ism. Deal with it. You can't redefine established terms and labels because it makes you feel more comfortable.

We're not asking what you have evidence for, but what you BELIEVE.

Note on Agnosticism. It's a useless and empty label. I am atheist when it comes to the claim that Godzilla is standing on my driveway. But I would have to be agnostic about it too because - 'HOW DO YOU KNOW FOR SURE! MAYBE HE'S INVISIBLE, AND PERMEABLE!'
02-09-2013, 01:22 PM
I define myself as an atheist, both for the reason I know god or gods do not exist but also because I know theism does great harm to humans. I find frankly the notion of being agnostic as a cop out. It rather is like my belief in childhood (and I do mean a long time ago) that it is ok if there is a god because I am a benign being and am not deserving of punishment for eternity. Eventually through thinking through things and seeing the evil in the world due to the human notion of god I rejected the possibility of there being a god or gods.

People may call themselves what they want, those who proclaim to be agnostic rather than atheist are deluding themselves. I might ask a person like Neal deGrasse Tyson if he believed in eternal life. He would of course say no, I might then ask why think there is the possibility of god. The idea has no merit.

Creation myths are one of the cornerstones of all religious practices. It removes from humans the need to embrace the truly odd happenstance of our existence and the horrible fact that we have one shot at life and are responsible for how we use that shot. Thinking there is the possibility of a god or gods allows us to shirk our responsibilities during the one chance we have to try to make a difference for our fellow humans.
02-09-2013, 01:31 PM
An atheist is a person who lacks a belief in god.
Therefore he is an atheist.
It is somewhat sad that the public has such a poor perception of "Atheist". The problem is not the active, spoken out atheists, but the problem is that we, as a group, don't tend to correct people so that people understand what the word means.