Does "Humanity" exist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-05-2013, 04:49 AM
Does "Humanity" exist?
Is there a linear trajectory of human cultures/ideas/beliefs? Is there a concept or definition of "humanity" that one can put all humans into?

Each culture has had it's day of being the strongest, most powerful and most influential. Each epoch has had it's dominant nations/empires as well as it's copies in the form of colonies or puppet governments installed or nations that have chosen to abandon their own culture and copy another.

If "humanity" isn't a cohesive causal linear thing then there is no such thing as "humanity"

Each dominant culture that dominated their period had it's own distinct ideologies and belief systems and is in no sinificant way related causally to the next dominant culture that came after.

If there is no clear definition of "humanity" and this humanity hasn't progressed in any major discernible causal manner. Then how does one say that x culture is more advanced than b culture?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-05-2013, 05:03 AM (This post was last modified: 28-05-2013 07:31 AM by Free Thought.)
RE: Does "Humanity" exist?
hu·man·i·ty
noun/(h)yo͞oˈmanitē/
The human race; human beings collectively
- appalling crimes against humanity
The fact or condition of being human; human nature
- music is the universal language with which we can express our common humanity
Humaneness; benevolence
- he praised them for their standards of humanity, care, and dignity
Learning or literature concerned with human culture, esp. literature, history, art, music, and philosophy

Those are all definitions of the word "humanity". Going by those, I'd say it exists as they can all be applied to one thing or another at a persons leisure which changes meaning based on the context it is used in...

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
28-05-2013, 07:03 AM
Free Thought, none of those definitions answer I and I's inquiry, because they don't tell us what a "human" is.

"Humanity" exists in the same way "places", "advertisement's efficacy", "personality", "advancements", and many, many other things exist, that being via abstraction.
28-05-2013, 07:44 AM
(28-05-2013 07:03 AM)fat cat Wrote:  Free Thought, none of those definitions answer I and I's inquiry, because they don't tell us what a "human" is.

"Humanity" exists in the same way "places", "advertisement's efficacy", "personality", "advancements", and many, many other things exist, that being via abstraction.

I am fairly certain that we all know what a human is.
Dodgy

And yes, it does answer his question, or at least a part of it. It was asked:
" Is there a concept or definition of "humanity" that one can put all humans into?"

The first two definitions fit this bill as you can define humanity as
and all humans can be put into it as they are all included within the human race. Because, you know, they tend to be humans.
you can aslo define humanity as:
And all humans fit into this definition as well and they all suffer from a severe case of, you know, being members of the human race; thus humanity.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
28-05-2013, 07:54 AM
Even the idea of what a human is changes for different cultures.

The modern definition superimposed on to the past doesn't mean that past generations had this idea at all of humanity.

Human history is not a causal related series of events when it comes to completely different cultures. For example: The Chinese culture developed distinct from and regardless of the aztec culture, to lump these two cultures together into a definition is a modern thing to do.
28-05-2013, 03:52 PM
I think you mean "vogonity"

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
28-05-2013, 09:37 PM
Free Thought, sorry I didn't make this clear, but I had read your first post before I made my comment.

(28-05-2013 07:44 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  The first two definitions fit this bill as you can define humanity as
and all humans can be put into it as they are all included within the human race. Because, you know, they tend to be humans.

So humanity exists because humans are humans. That's as obvious as the fact that a circle is a circle because we call it a circle.

(28-05-2013 07:44 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  you can aslo define humanity as:
And all humans fit into this definition as well and they all suffer from a severe case of, you know, being members of the human race; thus humanity.

So humanity exists because humans exist under the condition of being humans, which could also be phrased as humanity exists because humans have human nature, which could also be phrased as humanity exists because humans are humans. Similar to what I said above, that's as obvious as the fact that a square is a square because we call it a square.

(28-05-2013 07:44 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I am fairly certain that we all know what a human is.
Dodgy

human=human=?
30-05-2013, 03:53 AM
Do you exist? How do we know you exist? Can we prove it?

You could be a computer virus!

Maybe this is the matrix.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
30-05-2013, 06:57 AM
(30-05-2013 03:53 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  Do you exist? How do we know you exist? Can we prove it?

You could be a computer virus!

Maybe this is the matrix.

You been talking to Erx?

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  does carma reallly have to be supernatural to exist kunoxian drive 13 394 23-01-2014 12:46 PM
Last Post: Im_Ryan
  Does Absolute Truth exist or not? Mike 62 2,476 12-11-2013 03:09 PM
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Do we really exist? Nappa 27 1,949 07-02-2013 06:59 PM
Last Post: Chaos
  The Temptation to Exist - E.M. Cioran PeacefulSkeptic 3 1,039 07-02-2013 06:04 AM
Last Post: Luminon
  Are all of humanity's problems caused by fear? Buddy Christ 27 1,416 16-01-2013 10:07 PM
Last Post: bbeljefe
  By definition, the Christian God cannot exist. TheKetola 17 1,402 07-04-2012 12:22 PM
Last Post: TheKetola