Does Sex Have Limits?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-10-2013, 09:51 AM
RE: Does Sex Have Limits?
Quote:Yeah I think you are right. But I guess the thing I am wondering about is how this mixes with the idea of sex being an intrinsically meaningless event which is done only for the sake of pleasure and not dependent upon anything else other than a free choice to engage in it. I am not saying everyone adopts that view, but I think most responses that I got did share that perspective. My question is that if it is only an action that is done for the sake of pleasure and does not require a stable relationship or love or anything else, how is it different than anything else done for pleasure like eating ice cream or something?
It's not. Why should it be? The difference between sex and those other activities is only the potential risks involved (STIs, and, at least in the case of heterosexual sex, unwanted pregnancy). Other than that, no, I don't think it's any different from eating ice cream or doing other enjoyable things with somebody else.

I think others have said so already, but saying a thing has "no intrinsic meaning" doesn't mean it's meaningless, in fact, I imagine that many people consider sex quite meaningful to them and meaningful to their relationships. But still, that's meaning that individual has assigned to it, not intrinsic meaning.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
22-10-2013, 09:53 AM
Actually there are real risks If the person once alive had a chronic infectious disease, they can continue to be spread for a while (in some cases days after) after death by direct contact, including hepatitis B and hepatitis C, HIV, enteric intestinal pathogens, tuberculosis. And let's not forget cholera depending what part of the world we're talking about....

Assuming the person wanting to have sex with dead people would prefer a fresh body because honestly those hold the most risk...

So yes, necrophilia is definitely not without risk...leaving morals out of it and this is why I included it.

And it's just fucking gross!

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

Find all posts by this user
22-10-2013, 10:13 AM
I'm just hoping a raving fundie visits this thread and goes back to crazy town telling them, Those godless Atheist guys are into necrophilia.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
22-10-2013, 10:17 AM
(22-10-2013 10:13 AM)sporehux Wrote:  I'm just hoping a raving fundie visits this thread and goes back to crazy town telling them, Those godless Atheist guys are into necrophilia.

And our response would be:

necro- (Ancient Greek νεκρός (nékros, “corpse, dead”))
-philia (Ancient Greek φιλία (philía, “affection”)),

I dunno, for the love of christ!

Consider

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
22-10-2013, 10:25 AM
(22-10-2013 10:17 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(22-10-2013 10:13 AM)sporehux Wrote:  I'm just hoping a raving fundie visits this thread and goes back to crazy town telling them, Those godless Atheist guys are into necrophilia.

Consider

Na just let them believe it, and turn up at funeral leering at the coffin while groping your genitals.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
22-10-2013, 10:35 AM
I think others have said so already, but saying a thing has "no intrinsic meaning" doesn't mean it's meaningless, in fact, I imagine that many people consider sex quite meaningful to them and meaningful to their relationships. But still, that's meaning that individual has assigned to it, not intrinsic meaning.
[/quote]

Yeah we are saying the same thing here I think but are just probably using different terms. When I say that it seems people are saying it has no "intrinsic meaning", I mean that sex is being thought of as kind of like a white canvas that everyone paints their own meaning on, or formless play-do that each person shapes them self, or like good old tofu which is itself flavorless and takes on the flavor of the food it is mixed with. This is why I said I think people only see "subjective" meaning in regards to sex, sex itself does not have a defined meaning of itself for them but is something that each person gives their own meaning to. Does that seem kind of like what your saying?
[+] 1 user Likes WimpyPete's post
22-10-2013, 10:36 AM
(22-10-2013 10:25 AM)sporehux Wrote:  
(22-10-2013 10:17 AM)DLJ Wrote:  And our response would be:

Consider

Na just let them believe it, and turn up at funeral leering at the coffin while groping your genitals.

Can't.

Court Order.

Weeping

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
22-10-2013, 10:51 AM
(22-10-2013 10:17 AM)DLJ Wrote:  

Consider

I nearly spat out my coffee. Laughat That was great.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 2 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
22-10-2013, 11:06 AM
DLJ, you've got me thinking about the question of the appeal to absolutes now. The post started with the question of if sex has no intrinsic meaning why put limits on it for non-adults etc since the consensus was that sex should remain within the confines of consenting adults (this is what most people said at least).

I'm just wondering now how do we support such limitations as "between consenting persons" and so on without making an appeal to absolutes? It seems like an appeal is being made that it is absolutely wrong to force someone into sex.

Now again just to reemphasize, I am not speaking out in support of this, I am against non-consensual sex, however on what basis is it justified without the appeal to this as an absolute? Just curious about your thoughts.
[+] 1 user Likes WimpyPete's post
22-10-2013, 11:25 AM
(22-10-2013 11:06 AM)WimpyPete Wrote:  DLJ, you've got me thinking about the question of the appeal to absolutes now. The post started with the question of if sex has no intrinsic meaning why put limits on it for non-adults etc since the consensus was that sex should remain within the confines of consenting adults (this is what most people said at least).

I'm just wondering now how do we support such limitations as "between consenting persons" and so on without making an appeal to absolutes? It seems like an appeal is being made that it is absolutely wrong to force someone into sex.

Now again just to reemphasize, I am not speaking out in support of this, I am against non-consensual sex, however on what basis is it justified without the appeal to this as an absolute? Just curious about your thoughts.

It's true that sex is treated differently, in general, than other acts (eating ice cream, going to the theater, etc). But I think that goes back to things others have said: risks (including psychological).

So yes, I think nonconsentual sex is wrong, that forcing someone to have sex is wrong. (Forcing people to do a lot of things against their will seems wrong to me, though.) And I think that is because of the potential risks: pregnancy, disease, and that it's been established, I think, that rape causes psychological harm to people.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user