Does Sex Have Limits?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-10-2013, 11:37 AM
RE: Does Sex Have Limits?
(22-10-2013 11:25 AM)amyb Wrote:  So yes, I think nonconsentual sex is wrong, that forcing someone to have sex is wrong. (Forcing people to do a lot of things against their will seems wrong to me, though.) And I think that is because of the potential risks: pregnancy, disease, and that it's been established, I think, that rape causes psychological harm to people.

A what if, natural disaster, 1 man left and 20 women who are man hating militant lezbos (if that's offensive I didn't know).
Wouldn't it be his biological duty /imperative to rape them, or the human race would become extinct.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-10-2013, 11:38 AM
[/quote]
So yes, I think nonconsentual sex is wrong, that forcing someone to have sex is wrong. (Forcing people to do a lot of things against their will seems wrong to me, though.) And I think that is because of the potential risks: pregnancy, disease, and that it's been established, I think, that rape causes psychological harm to people.
[/quote]

Yes I agree, but my point is that we seem to be saying that forcing someone into sex (i.e. raping someone) is Absolutely wrong, as in, it is always and every where wrong. I don't think either of us would say if the state suddenly legalized we wouldn't have a problem with it. So my question is how is one able to simultaneously hold a value which seems to be universal and unlimited (rape is wrong etc) without admiting that it is an absolute value? Let me know what you think.
22-10-2013, 11:50 AM (This post was last modified: 22-10-2013 11:55 AM by DLJ.)
(22-10-2013 11:06 AM)WimpyPete Wrote:  DLJ, you've got me thinking

(22-10-2013 09:43 AM)WimpyPete Wrote:  ...
I think DLJ is right

Now, we're talking absolutes.

I'm beginning to like you. You're getting the hang of this place.

OK, long boring answer...

In Governance, when assessing the enablers (people, process, ethics, policies etc.) of an organisation, society, club, religion, state, whatever, one dimension (there are 4, but I won't bore you more than I have to) that is assessed is the Goals of said organisation etc.

'Goals' could also be loosely interpreted as meaning or objectives or purpose of even values.

Goals are assessed using three quality criteria:
Intrinsic Goals
Contextual Goals
Accessibility / Security Goals.

Your confusion, I think, is related to looking for Intrinsic Goals meaning and others are pointing out that sex and its goals, meaning, purpose, value, limits, blah blah are Contextual.

Smartass

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
22-10-2013, 11:53 AM
(22-10-2013 11:50 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Your confusion, I think, related to looking for Intrinsic Goals meaning and others are pointing out that sex and its goals, meaning, purpose, value, limits, blah blah are Contextual.

Smartass

Yeppers.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
22-10-2013, 11:56 AM
So yes, I think nonconsentual sex is wrong, that forcing someone to have sex is wrong. (Forcing people to do a lot of things against their will seems wrong to me, though.) And I think that is because of the potential risks: pregnancy, disease, and that it's been established, I think, that rape causes psychological harm to people.
[/quote]

Yes I agree, but my point is that we seem to be saying that forcing someone into sex (i.e. raping someone) is Absolutely wrong, as in, it is always and every where wrong. I don't think either of us would say if the state suddenly legalized we wouldn't have a problem with it. So my question is how is one able to simultaneously hold a value which seems to be universal and unlimited (rape is wrong etc) without admiting that it is an absolute value? Let me know what you think.
[/quote]

I'll go so far as to say that it's an absolute value. Rape is wrong. Always. I can't imagine a scenario in which it would be even remotely acceptable.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
22-10-2013, 12:06 PM
(22-10-2013 11:37 AM)sporehux Wrote:  A what if, natural disaster, 1 man left and 20 women who are man hating militant lezbos (if that's offensive I didn't know).
Hmmmyesss .... Consider probably not quite as offensive as the next sentence...

(22-10-2013 11:37 AM)sporehux Wrote:  Wouldn't it be his biological duty /imperative to rape them, or the human race would become extinct.

Uhm... after such an act, the duty/imperative of any lesbian might be to kill the man who raped her.

There. I think now, we're evenly offensive. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
22-10-2013, 12:09 PM
(22-10-2013 11:37 AM)sporehux Wrote:  
(22-10-2013 11:25 AM)amyb Wrote:  So yes, I think nonconsentual sex is wrong, that forcing someone to have sex is wrong. (Forcing people to do a lot of things against their will seems wrong to me, though.) And I think that is because of the potential risks: pregnancy, disease, and that it's been established, I think, that rape causes psychological harm to people.

A what if, natural disaster, 1 man left and 20 women who are man hating militant lezbos (if that's offensive I didn't know).
Wouldn't it be his biological duty /imperative to rape them, or the human race would become extinct.

Oh dear, the last man on earth is suicidal....

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
22-10-2013, 12:11 PM
(22-10-2013 12:06 PM)kim Wrote:  Uhm... after such an act, the duty/imperative of any lesbian might be to kill the man who raped her.

Well its like throwing your self on a grenade , humanity saved :

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
22-10-2013, 12:15 PM
(22-10-2013 12:11 PM)sporehux Wrote:  
(22-10-2013 12:06 PM)kim Wrote:  Uhm... after such an act, the duty/imperative of any lesbian might be to kill the man who raped her.

Well its like throwing your self on a grenade , humanity saved :

Ah well, since it's a hypothetical situation then; fuck humanity. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
22-10-2013, 12:49 PM
(22-10-2013 12:15 PM)kim Wrote:  ...
fuck humanity. Drinking Beverage

But only if it's contextual and consensual.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post