Does This Really Belong in the Philosophy Section?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-02-2013, 09:53 PM
Does This Really Belong in the Philosophy Section?
I was watching a show on Investigation Discovery the other night. The gist is that a woman was feeling lonely or something so she prayed for someone to share her faith with and what not. Anyway, a woman joined the same church and she entered her life and grew to become known as her children's "aunt."

Well, many years later, it was found that said woman molested and had sex with the other woman's 13 year old son. Later, after the woman was convicted of he crime, the woman was crying and saying,"I prayed for her! I trusted her! Now I just have to keep my faith in God to get me through this." (Ok. I was paraphrasing but that's pretty much what she said.)

Why would a God "answer" someone's prayer, only to put a pedophile in her life? And how does one say they prayed for her and say God is still her savior only sentences apart? This irritates me so much. One can have complete faith in something that seems to only cause bad things to happen.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Peanut's post
10-02-2013, 10:00 PM
RE: Does This Really Belong in the Philosophy Section?
Indoctrination is a powerful thing.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

[+] 1 user Likes Adenosis's post
10-02-2013, 10:03 PM
Nope.
Moved.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-02-2013, 10:06 PM
(10-02-2013 10:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  Nope.
Moved.

?

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
10-02-2013, 10:09 PM
(10-02-2013 10:06 PM)59pEaNUt89 Wrote:  
(10-02-2013 10:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  Nope.
Moved.

?

You asked, I answered. Belongs in Atheism/Theism.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-02-2013, 10:11 PM
(10-02-2013 10:09 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-02-2013 10:06 PM)59pEaNUt89 Wrote:  ?

You asked, I answered. Belongs in Atheism/Theism.
I saw it was indeed moved right after I wrote that. Thanks.

10-02-2013, 10:18 PM
It also makes me think how people pray for someone to heal or overcome an illness and yet when that person passed away, they say God works in mysterious ways. So why were you praying in the first place? If God's will is ultimate, why try to change it?

10-02-2013, 10:19 PM
(10-02-2013 09:53 PM)59pEaNUt89 Wrote:  "I prayed for her! I trusted her!

Hmm... what about her son... did she communicate with him? Did she trust him?

(10-02-2013 09:53 PM)59pEaNUt89 Wrote:  Now I just have to keep my faith in God to get me through this."
Seems like something bad happened to her... what about her son?

(10-02-2013 09:53 PM)59pEaNUt89 Wrote:  Why would a God "answer" someone's prayer, only to put a pedophile in her life?

No god "answered" any prayer. This mother already seems gullible enough to pray, maybe she was so busy praying she did't notice her son's behavior was getting freaky in reaction to being molested. She probably should have payed more attention to her son than Auntie Child Fucker.

(10-02-2013 09:53 PM)59pEaNUt89 Wrote:  And how does one say they prayed for her and say God is still her savior only sentences apart?
Faith.
I mean, delusion. Drinking Beverage Whichever.
I view faith as an excuse to place responsibility elsewhere. I often observe faith to be selfish and lazy.

(10-02-2013 09:53 PM)59pEaNUt89 Wrote:  This irritates me so much.
Now, now... let's just keep reality out of this... we're talking about faith. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
10-02-2013, 10:29 PM
(10-02-2013 10:19 PM)kim Wrote:  
(10-02-2013 09:53 PM)59pEaNUt89 Wrote:  "I prayed for her! I trusted her!

Hmm... what about her son... did she communicate with him? Did she trust him?

(10-02-2013 09:53 PM)59pEaNUt89 Wrote:  Now I just have to keep my faith in God to get me through this."
Seems like something bad happened to her... what about her son?

(10-02-2013 09:53 PM)59pEaNUt89 Wrote:  Why would a God "answer" someone's prayer, only to put a pedophile in her life?

No god "answered" any prayer. This mother already seems gullible enough to pray, maybe she was so busy praying she did't notice her son's behavior was getting freaky in reaction to being molested. She probably should have payed more attention to her son than Auntie Child Fucker.

(10-02-2013 09:53 PM)59pEaNUt89 Wrote:  And how does one say they prayed for her and say God is still her savior only sentences apart?
Faith.
I mean, delusion. Drinking Beverage Whichever.
I view faith as an excuse to place responsibility elsewhere. I often observe faith to be selfish and lazy.

(10-02-2013 09:53 PM)59pEaNUt89 Wrote:  This irritates me so much.
Now, now... let's just keep reality out of this... we're talking about faith. Wink
Thank you for that. I thought the same thing. It was ultimately about her. (The mother.) She barely mentioned her son's feelings. There were a few tines where the "aunt" said or did something that made her question but then she actually said I just "brushed it off."

If my child were in danger or expected danger, I'm going to take action; I'm not gonna hope things are being taken care of by a magical being.

[+] 1 user Likes Peanut's post
10-02-2013, 10:41 PM
Like I say - I view religion to be selfish and accepting of irresponsible behavior.

Many theists view atheists to be irresponsible, selfish, amoral, and completely deviant in behavior.
Blink Ironic, huh?

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post