Does This Really Belong in the Philosophy Section?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-02-2013, 11:02 PM
RE: Does This Really Belong in the Philosophy Section?
Right. I don't need a book to tell me how to behave. Morals and proper behavior need to be taught (and shown) by parents to their children at a young age. By teaching that God forgives all if you accept him, to me, that's just irresponsible. People Do tend to use religion as a scapegoat.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2013, 06:18 AM
(10-02-2013 10:19 PM)kim Wrote:  Faith.
I mean, delusion. Drinking Beverage Whichever.
That's like saying "Ice. I mean, frozen water. Whichever." Wink

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Misanthropik's post
17-02-2013, 01:08 AM
(10-02-2013 09:53 PM)59pEaNUt89 Wrote:  I was watching a show on Investigation Discovery the other night. The gist is that a woman was feeling lonely or something so she prayed for someone to share her faith with and what not. Anyway, a woman joined the same church and she entered her life and grew to become known as her children's "aunt."

Well, many years later, it was found that said woman molested and had sex with the other woman's 13 year old son. Later, after the woman was convicted of he crime, the woman was crying and saying,"I prayed for her! I trusted her! Now I just have to keep my faith in God to get me through this." (Ok. I was paraphrasing but that's pretty much what she said.)

Why would a God "answer" someone's prayer, only to put a pedophile in her life? And how does one say they prayed for her and say God is still her savior only sentences apart? This irritates me so much. One can have complete faith in something that seems to only cause bad things to happen.

The Lord works in mysterious ways.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
17-02-2013, 01:46 AM
Prayer is such a funny thing. You can always find some silver lining when it doesn't go your way and if it does go your way, of course it's the work of god.

Reminds me of the story of the man who had 1000 men all tied up and began his testing of a hand gun.
The gun had an average misfire rate of one per every thousand rounds shot.
He told all the men to pray and began killing each man awaiting for when the gun would misfire.
Finally around the 700th shot, the gun misfired and one man out of the thousand survived.
The man was a priest and was even more sure than ever that his god was protecting him on that day.
He arrived home to hear about the horrible mass killings of 999 of his fellow priests from around the world.

He believes his god was responsible for saving his life, but in reality, it's just a normal misfire from a gun that was expected to happen at some point that day.

As for the other 999 priests who died. God must have needed more holy men in heaven. (excuses excuses)
The priest who survived couldn't give god the blame for those 999 deaths, but he could give him credit for one save.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
17-02-2013, 07:10 PM
Well if your moving threads around....Move that Global Warming one in Politics to science...it has nothing to do with politics.

Arguing with a Christian is a lot like playing chess with a pigeon. You can be the greatest player in the world, yet the pigeon will knock over all the pieces, shit on the board and strut away triumphantly.
[+] 1 user Likes StorMFront's post