Does "Tough Love" work on Creationists and other Theists?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2014, 12:23 PM
Does "Tough Love" work on Creationists and other Theists?
Impulse brings up an interesting point about Taqillya Mockingbird's method.

Are Theists responsive to direct assaults on their ideas? Or does it simply add credence to delusions of persecution?

Obviously the type of Theists who would sign up for an Atheist forum are not your typical Christian. They seem to be mostly Fundimentalists and Evangelicals on a mission to "debunk Atheism" using strategies learned for evangelism:

From mild seeming questions without any real discussion on one end of the spectrum, to "Repent! And be shaved. . ." Bible-thumping on the other.

Does the way they're engaged matter?

β€œIt is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2014, 12:27 PM
RE: Does "Tough Love" work on Creationists and other Theists?
They're a brick wall...

You can either bang your head, or rub your cock against it... either way it ain't coming down.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Sam's post
10-03-2014, 12:36 PM
(10-03-2014 12:27 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  They're a brick wall...

You can either bang your head, or rub your cock against it... either way it ain't coming down.

Laugh out load Laugh out load Laugh out load

Atir aissom atir imon
10-03-2014, 12:37 PM
Quote:Are Theists responsive to direct assaults on their ideas? Or does it simply add credence to delusions of persecution?

I think it just reaffirms their expectations of what they've been told about atheists.

If they get us to argue with them, all the better, now they feel like they may have had an impact, and pat themselves on the back for the effort.

Either way, I feel these people are a lost cause and to far gone. Confused

I say we have some fun with them, and/or rub our cocks on em. Laugh out load

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
10-03-2014, 12:39 PM
(10-03-2014 12:37 PM)War Horse Wrote:  
Quote:Are Theists responsive to direct assaults on their ideas? Or does it simply add credence to delusions of persecution?

I think it just reaffirms their expectations of what they've been told about atheists.

If they get us to argue with them, all the better, now they feel like they may have had an impact, and pat themselves on the back for the effort.

Not all of them, you have to remember a lot of atheists were once theists (like myself).

Atir aissom atir imon
10-03-2014, 12:52 PM
(10-03-2014 12:39 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 12:37 PM)War Horse Wrote:  I think it just reaffirms their expectations of what they've been told about atheists.

Not all of them, you have to remember a lot of atheists were once theists (like myself).

Fair enough, but were you out there trying to convert atheists and joining this kind of forum Huh

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
10-03-2014, 01:04 PM
[Image: 531425_10150941956067736_965042377_n.jpg...;amp;h=728]

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
10-03-2014, 01:06 PM
Do whatever you want with theists as long it doesn't annoy you. Cause if it does it's just masochism.
10-03-2014, 01:14 PM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2014 01:18 PM by Charis.)
(10-03-2014 12:52 PM)War Horse Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 12:39 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Not all of them, you have to remember a lot of atheists were once theists (like myself).

Fair enough, but were you out there trying to convert atheists and joining this kind of forum Huh

I was.
I would sometimes go to universities for debates and stuff like that.
Street evangelism... abortion protest....

And the occasional Atheist/Agnostic forum.

I'm ok with Christians coming here being straightforward, and asking obvious questions, etc. I'm ok with Christians coming here to debate (after all, there's a forum here for just that). What I'm NOT ok with are the under-handed techniques that I was taught myself. I am not ok with misleading people by saying they're not a Christian, claiming to ask innocent questions (which are nothing close to innocent) with the objective of using it for evangelism on the sly. This is underhanded and dishonest, and sometimes reminiscient of Amway. Tongue

It just gets my hackles up reeeeeally really badly. I guess one reason is that I'm not sure where I stand on religion myself just yet (many of you have heard my story). If I was a practicing Christian here, I would be pretty embarrassed about this sort of conduct from the Christian visitors and I would probably be apologizing constantly. Actually, scratch that; I am very embarrassed about the conduct of the Christian visitors that I've seen so far. As it is, I look at them and I think,"wow... I used to do the same thing, use the same techniques they do. Would I really go back to that? I think not."

I don't want to be a snake. I don't like people coming here, trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes while they slither around waiting for their "AHA!" moment to drop an evangelism bomb and assail everyone with Chick tracts.
[+] 2 users Like Charis's post
10-03-2014, 01:26 PM
Ehhh, I've had every variety of every type of approach tried on me.

The least effective and overall most obnoxious is the e-thug atheist (what you call "tough" love).

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post