Does "Tough Love" work on Creationists and other Theists?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2014, 01:28 PM
RE: Does "Tough Love" work on Creationists and other Theists?
(10-03-2014 01:26 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Ehhh, I've had every variety of every type of approach tried on me.

The least effective and overall most obnoxious is the e-thug atheist (what you call "tough" love).

Yeah an E-Taq never works and is just there for the mental mastrabation of the poster.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
10-03-2014, 01:33 PM
The tough love/e-thug (LOL!) approach will effect different people in different ways, simply because different people are different.

Take, for instance, street preaching.

Most find this very obnoxious. Some will use it as a source of entertainment. Others will jump in and add to the entertainment by loudly dialoguing with the preacher and sometimes doing juggling stunts for the resulting crowd (seen it happen... was pretty funny).

Some would convert to Christianity, because they were just the type of person whose makeup responded well to that particular approach (granted, there are a number of different approaches that can be used in that venue, just like in any other place).

Because of the many types of people out there, and the fact that personality types generally transcend ideological lines, a "tough love" technique will bring a pretty broad spectrum of results.
[+] 1 user Likes Charis's post
10-03-2014, 01:33 PM
(10-03-2014 01:26 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Ehhh, I've had every variety of every type of approach tried on me.

The least effective and overall most obnoxious is the e-thug atheist (what you call "tough" love).

With you any approach is equally pointless Laughat
10-03-2014, 01:44 PM
(10-03-2014 01:33 PM)donotwant Wrote:  

With you any approach is equally pointless Laughat
[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
10-03-2014, 02:04 PM
(10-03-2014 01:44 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 01:33 PM)donotwant Wrote:  With you any approach is equally pointless Laughat
[Image: giphy.gif]

Nothing to be excited about. Just shows that certain people are more fucked up than the rest.
10-03-2014, 02:59 PM
(10-03-2014 01:14 PM)Charis Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 12:52 PM)War Horse Wrote:  Fair enough, but were you out there trying to convert atheists and joining this kind of forum Huh

I was.
I would sometimes go to universities for debates and stuff like that.
Street evangelism... abortion protest....

And the occasional Atheist/Agnostic forum.

I'm ok with Christians coming here being straightforward, and asking obvious questions, etc. I'm ok with Christians coming here to debate (after all, there's a forum here for just that). What I'm NOT ok with are the under-handed techniques that I was taught myself. I am not ok with misleading people by saying they're not a Christian, claiming to ask innocent questions (which are nothing close to innocent) with the objective of using it for evangelism on the sly. This is underhanded and dishonest, and sometimes reminiscient of Amway. Tongue

It just gets my hackles up reeeeeally really badly. I guess one reason is that I'm not sure where I stand on religion myself just yet (many of you have heard my story). If I was a practicing Christian here, I would be pretty embarrassed about this sort of conduct from the Christian visitors and I would probably be apologizing constantly. Actually, scratch that; I am very embarrassed about the conduct of the Christian visitors that I've seen so far. As it is, I look at them and I think,"wow... I used to do the same thing, use the same techniques they do. Would I really go back to that? I think not."

I don't want to be a snake. I don't like people coming here, trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes while they slither around waiting for their "AHA!" moment to drop an evangelism bomb and assail everyone with Chick tracts.

*giggles at AMWAY reference* Laughat

Well to be honest, I do a little of that myself....a loaded question makes for quite an impact with the follow through. One of my peers at work is a good friend, and a fundamentalist literal christian...oh the conversations we have, I plant doubt, he runs home to his wife (a sunday school teacher) or calls his pastor and then comes back with the propaganda response, the smoke and mirrors, sometimes I corner him hard with a setup like....."there is only one god right?"...and he pounces, yes, only one god....then I refer him to Psalms 82.1 (KJV) - God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods.

Should have sen the eye wiggles and flushing of the skin...took him two days to come back with an email put together by his wife on why that was a "interpretation", and that how footnote 5 or whatever explained that blah blah blah...I just smiles and said a footnote? really? ..and started pantomiming a tap dance.

good times.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
10-03-2014, 03:08 PM
(10-03-2014 02:59 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 01:14 PM)Charis Wrote:  I was.
I would sometimes go to universities for debates and stuff like that.
Street evangelism... abortion protest....

And the occasional Atheist/Agnostic forum.

I'm ok with Christians coming here being straightforward, and asking obvious questions, etc. I'm ok with Christians coming here to debate (after all, there's a forum here for just that). What I'm NOT ok with are the under-handed techniques that I was taught myself. I am not ok with misleading people by saying they're not a Christian, claiming to ask innocent questions (which are nothing close to innocent) with the objective of using it for evangelism on the sly. This is underhanded and dishonest, and sometimes reminiscient of Amway. Tongue

It just gets my hackles up reeeeeally really badly. I guess one reason is that I'm not sure where I stand on religion myself just yet (many of you have heard my story). If I was a practicing Christian here, I would be pretty embarrassed about this sort of conduct from the Christian visitors and I would probably be apologizing constantly. Actually, scratch that; I am very embarrassed about the conduct of the Christian visitors that I've seen so far. As it is, I look at them and I think,"wow... I used to do the same thing, use the same techniques they do. Would I really go back to that? I think not."

I don't want to be a snake. I don't like people coming here, trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes while they slither around waiting for their "AHA!" moment to drop an evangelism bomb and assail everyone with Chick tracts.

*giggles at AMWAY reference* Laughat

Well to be honest, I do a little of that myself....a loaded question makes for quite an impact with the follow through. One of my peers at work is a good friend, and a fundamentalist literal christian...oh the conversations we have, I plant doubt, he runs home to his wife (a sunday school teacher) or calls his pastor and then comes back with the propaganda response, the smoke and mirrors, sometimes I corner him hard with a setup like....."there is only one god right?"...and he pounces, yes, only one god....then I refer him to Psalms 82.1 (KJV) - God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods.

Should have sen the eye wiggles and flushing of the skin...took him two days to come back with an email put together by his wife on why that was a "interpretation", and that how footnote 5 or whatever explained that blah blah blah...I just smiles and said a footnote? really? ..and started pantomiming a tap dance.

good times.

Yeah, but there's an understood debate there. I'm not objecting to loaded questions in and of themselves.

I'm talking about the dishonest approaches, the deceit when someone is being a "wolf in sheep's clothing" so to speak.
[+] 1 user Likes Charis's post
10-03-2014, 03:12 PM
(10-03-2014 03:08 PM)Charis Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 02:59 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  *giggles at AMWAY reference* Laughat

good times.

Yeah, but there's an understood debate there. I'm not objecting to loaded questions in and of themselves.

I'm talking about the dishonest approaches, the deceit when someone is being a "wolf in sheep's clothing" so to speak.

Yeah. Like SlimyJimmy. You know, the one that a few people are whining about me calling out for that same dishonesty and deceit. Rolleyes

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
10-03-2014, 03:13 PM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2014 03:28 PM by goodwithoutgod.)
(10-03-2014 03:08 PM)Charis Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 02:59 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  *giggles at AMWAY reference* Laughat

good times.

Oh I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Side note: My ship (navy officer) is in the shipyard, and everyday when I come through the turnstile for my 25 min walk to the parking lot (joy....but free exercise...unless it is raining...then ...oh joy) as I go down the sidewalk, I make it about 20 feet and inevitably the first car or two rolls its window down and a nice man is smiling pleasantly at me as he hands out his stack of propaganda BS with the WATCHTOWER prominently displayed on top. Now I just shake my head and say no thank you, I am an atheist, but I have been at this game awhile. I hate when they target the young sailors who are too polite to say no, and maybe will look at the propaganda and call the number...pisses me off.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
10-03-2014, 03:35 PM
(10-03-2014 12:52 PM)War Horse Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 12:39 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Not all of them, you have to remember a lot of atheists were once theists (like myself).

Fair enough, but were you out there trying to convert atheists and joining this kind of forum Huh

Yes I did, but I didn't join any forums (I didn't know they existed). Part if evangelism.

Atir aissom atir imon