Does White Privilege Exist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-06-2017, 04:46 PM
Does White Privilege Exist?
Here is one of many videos that debunk white privilege. Please watch it.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
28-06-2017, 05:01 PM
RE: Does White Privilege Exist?
(28-06-2017 04:36 PM)JesseB Wrote:  I'm talking about the only sheriff on this mountain, his name is Scott. He also know's my name and where I live (well everyone know's my name and where I live up here) and he's deeply religious, that harassment isn't an indication nor is it intended to be an indication of any trends elsewhere. Add to that I'm not white, and I'm not liked by MOST of the community up here because I'm pretty much the ONLY person that doesn't go to church on Sundays.... yea there's a big red bullseye on my back up here. I've had Scott threaten to get warrants to arrest me for things that A) aren't even crimes and B) were things neighbors just made up about me to make me look bad. The people that know me know those rumors aren't true (Well ok I'm also not straight which is one of the reasons people don't like me but the fact that I'm Bi is just a rumor up here I neither confirm nor deny).
I don't think I'd be able to survive in a community like that. Big respect to you for being able to.

(28-06-2017 04:36 PM)JesseB Wrote:  Convicted of being black is a bit of sarcasm with a bit of truth to it, like saying you got pulled over for a DWB (driving while black), it's a bit of dark humor meant to illustrate the problem.
Well, surely it's only if you are driving in a nice car rather than a rust bucket.
<Oh, I'm just going with this dark humor too>

(28-06-2017 04:36 PM)JesseB Wrote:  Again though the discrimination against poor people in the US is usually I think more impactful than racial discrimination these days, though if your not white and poor you can get a double whammy as has been mentioned above (NOT always though, after all you can find plenty of video's of cops shooting unarmed people just because they are black).
Yeah, been watching this whole Trump thing go down. Seems that there is a serious attack on the poor. They would rather the poor die than have to fork out for medicine for them.
28-06-2017, 06:56 PM
(27-06-2017 03:35 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  [...]
So, dose 'White Privilege' exist? In my mind, not everywhere. There are places you will find assholes who will chose a white person over a colored person. Does this make all white people evil, greedy, privileged? Nope, just means you met someone who is.

Because I've seen some white people who aren't as Privileged as you'd think. And there are times I see some who are as Privileged as you'd think.

The real question, are we going to let the assholes speak the loudest and take positions of power?

But, there is my two cents. Way off? Nearly there? Or hit the nail on the head?

White privilege does exist, but it's not a homogenous thing. As you observe, some are more privileged than others. But it does exist, sometimes very subtly, in things like institutionalized racism, of which many people with the best of intentions aren't even aware.

You might like this:
What does it mean to be white in America?
It won't answer your question directly, but it may provide some additional perspectives from which to make your own judgments.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
28-06-2017, 07:42 PM
(27-06-2017 07:47 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  So from what I'm gathering, Class Privilege and White Privilege are often interchanged.

Not so much interchanged, I think, as confused.
One can have both white and class privilege, or one might have either without the other.

Certainly I've seen my share of white people slammed onto the hoods of police cars; it's happened to me. The distinction is that I don't believe any of them (that I witnessed, at least) were treated like that because they were white. It was because they looked like they were poor, or like they were transient, or because they were wearing the wrong clothes for the neighborhood they were passing through, or because they couldn't keep their mouth shut and said something that pissed off the cop. Sometimes it was because they were hanging out with non-white companions.

The point being that "black" is often the first thing a "peace" officer sees, and that carries a lot of pre-constructed baggage with it. Whereas, with us honkeys, the cop has to go that one step further and construe something more about us than the simple fact of our perceived skin color. Even in the situation where I got slammed to the hood there was white privilege at work. I got slammed not because I was white[1], but because I said something that pissed off the cop. I've seen it done to black men who never opened their mouth.

Class privilege only works in situations where there is some overt thing which can be construed as an indicator of class status. IOW, if you have one white guy in a Wall-Street businessman's suit and one in a ripped T-shirt and jeans, the suit is going to be perceived as higher up on the class totem -- even if the suit is a strip-club bouncer and the T-shirt is a Harvard dean, slumming on his day off. OTOH, if you put a white guy in T-shirt and jeans and a black guy in T-shirt and jeans side by side, in many situations the black guy is going to be perceived as more threatening. That's a subtle form of white privilege, manifesting as a bit of systemic racism.

The problem is that privilege can be difficult to perceive as such if you've always had it. It sometimes take walking a mile in the other guy's shoes to detect it. To me, one of the most profound accounts of this -- although it's nearly 60 years old -- is John Howard Griffin's Black Like Me. In the early 1960s he visits various places in the deep South, first as a white man; then as a black man. The differences in how he is treated are striking and profound.

[1] I mention in passing that the state of Oregon recently, perhaps unwittingly, and much to my amusement, defined me as a "person of color".
But I digress . . . Smile

--
Dr H

[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
28-06-2017, 07:58 PM
(27-06-2017 08:58 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  White privilege includes the privilege of pretending white privilege doesn't really exist.

Y'know . . . I know exactly what you mean by that, and yet the particular phrasing of that statement grates on me.
It's a little too similar to conspiracy-theorist logic, whereby any evidence against the theory du jour is taken as support for the conspiracy, on the grounds that it can only possibly be a cover up.

As I say elsewhere, I think it's difficult for someone to perceive their privilege if they've always had it, and never been outside it.
It's more a case of 'not being able to see the forest for the trees', than an outright denial that the forest exists.

--
Dr H

[+] 3 users Like Dr H's post
28-06-2017, 08:10 PM
(27-06-2017 11:03 PM)Stevil Wrote:  They get rewards without deserving them, they get jobs that they aren't qualified for, so they then suck at those jobs

Wait... when did we start talking about Congress?

--
Dr H

[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
28-06-2017, 08:16 PM
(28-06-2017 08:25 AM)Emma Wrote:  
(28-06-2017 07:19 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  If you cannot understand that LGBT rights are not about advocating public orgies, again, you are privileged and an utter fucking moron.

That's not to say that public orgies aren't like... the best idea ever, right? Tongue

Only if there's good beer, too. Wink

--
Dr H

[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
28-06-2017, 08:27 PM
(28-06-2017 02:20 PM)Stevil Wrote:  But if the problem is that a high percentage of blacks commit crimes, then the solution is to try to prevent blacks from committing crimes
That solution is just a stopgap. Correlation is not causality.

The real problem is to analyze a) are a high percentage of blacks committing crimes? b) if so, why is that percentage higher than in other populations, and c) do they happen to share traits other than skin color with other high-crime populations: poverty; unemployment; lack of opportunity of advancement, etc., etc.

A problem is solved by discovering its roots, and attacking those roots.
Attacking only the most obvious symptoms doesn't solve the problem; it just covers it up.

--
Dr H

[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
28-06-2017, 08:36 PM
The obvious solution is to give me all the money and I'll personally go around and give every black person a bright shiny nickel.
28-06-2017, 08:40 PM
@Dr H

I pretty much agree with you on many of your points. However I do think that KUSA and his video does also make some valid points, I wouldn't say that white privilege is bullshit, though I'm personally not a fan of the term itself the ideas with int it many of which are real problems even if in practice there are plenty of people of all races that do as well if not better than white people financially. How do I put it, you know that bit people keep mentioning about how subtle it is, like especially if you're not white, mixed race or well poor it's much easier to see but that doesn't mean people can't succeed in America. I think there's a problem that some people want to over extend the reach of racism or misrepresent what it is to be.... well it seems they want people to think like slavery is still around. It's not it seems like they try to take an unrealistic view and this isn't helpful to fixing the real issues here, all it does is serve as a platform for them to write off or justify their own racism towards others. As I've stated before the answer to racism is NOT more racism. BUT on the flip side others would point to KUSA's video and act like idk "racism is fixed" it's not fixed. Likely it will never be fixed, first inequality will always exist THAT is not an achievable goal in any way and the more extreme methods of trying to achieve that goal involve thought police and mass murder. The real goal should be to not make everything blanket equal in outcome, but certainly help control, manage or mitigate the inequality (for instance removing the concept of inheritance to make the USA A true meritocracy, campaign finance reform to help prevent laws that favor the rich and their interests, finding some way to get cops to stop killing ever damn black person they see (an exaggeration but you get my meaning) and ensuring that everyone has a minimum standard of living that is acceptable and has access to proper medical care and the tools needed to allow them to achieve any goal they desire (education). I find it interesting that KUSA's video mentions the drop out rates of black people vs white people without considering what really causes that discrepancy. The video assumes it's simply a cultural thing "lazy inner city poor people just dont' wanna get an education" bullshit I'd give my left fucking nut for a chance at college. Fuck take em both give me college. PLEASE. It's not that simple poverty makes college fucking impossible for many/most and your more likely to be impoverished if you A was born in the US and B are not white. So no there's real stuff going on here and KUSA's video while having some good facts isn't illustrating the whole picture. But then the other side has plenty of misleading cherry picked data too and now you see why this is such a big issue. Step one to solving an issue is look at the problem objectively, no more lying to oneself or using cherry picked data and confirmation bias to hold on to your position (on EITHER side).

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post