Does White Privilege Exist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2017, 08:03 PM
RE: Does White Privilege Exist?
(01-07-2017 02:04 PM)Stevil Wrote:  but, lets not forget that the majority of USA did actually vote for Obama.

About 75% of the US population were eligible to vote when Obama first ran;
about 58% of those actually turned out and voted;
about 53% of those voted for Obama.

That's about 23% of the total population,
or about 31% of the voting population.
Hard to construe a "majority of the USA" out of that.

What Obama did get was 68% of the electoral vote, but that's a whole other thing.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2017, 08:08 PM
(03-07-2017 08:03 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(01-07-2017 02:04 PM)Stevil Wrote:  but, lets not forget that the majority of USA did actually vote for Obama.

About 75% of the US population were eligible to vote when Obama first ran;

What Obama did get was 68% of the electoral vote, but that's a whole other thing.
OK, of those that voted, he got the majority vote.

Could we assume those that had strong anti-black sentiment, that they would have been motivated to get up off their arse and vote?, especially for Obama's second term. So their numbers weren't strong enough to stop Obama winning.
03-07-2017, 08:10 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2017 09:09 PM by Dr H.)
(01-07-2017 02:14 PM)Stevil Wrote:  I'd make Affirmative action against the law.
In the US it was against the law, for about 190 years.

During that time what human rights progress there was came as the result of the second most casualty-laden war in our history, 89 years of overt legal and social discrimination, and 14 years of overt violence in the streets.

Quote:What would you do?
Level the playing field by the most expedient, preferably non-violent, means available.

--
Dr H

03-07-2017, 08:19 PM
(01-07-2017 02:38 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  White privilege takes many different guises based on the culture we're discussing, and that culture's history. Maybe in NZ you don't actually have much white preference built into your society. As I've said a couple of times, I am addressing my experience with it, here in Amer -- uh, the USA. I don't deign to speak about issues in your country, because I don't much follow them and cannot speak intelligently on your local issues.

Y'know, the OP was made by a person who gives her location as "United States".

So I'm not really clear on why anyone would have imagined we were discussing the concept of "white privilege" anywhere other than in the United States.

Just sayin' . . . Tongue

--
Dr H

[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
03-07-2017, 08:32 PM
(02-07-2017 01:47 AM)SYZ Wrote:  â€”Incidentally, if anyone wants to read a stomach-churning report by a Catholic apologist in favour of refusing to employ homosexual teachers in Catholic schools, check this out: Should Catholic Schools Be Allowed to Discriminate?.

Actually, in the US, that one is fairly simple. Not that there aren't people that gripe about it. It works like this: If you want to run a school that limits its admissions, services, and employment opportunities to a particular portion or portions of the population -- say Catholics, or heterosexuals -- you are free to do so, as a private school. That means you can't get any money from the government, period; you have to raise all your operating expenses yourself, through tuition or whatever other means you can devise.

It only becomes a problem when those running a school want to be able to do both: discriminate and suck at the government tit -- as of course, many would like to. Sorry, can't do both. But it's entirely their choice which way they go.

--
Dr H

03-07-2017, 08:37 PM
(02-07-2017 06:55 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Nonsense. I know white privilege exists here in America, and I also reject the concept of "cultural appropriation".
Same here.

--
Dr H

03-07-2017, 09:06 PM
(03-07-2017 08:03 PM)Stevil Wrote:  You teach about racism? Are you a history teacher, or does this also expand into current day USA?
I do civil rights and diversity trainings, primarily for social service institutions.
They need to be kept abreast of current laws and standards for cultural competency.

Quote:I watched "Hidden figures" the other day, was a bit surprised about the segregation, blacks only toilets, blacks only seats on the bus, blacks only coffee machines. Looked it up on Wikipedia, USA had this going on for sometime until 1964 Civil Rights Act?
Yep. That was largely in the deep South -- but it spilled over elsewhere.
I know an old tavern in upstate New York where you could still see (10 years ago) where the "Coloreds Entrance" sign over the rear door had been painted out. Oregon had "sundown towns" up until 1968 (e.g., it was a crime for a black person to be found in town after sundown). Maryland had anti-miscegenation laws on its books until they were declared void by the US Supreme Court in 1967.

Quote:This FHA thing was in 1934, and lasted until 1968. So around about that period too.
Yeah, I can understand that something like housing can still have significant repercussions today.
Real estate red-lining was still officially going on in some places as recently as 1974; unofficially, it's still going on in such areas as retailing, financial services, insurance, and several other areas. Arguably it is still going on to some extent in mortgage lending, even though that has technically been illegal for some time now.

--
Dr H

[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
03-07-2017, 09:08 PM
(03-07-2017 08:08 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(03-07-2017 08:03 PM)Dr H Wrote:  About 75% of the US population were eligible to vote when Obama first ran;

OK, of those that voted, he got the majority vote.

Could we assume those that had strong anti-black sentiment, that they would have been motivated to get up off their arse and vote?, especially for Obama's second term. So their numbers weren't strong enough to stop Obama winning.

All that matters in US Presidential elections is the electoral vote.

--
Dr H

03-07-2017, 11:35 PM
(03-07-2017 12:05 AM)BlkFnx Wrote:  ...when I use the term "white" I'm not referring to skin color, but rather Nordic protestant Christian values.

What the fuck does this mean? Why only people from Denmark, Norway, Finland, and Sweden? And what do geographical boundaries or religion have to do with the generic term "white". White person is a racial classification specifier, widely used for people of mainly European ancestry, and commonly Caucasian.

When you use the term "white" you are referring to skin colour—even if you don't know it. Facepalm

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
04-07-2017, 12:36 AM
(03-07-2017 03:01 PM)Stevil Wrote:  I've probably said all I can say.
I am not an academic in this field. I am offering my unqualified opinion. I am not expecting you to believe me, or change your mind towards my opinion.
Likewise, in the end.

Quote:I am wholly against racism and racist policies, and I am for finding root cause to problems rather than putting band aids onto them. I am weary of the consequences of implementing racist solutions to assumed racist problems. I know of examples where these solutions cause seemingly non racist people to start considering the race of an employee or doctor where otherwise they would not have been concerned.
I am less concerned with perceptions and more concerned with actual results. Perhaps it's less of a thing in NZ, but definitely here there's a massive population of poor people, 99% people of colour. There is a small, growing middle class and a tiny elite class. Despite 20 years of apartheid policies officially ending there is very little class mobility. If you're born poor and black, that's how you stay. So I see affirmative action as a necessary thing - all the companies won't change without the impetus, and politically it's impossible to do nothing, the whole reason the successive governments have been elected has been with the mandate to end the poverty and discrimination faced by the majority of the country. Admittedly they've so far not succeeded, there has been some progress but it's mostly been window dressing, and what progress there is has been hamstrung by corruption and other challenges. Which ironically has now given the corrupt crowd another string to their bow as they claim all the problems faced by South Africa right now are the fault of "White monopoly capital". Dodgy

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.