Does White Privilege Exist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-07-2017, 03:30 AM
RE: Does White Privilege Exist?
(04-07-2017 12:36 AM)morondog Wrote:  I am less concerned with perceptions and more concerned with actual results. Perhaps it's less of a thing in NZ, but definitely here there's a massive population of poor people, 99% people of colour. There is a small, growing middle class and a tiny elite class. Despite 20 years of apartheid policies officially ending there is very little class mobility. If you're born poor and black, that's how you stay. So I see affirmative action as a necessary thing - all the companies won't change without the impetus, and politically it's impossible to do nothing, the whole reason the successive governments have been elected has been with the mandate to end the poverty and discrimination faced by the majority of the country. Admittedly they've so far not succeeded, there has been some progress but it's mostly been window dressing, and what progress there is has been hamstrung by corruption and other challenges. Which ironically has now given the corrupt crowd another string to their bow as they claim all the problems faced by South Africa right now are the fault of "White monopoly capital". Dodgy
South Africa is a whole 'nother ball game.
We get lots of white South Africans coming to NZ. In my experience they have tended to be Project Managers for some reason. I don't think I've met a black South African, perhaps they don't have the money to travel or migrate out.

My last SA project manager liked to watch a youtube clip of your leader struggling to pronounce a large number. She seemed to find it very funny.
I think it's this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf8OFQiL2CE
And I did work with a young south african (many years ago) who said from time to time that he thought blacks in SA were more like animals.
It didn't go down too well over here of course.
I think his beef was that he thought they had lots of babies and many died, But I was thinking perhaps that's just the way it has to be over there if health care isn't available then perhaps that is just the way of life, having many babies so that at least a few survive??????
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2017, 03:46 AM
(04-07-2017 03:30 AM)Stevil Wrote:  if health care isn't available then perhaps that is just the way of life, having many babies so that at least a few survive??????

There's a close correlation between per capita GDP and less babies IIRC. Health-care over here is decent. There are the odd epidemics - HIV is one that's now under control, thanks to anti-retroviral medications being freely available.

That South African project manager sounds like one of our worse exports. You can keep him, we don't want him back.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
04-07-2017, 04:02 AM
(04-07-2017 03:46 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(04-07-2017 03:30 AM)Stevil Wrote:  if health care isn't available then perhaps that is just the way of life, having many babies so that at least a few survive??????

There's a close correlation between per capita GDP and less babies IIRC. Health-care over here is decent. There are the odd epidemics - HIV is one that's now under control, thanks to anti-retroviral medications being freely available.

That South African project manager sounds like one of our worse exports. You can keep him, we don't want him back.
Yeah, I don't know what goes on over there. From what I gather SA sounds a bit dangerous and there is probably quite a disconnect between the blacks and the whites.

I think you guys are fortunate to have such a rich wildlife though.
04-07-2017, 04:35 AM
(04-07-2017 04:02 AM)Stevil Wrote:  Yeah, I don't know what goes on over there. From what I gather SA sounds a bit dangerous and there is probably quite a disconnect between the blacks and the whites.
Less dangerous than the USA though Smile

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
04-07-2017, 02:22 PM
(04-07-2017 04:35 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(04-07-2017 04:02 AM)Stevil Wrote:  Yeah, I don't know what goes on over there. From what I gather SA sounds a bit dangerous and there is probably quite a disconnect between the blacks and the whites.
Less dangerous than the USA though Smile
Sorry, this might be a really ignorant question, but I've only heard stories, I haven't been over there.

Is it common to have bars on your windows and perhaps boundary fences with barb wire or glass on top surrounding your residential house?
05-07-2017, 12:22 AM
(04-07-2017 02:22 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(04-07-2017 04:35 AM)morondog Wrote:  Less dangerous than the USA though Smile
Sorry, this might be a really ignorant question, but I've only heard stories, I haven't been over there.

Is it common to have bars on your windows and perhaps boundary fences with barb wire or glass on top surrounding your residential house?

It depends where you are. In the city yes, not really in the country. You barely notice it after a while, it just becomes part of routine. Also most cities have become a lot safer recently - private security firms - but the habits of keeping everything secure are hard to break. Even so, violent crime is still quite common. Nearly everyone I know has either experienced it or had a close relative or friend who's had an incident. Once you've been tied up in your own home and had a gun waved under your nose there's a tendency to paranoia.

There's an issue here, and that's that those with money (middle and upper class) tend to build a higher wall or install a more high-tech alarm system or invest in more heavily armed guards. There's no real will to address the root cause, which is that the inequality here is the highest in the world I believe. Government policies to address it have so far been ineffective and most of those who could do anything see no real reason to bother. People seem to see poverty itself as being a crime.

So there's a genuine incentive for crime - some guy who's down on his luck only has to steal one or two things from a rich guy's home and he's got it made - more money than he's probably ever seen in his life, provided he can fence the goods.

There's an oscar award winning film that came out a few years ago - Tsotsi. Well worth watching. It gave me cold shivers. Portrays the situation fairly well. Both the crime and the fact that the criminals themselves are human.

Nevertheless, we're not so far gone that a guy can be shot in his car in cold blood and the perp get away with it.

05-07-2017, 01:49 AM (This post was last modified: 05-07-2017 01:53 AM by Stevil.)
(05-07-2017 12:22 AM)morondog Wrote:  Once you've been tied up in your own home and had a gun waved under your nose there's a tendency to paranoia.
Yeah, well, Shit!!

(05-07-2017 12:22 AM)morondog Wrote:  There's an oscar award winning film that came out a few years ago - Tsotsi. Well worth watching. It gave me cold shivers. Portrays the situation fairly well. Both the crime and the fact that the criminals themselves are human.
I'll look it up. Actually, I've just seen the trailer, looks good!

I like these international style movies.
In case your interested
NZ's famous ones are "Once were warriors" about an aggressive Maori guy who beats his wife. Pretty intense but got a huge profile over here. Lead actor is Temuera Morrison (he also played Boba Fet in Starwars and Moana's chief father in Moana)

And "Good bye pork pie" which is a road trip story NZ style.

[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post