Does White Privilege Exist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-06-2017, 09:20 PM
RE: Does White Privilege Exist?
(27-06-2017 09:13 PM)JesseB Wrote:  How about when you stop lying dude, you know damn well just like me the lower down the socioeconomic ladder you go prison populations even out between racial groups. I get as much of a hard time from the cops as anyone else who lives on 10,000 a year regardless of their skin color. I still have to be aware of course I get in a car with another Mexican and a cop drives by I know the thing he's thinking is "there's 2 Mexicans in that car they must be up to something" but then they'll say the same thing about any obviously poor person. so while what you say is true the further up you go in income, for those of us living in extreme poverty we all get an equal fuck you from the police and society at large. I could speak for all of those in my income bracket by saying that's an asinine statement. At least for those of us who really are suffering the most in society.

The greatest sin in America is to be born poor or to become poor. But hey it's ok go to a food bank so you can have rotten food served to you so all the rich folks can feel better cause clearly giving you rotten food is "helping" right?

Edit^ that came out more harsh than I like or intended. I get kinda fired up about poverty >.>

I'm glad you edited that. I was about to rock your fucking socks off for that bullshit.

I'm about as poor as it's possible to be, right now, due in large part to my incarceration (which has made meaningful employment almost impossible to find, despite the exoneration and despite the fact that I have a science degree), and manage to self-employ to an income of roughly $12,000 a year.

Don't you ever fucking call me a liar again.

I get as fired up as anyone on this planet about poverty issues... largely because I spent the first 3/4ths of my life not in poverty, and am now having to deal with the effects of being dirt poor. It gives me an interesting perspective, and certainly has enhanced my empathy for those who have always had to deal with the things with which I am just learning to cope.

I know damned well that poverty affects everything in this country. But speaking as a dirt poor white guy, who nevertheless is observant enough to tell the difference between when I'm harassed for being poor compared to what happens to people in my same shoes who also have a tan, and who knows that (as I said in my post where you called me a liar) poverty impacts everyone... but that you're more likely to be IN poverty in the first place if you come from a minority background because of the structured racist policies of this nation's past, and you're more likely to be targeted EVEN IF NOT IN POVERTY, making minority + poverty a "double whammy".

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
27-06-2017, 09:22 PM
(27-06-2017 09:13 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(27-06-2017 09:06 PM)JesseB Wrote:  You are re enforcing my point. She was stating what the other person was implying, not stating what she thinks she should do.

Once more, with a bit of reading comprehension this time, you don't mind. Drinking Beverage

She was talking about a (apparently hypothetical "someone"): "What scares me about people who tell me about white privilege is that one person who will look me in the eye and tell me I'm worth shit... even though I did nothing to them. Only because I'm white and so 'Privileged' means I am shit and should die." And only LATER claiming it's something that might have happened to a friend of hers.

And it's a ridiculous exaggeration and completely unwarranted by anything posted in the thread so far.

ETA: And I don't appreciate being told how to talk to people, RocketSurgeon. Everyone is responsible for themselves.

*sigh* I was trying to make peace. Feel however you want. Say whatever you want.

I'm fucking done.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
27-06-2017, 09:26 PM
(27-06-2017 09:13 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(27-06-2017 09:06 PM)JesseB Wrote:  You are re enforcing my point. She was stating what the other person was implying, not stating what she thinks she should do.

Once more, with a bit of reading comprehension this time, you don't mind. Drinking Beverage

She was talking about a (apparently hypothetical "someone"): "What scares me about people who tell me about white privilege is that one person who will look me in the eye and tell me I'm worth shit... even though I did nothing to them. Only because I'm white and so 'Privileged' means I am shit and should die." And only LATER claiming it's something that might have happened to a friend of hers.

And it's a ridiculous exaggeration and completely unwarranted by anything posted in the thread so far.

ETA: And I don't appreciate being told how to talk to people, RocketSurgeon. Everyone is responsible for themselves.

Again you continue to reinforce my point, again only with more reading comprehension this time. Please.

She wasn't talking about people in this thread, she was saying people she has met (I've met these people too) Honestly think white people should die for being white. Want me to pull up articles in the Huntington post and other respectable journals that espouse some pretty extremist views along the same vein as this? It's not that hard to find people saying white people should be banned from voting, so why is it so hard for you to accept that many openly call for genocide of whites? It really does happen, and it's just as wrong as any other call for genocide. MORE IMPORTANTLY! Even if the intended message wasn't that she should die because she's privileged that's how it makes her feel to be treated like that. It's a perfectly legitimate response. One that you wouldn't belittle if she were black because they HAVE been treated like that and you recognize it, but when things start swinging the other way you appear to be blind that we're about to commit the same crimes all over again only to a new soon to be marginalized group (well we might not if people wake up and listen to the wise words of Martin Luther King for example, judge people by the content of their character and not by the color of their skin, social justice, white privilege ect stand in direct opposition to his dream. the answer to racism is NOT more racism)

Example
http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/26/health/dre...index.html

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
27-06-2017, 09:29 PM
White privilege is penumbral. Asking for specific examples of it is like asking where daylight stops and night starts, because white privilege in America lives in the penumbra of the law -- technically illegal, but as broad as the twilight.
[+] 5 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
27-06-2017, 09:31 PM
(27-06-2017 09:26 PM)JesseB Wrote:  She wasn't talking about people in this thread, she was saying people she has met

Where exactly do I say she was told by people HERE she should die?

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
27-06-2017, 09:33 PM (This post was last modified: 27-06-2017 09:48 PM by JesseB.)
(27-06-2017 09:20 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(27-06-2017 09:13 PM)JesseB Wrote:  How about when you stop lying dude, you know damn well just like me the lower down the socioeconomic ladder you go prison populations even out between racial groups. I get as much of a hard time from the cops as anyone else who lives on 10,000 a year regardless of their skin color. I still have to be aware of course I get in a car with another Mexican and a cop drives by I know the thing he's thinking is "there's 2 Mexicans in that car they must be up to something" but then they'll say the same thing about any obviously poor person. so while what you say is true the further up you go in income, for those of us living in extreme poverty we all get an equal fuck you from the police and society at large. I could speak for all of those in my income bracket by saying that's an asinine statement. At least for those of us who really are suffering the most in society.

The greatest sin in America is to be born poor or to become poor. But hey it's ok go to a food bank so you can have rotten food served to you so all the rich folks can feel better cause clearly giving you rotten food is "helping" right?

Edit^ that came out more harsh than I like or intended. I get kinda fired up about poverty >.>

I'm glad you edited that. I was about to rock your fucking socks off for that bullshit.

I'm about as poor as it's possible to be, right now, due in large part to my incarceration (which has made meaningful employment almost impossible to find, despite the exoneration and despite the fact that I have a science degree), and manage to self-employ to an income of roughly $12,000 a year.

Don't you ever fucking call me a liar again.

I get as fired up as anyone on this planet about poverty issues... largely because I spent the first 3/4ths of my life not in poverty, and am now having to deal with the effects of being dirt poor. It gives me an interesting perspective, and certainly has enhanced my empathy for those who have always had to deal with the things with which I am just learning to cope.

I know damned well that poverty affects everything in this country. But speaking as a dirt poor white guy, who nevertheless is observant enough to tell the difference between when I'm harassed for being poor compared to what happens to people in my same shoes who also have a tan, and who knows that (as I said in my post where you called me a liar) poverty impacts everyone... but that you're more likely to be IN poverty in the first place if you come from a minority background because of the structured racist policies of this nation's past, and you're more likely to be targeted EVEN IF NOT IN POVERTY, making minority + poverty a "double whammy".

Agree and this is why I said that what people call white privilege does in fact exist, if for no other reason than during the period of slavery white people got a head start on everyone else on gathering wealth, however that isn't all white people, or even most white people, in fact it's a minority of white people who get to have this privilege since you are aware because you are poor too, hell we even live on about the same amount of money, it's fucking hell. I know lots of white people who get harassed by the cops all the time, and of course half my family is Mexican so I know that one too, and I see it with blacks. I don't know to me being abusively harassed by the cops is pretty shit regardless of your skin color. But your point about non white people being more likely to be poor is pretty correct, especially if they are from African or South American, or Native American decent.

My main point was people seem to be quite.... rough with Ruby and frankly nothing she has said seems to me to warrant the hostility. EVEN if some of what's been implied about her is correct she certainly isn't so far brainwashed that she couldn't be reasoned with. Attacking people just puts them on the defensive and makes it more difficult to reach them.

And I do apologize for calling you a liar like that, it was unwarranted.

Edit^ Actually I need to correct myself here.... Mexicans, whites, native Americans, Chinese and so on usually at least live through an encounter with a cop.... Black people do have the unique "privilege (obvious sarcasm)" of being shot dead most of the time long before the cop bothers to find out what's going on. "why did you shoot your gun? Well boss I saw a black person so I had to make sure before going to help the victim. But you do realize you shot the victim right? Yes boss but he was black. Ok fair enough give me 2 week suspension with pay (aka a vacation) and come back to work." Yea.... that shit really only happens to black people for the most part, it's fucking sick but you see cases of it EVER damn day in the news, I've never seen a Mexican treated that bad so... yea.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
27-06-2017, 09:38 PM
(27-06-2017 09:31 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(27-06-2017 09:26 PM)JesseB Wrote:  She wasn't talking about people in this thread, she was saying people she has met

Where exactly do I say she was told by people HERE she should die?

You insinuated that she thinks she should die because she's privileged and that she's gone off the rails in thinking that. And yet her comment wasn't at all what you implied it was. She was clearly talking about real life examples she's experienced. It's totally find to doubt her claims if she doesn't provide evidence, however putting words in her mouth and using them to attack her is what I take issue with. YOU may have an agenda, from what I can see she does not, even if some of her wording you don't really like. I am quite confident I can reason with her, but then I deal with real fucking racists every day, the kind that will fucking kill non white people. Not just say mean things but actually fucking kill people, and they'll get away with it too, usually.

I've reasoned with racists and made huge headway, their position is based in ignorance, I can't change how they feel that would be a long process but I do try to correct bullshit when I see it, and it's reasonably safe for me to do so (clearly I walk into someone's house and they have nazi shit all over it's not safe for me to openly admit I'm not white or correct them on their bullshit, and this has happened before, fucking scared the shit out of me cause I'm normally really careful).

Big Grin
27-06-2017, 09:39 PM
(27-06-2017 09:38 PM)JesseB Wrote:  You insinuated

Thank you for explaining to me what I said.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
27-06-2017, 09:44 PM
I actually had a pretty good post typed out...then I saw where this thread has turned into another 'pity' party with a bit of pissing contest thrown in and just said fuck it.

Lately things around here seem to either be asinine or vitriol spewing contests.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
27-06-2017, 09:47 PM (This post was last modified: 27-06-2017 09:56 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
Deleted.