Does Yahweh/Jeovah do anyting in the Bible that you'd consider "good"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-07-2016, 05:03 PM
Does Yahweh/Jeovah do anyting in the Bible that you'd consider "good"?
because I'm coming up empty handed. The Bible has stories that tell people to do good things, or describes good things people have done and attributed to God (I'd include Jesus in this category). However, it seems like any time the Bible describes God as directly intervening in human activities, bad things happen, often in the form of indiscriminate murder. Consider

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like cactus's post
10-07-2016, 05:33 PM
RE: Does Yahweh/Jeovah do anyting in the Bible that you'd consider "good"?
Hummmm. Consider

Drinking Beverage

Girl_nails

Dodgy

Consider

Nope. Can't think of a damned thing.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
10-07-2016, 06:04 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2016 06:07 PM by SitaSky.)
That is a very good question. I have to say what a Christian would answer "God made everything, the universe, our planet and our lives, we should be thankful." Ok but if that life in any way ends up with us spending a fucking eternity in Hell burning and screaming with no relief that isn't something to be happy about. The fact that Hell exists at all is pretty fucked up on his part. I'd rather not exist at all in that case.

As far as creating the universe,to what end? He never explains why he created it and life, not just us but all the animals and plants? For his glory? That's not a good reason to create something, it's actually pretty evil.

Just imagine a friend or family member telling you they want to have kids so they can be worshiped and loved by them, treated like a God basically. The kid can do whatever they want but if they don't bend the knee to their parent they will be locked in the basement and tortured, would you be happy they're creating a new life or concerned? You'd rightfully think that's pretty fucking evil. How Christians don't see this is beyond me.

The only other "good" things like you mentioned would be tainted by all that bloodshed ie. freeing the slaves in Egypt ,yay! Thumbsup Also killing all the first borns, boo! Sadcryface2

So no, can't think of one thing God ever did to warrant worship,being called good or all-good or the only truly good thing that ever existed, etc. If he's the standard for goodness, I am so happy to reject him, I don't care about his wizard powers, he can go fuck himself.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post
10-07-2016, 06:11 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2016 06:16 PM by cactus.)
I know exactly what Christians would say, any of the Christians I know, at least. John 3:16
I don't see what's good about that, though... at all

"Humans are doing horrible things, and are too shitty to worship my fine, handsome ass. Therefore, I'll let them do one more horrible thing, brutally murder my son. That will make up for all of their shittiness, as long as they're still willing to suck up to my fine, handsome ass."

I don't know any Christians who accept the idea of a blood sacrifice, but that's exactly what the Jesus story is. It's a fucking animal sacrifice story. Laugh out load

[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
10-07-2016, 06:13 PM
Fine I'll say it :/

He got crucified.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
10-07-2016, 06:20 PM
I would say no. Even as a Christian I would have said no. But my pastor would have sugarcoated some of the more dick passages with feel good thoughts explaining why God did what he did. We basically made him do it because he created us unthankful assholes. That basically would have been the gist from my church. And who are we to judge God? We should be thankful for Jesus. He's hanging on the cross for us. That makes any of the evil shenanigans God did A- ok. Hobo
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
10-07-2016, 06:20 PM
(10-07-2016 06:13 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Fine I'll say it :/

He got crucified.

1/3 of him at least, depending on who you ask Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
10-07-2016, 06:33 PM
You know what would be good? If he would pick a name and stick with it. Just pick a damn name already. Facepalm

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
10-07-2016, 07:17 PM
He drowned all those evil babies.

What ? Angel

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
10-07-2016, 08:07 PM
(10-07-2016 05:03 PM)cactus Wrote:  because I'm coming up empty handed. The Bible has stories that tell people to do good things, or describes good things people have done and attributed to God (I'd include Jesus in this category). However, it seems like any time the Bible describes God as directly intervening in human activities, bad things happen, often in the form of indiscriminate murder. Consider

God really doesn't do anything genuinely altruistic in the bible.

He helped free the Israelites from slavery, but he slaughtered the first born of Egypt along with countless other innocents, he then threw hissy fits of jealous rage towards the Israelites killing many of them in the process, eventually sending them into Babylonian exile.

So then he sends his son so mankind can reconcile with him, but any of those that don't believe, the majority of people on Earth, get to fry in hell and when he allegedly offers a way to be free from his wrath, it's just a marginal deliverance.

Atonement only covers about 1/7th of the world's population using the most generous definition of Christian.

God is great at fucking up 100% of everything and then can only offer a 14.3 percent solution.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post