Does Yahweh/Jeovah do anyting in the Bible that you'd consider "good"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-07-2016, 07:00 AM
RE: Does Yahweh/Jeovah do anyting in the Bible that you'd consider "good"?
(11-07-2016 06:49 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(10-07-2016 10:16 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  I guess I can't have my cake and eat it too.

Not quite long enough, eh?

define "long enough"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2016, 07:05 AM
(11-07-2016 07:00 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  
(11-07-2016 06:49 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Not quite long enough, eh?

define "long enough"

You were talking about your penis, then "having your cake and eating it too"...

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
11-07-2016, 07:10 AM
(11-07-2016 07:05 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(11-07-2016 07:00 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  define "long enough"

You were talking about your penis, then "having your cake and eating it too"...

i meant having a penis (good) and then having it mutilated and being told where to stick it (bad).
11-07-2016, 07:26 AM
(10-07-2016 05:03 PM)cactus Wrote:  because I'm coming up empty handed. The Bible has stories that tell people to do good things, or describes good things people have done and attributed to God (I'd include Jesus in this category). However, it seems like any time the Bible describes God as directly intervening in human activities, bad things happen, often in the form of indiscriminate murder. Consider

Are you talking about in totality, or just cherry picked good things? It's kind of like asking if John Wayne Gacy or Ted Bundy ever did anything good. I'm sure they did, but... damn.

But if you're looking for cherry picked good things in the Bible, there are plenty of them. It's part of what make cherry picking the Bible so attractive. There are many examples of Jesus healing people. That's good! Just ignore all of the people who don't get healed. Jesus personally gives several people some fairly good advice about being kind to people, even when it's not convenient or they're foreigners. That's good! Just ignore the parts where YHWH tells his tribes to kill all the men, women, and boys, and to keep the girls for themselves.

...Although, I just realized you asked if YHWH did anything good, and I responded with things Jesus did. That does get a bit more tricky. I dunno... he let Abraham and Sarah have a kid in their 100s? He made Samson super strong (ignore all the murdering he did)? He eventually freed the Israeli slaves (ignore all the children he killed while doing so)? Yeah, that's actually really tough to come up with anything good, even trying to ignore all the context.
11-07-2016, 07:28 AM
I can think of several things God is depicted doing in the Bible, but they all come with asterisks. For example:

God makes the universe. (And also makes the evil serpent.)

God makes clothes for the two people who have just been kicked out into the cold cruel world. (He's the one kicking them out.)

God helps Noah, his family, and an implausibly large and yet not-possibly-sufficeint number of animals survive the flood. (Which He caused.)

God makes a covenant with Abraham. (Which Abraham earns by demonstrating his literal willingness to slaughter his son at God's behest.)

God gets Pharaoh to let the Jewish slaves go. (By murdering all the firstborn... AFTER Pharaoh was willing to let them go anyway, but God hardened his heart so He'd have an excuse to keep cursing Egypt.)

God parts the Red Sea. (And then waits to close it up for Egypt's armies to be on the sea bed so as to kill them, rather than closing it up sooner and so sparing their lives.)

On and on and on. I'm hard pressed to think of anything without an asterisk.

YES I KNOW I DIDN'T ACTUALLY HIT THE ASTERISK KEY IN THIS POST HERE ARE YOU HAPPY? ****************
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
11-07-2016, 08:55 AM
Without God, the Bible would be very boring. I have a sneaking fondness for thrillers where some major authority figure turns out to be the villain.

The God character in the Bible also provides a good example of the bad things that happen when people try to deal with a bully by being submissive and trying to please.
11-07-2016, 08:58 AM
He rested on the 7th day....

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
11-07-2016, 11:37 AM
Well there was that part where he became a man and died. Drinking Beverage Unfortunately the fucker apparently came back.

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
11-07-2016, 02:02 PM
Not a single thing. We are talking about the deity that killed the rest of the world in a flood, almost had a father sacrifice his son, and murder in the name of their religion. This is also the deity that inspired the entire Western Hemisphere to kill innocent people in the name of their religion with the Holy Roman Empire and the Crusades. The Ten Commandments are mostly common courtesy/ethical laws that each human is programmed with (frontal lobe/conscience.) Other than him being a jealous God that doesn't want you to worship anything other than him and dictate your life and actions, we all know to respect our parents, not to kill, steal and let jealousy/greed take over. There is nothing that the ideology has inspired that has been for the good of humanity.
11-07-2016, 04:48 PM
There cant be anything, really. Every slice of misery and pain is just as much the fault of god, as any remedy is, by virtue of his breadth of power and cause, if any of it is to be believed.
The talking points, mantras and cherry picked verses will always be the salve to the wrath and spite that fills the gaps. I would say it is hard to call anything good, when it is administered, at ransom, by the cause of harm.