Does anybody else sometimes get seriously scared of Christianity?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2013, 10:28 AM
Does anybody else sometimes get seriously scared of Christianity?
In the US..

I was just randomly reading up on the civil war a few months ago. It's a very interesting event, especially because it was incredibly recent. Now much of that was due to economics and lifestyle (I think), but the fact that the people in our country could turn against each other and kill so many is a terrifying piece of our history.

I DOUBT it will ever happen, but sometimes I imagine as Christianity wanes in popularity, a group will form to "preserve God's America". A group that feels their rights are being taken away because they can't teach creationism in school, or erect religious symbols using tax money. A group that feels non-theists, or even non-Christians can't be moral, or cannot comprehend the law of the land, or the way people are "supposed to live". A group that agrees with Sarah Palin when she says crap like in this article: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/12/06/sa...christmas/

SarahPalin Wrote:If you lose that foundation, John Adams was implicitly warning us, then we will not follow our constitution, there will be no reason to follow our constitution because it is a moral and religious people who understand that there is something greater than self, we are to live selflessly, and we are to be held accountable by our creator, so that is what our constitution is based on

It won't happen...it better not happen...but damn if it did. It's a scary thought.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
09-12-2013, 10:34 AM
RE: Does anybody else sometimes get seriously scared of Christianity?
(09-12-2013 10:28 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  In the US..

I was just randomly reading up on the civil war a few months ago. It's a very interesting event, especially because it was incredibly recent. Now much of that was due to economics and lifestyle (I think), but the fact that the people in our country could turn against each other and kill so many is a terrifying piece of our history.

I DOUBT it will ever happen, but sometimes I imagine as Christianity wanes in popularity, a group will form to "preserve God's America". A group that feels their rights are being taken away because they can't teach creationism in school, or erect religious symbols using tax money. A group that feels non-theists, or even non-Christians can't be moral, or cannot comprehend the law of the land, or the way people are "supposed to live". A group that agrees with Sarah Palin when she says crap like in this article: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/12/06/sa...christmas/

SarahPalin Wrote:If you lose that foundation, John Adams was implicitly warning us, then we will not follow our constitution, there will be no reason to follow our constitution because it is a moral and religious people who understand that there is something greater than self, we are to live selflessly, and we are to be held accountable by our creator, so that is what our constitution is based on

It won't happen...it better not happen...but damn if it did. It's a scary thought.

Seems the people today swear on the constitution to uphold the bible.

Every single year there's someone talking about the (non) war on christmas.

Hell, we even deck our forum walls in red and green...with some sort of snowflakey thing....

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

09-12-2013, 10:39 AM
(09-12-2013 10:28 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  ...

Don't worry.

Over here, in the sane hemisphere, we have a plan...

If it gets out of control in the US, we'll ask China to nuke you.

Problem solved.

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
09-12-2013, 10:43 AM
(09-12-2013 10:39 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(09-12-2013 10:28 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  ...

Don't worry.

Over here, in the sane hemisphere, we have a plan...

If it gets out of control in the US, we'll ask China to nuke you.

Problem solved.

Always a comfort and joy....

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
09-12-2013, 10:46 AM
Religion is nothing to be scared of as claims and concepts. Having said that, ALL religions should be treated like poison. Much like you cant rid the world of tornados or volcanos, but you should study them and question them to prevent them from becoming abusive. Containment in the form of anti monopoly and separation laws allows them to exist but does not allow abuse of power.

Christianity is not the only religion on the face of the planet. It is also a myth with eastern religions such as Buddhism and Hinduism that they are violence free. All of human history is full of tribalism and division. Religion takes our natural instincts and turns them into bulshit utopias that don't exist.

We are ultimately all part of the same evolution so even atheists given enough power are still subject to oppressing others. Evolution doesn't care how we get to the point of reproduction and both cruelty and cooperation work.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-12-2013, 10:48 AM
Quote:I imagine as Christianity wanes in popularity, a group will form to "preserve God's America".

It's called the republicunt party.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
09-12-2013, 11:00 AM
Quote: Seems the people today swear on the constitution to uphold the bible.

That is a result of almost 60 years of the cold war scare. Combined with falling wages and increasing lack of educational standards especially on the issue of constitutional civics.

Most morons think "So help me god" is mandatory, but if these same idiots would actually read the oath of office those words are NOT there, and on top of that it says "NO RELIGIOUS TEST".

Most people are also unaware of the Barbary Treaty article 11, "As the government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion" Signed by both houses of congress without dissent into law by President John Adams June 10th 1797.

The constitution allows you to attribute the defense of the Constitution to a god, but not a state mandated god. You could swear to Allah or Vishnu or no god whatsoever. In theory that was their intent. But since day one when the ink was dry Christians stupidly thought "Oh as long as you pick some sort of Christian god".

No, otherwise we would not have Jews today and Muslims today and even an atheist today serving in OUR congress. That is why "NO RELIGIOUS TEST" is there. To prevent social pecking orders in the form of an official state religion.

I'd suggest to the idiots that think the Constitution backs up a theocracy to try to be an open Christian in Iran or Saudi Arabia and run for political office there. They'd be begging for "No religious test".

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
09-12-2013, 11:08 AM
(09-12-2013 11:00 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
Quote: Seems the people today swear on the constitution to uphold the bible.

That is a result of almost 60 years of the cold war scare. Combined with falling wages and increasing lack of educational standards especially on the issue of constitutional civics.

Most morons think "So help me god" is mandatory, but if these same idiots would actually read the oath of office those words are NOT there, and on top of that it says "NO RELIGIOUS TEST".

Most people are also unaware of the Barbary Treaty article 11, "As the government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion" Signed by both houses of congress without dissent into law by President John Adams June 10th 1797.

The constitution allows you to attribute the defense of the Constitution to a god, but not a state mandated god. You could swear to Allah or Vishnu or no god whatsoever. In theory that was their intent. But since day one when the ink was dry Christians stupidly thought "Oh as long as you pick some sort of Christian god".

No, otherwise we would not have Jews today and Muslims today and even an atheist today serving in OUR congress. That is why "NO RELIGIOUS TEST" is there. To prevent social pecking orders in the form of an official state religion.

I'd suggest to the idiots that think the Constitution backs up a theocracy to try to be an open Christian in Iran or Saudi Arabia and run for political office there. They'd be begging for "No religious test".

That is the problem most americans are myopic in their world view and for some odd reason believe the whole world already thinks as they do or should.

09-12-2013, 03:06 PM
Christianity doesn't scare me.

Christians, however, do. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
09-12-2013, 05:41 PM
Sarah Palin is a moron. John Adams would probably smash her in the head with a mug of beer if he could.

“The only reason people do not know much is because they do not care to know. They are incurious. Incuriousity is the oddest and most foolish failing there is.” -Stephen Fry
[+] 4 users Like Fat Mac's post