Does anybody whistle?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2017, 02:07 PM
Does anybody whistle?
Do you ever whistle? I hardly ever hear people whistle anymore. My grandfather used to whistle all the time and make trill whistling sounds and all sorts of neat music. He did bird sounds too. I used to whistle when I was a kid and thought it was really cool. I could never whistle the way my brothers could though. They did the thing where you put two of your fingers in your mouth and make a huge, loud, piercing sound.

Here's a place that uses whistling to communicate. It's pretty neat!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
06-08-2017, 02:17 PM
RE: Does anybody whistle?
I whistle.

When I was a little girl, I discovered that I could whistle and I guess I drove everyone crazy. My grandma said to me: Every time a girl whistles, Mother Mary cries in heaven".

It was improper for girls to whistle. I whistled anyway, and I still often do when doing chores. Hubby and I used to whistle together on road trips, all kinds of old songs.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
06-08-2017, 02:22 PM
Yeah, I often like to whistle while alone (I don't want to annoy people) as a way of keeping spirits up.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-08-2017, 02:24 PM
(06-08-2017 02:17 PM)Dom Wrote:  I whistle.

When I was a little girl, I discovered that I could whistle and I guess I drove everyone crazy. My grandma said to me: Every time a girl whistles, Mother Mary cries in heaven".

It was improper for girls to whistle. I whistled anyway, and I still often do when doing chores. Hubby and I used to whistle together on road trips, all kinds of old songs.

Huh? Huh Whistling causes "Mother Mary cries in heaven"???!!!! What the hell? Why would whistling be so horrible for a girl to do? What's the religious thinking on this? Like, do they think men will come running from far and wide and deflower a girl or something?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
06-08-2017, 02:25 PM
(06-08-2017 02:24 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(06-08-2017 02:17 PM)Dom Wrote:  I whistle.

Huh? Huh Whistling causes "Mother Mary cries in heaven"???!!!! What the hell? Why would whistling be so horrible for a girl to do? What's the religious thinking on this? Like, do they think men will come running from far and wide and deflower a girl or something?

Dunno. I think it just wasn't "lady like" and Mother Mary got trotted out. Catholic family.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
06-08-2017, 02:35 PM
Never been able to whistle; not even a single note. It is completely mystifying that anybody can make those sounds.

Weeping

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
06-08-2017, 02:41 PM
I whistle constantly due to the sour taste in my mouth.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
06-08-2017, 03:16 PM
My dad used to whistle a lot. I didn't realize how rare it was till I started working where I am now. There was a woman there who whistled while she was preparing her lunch or making a cup of coffee. It took me by surprise the first time I heard her.

I can whistle...just not whistle a tune. When my kids were young I would whistle for them when it was time to come home from whatever yard in the neighborhood they were hanging out in.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
06-08-2017, 03:32 PM
(06-08-2017 02:24 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Whistling causes "Mother Mary cries in heaven"???!!!! What the hell? Why would whistling be so horrible for a girl to do?

What the hell, indeed; as Clive Anderson says, "you just put your lips together and blow" Angel

I can whistle (including with my fingers). Never do it, though. When in a merry mood meprefers to sing...

Dom, there is a humourous, old rhyme in Bulgaria, how someone's whistling and everyone should give him a piece of shit. My dad sometimes says it around the house. Is a joke though.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
06-08-2017, 03:40 PM
I whistle all the time when I'm in a good mood and wandering through town. I hope I'm not annoying anybody. I've improved at it immensely. I don't miss notes and can add vibrato and whatnot now. A far cry from when I was just a boy.

If someone told me to shut up while whistling that would make me sad. Sad

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 7 ~
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmo's post