Does anybody whistle?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2017, 05:41 PM
RE: Does anybody whistle?
(06-08-2017 05:34 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  
(06-08-2017 05:29 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Here's some video from the 2017 Whistling Competition. Enjoy. Because you damned well know you wanna watch this.

Interesting. I wonder how they judge it, or who gets to be judge and why.

She does

[Image: 600px-Whistlers_Mother_high_res.jpg]

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like unfogged's post
06-08-2017, 05:45 PM
I can whistle a tune. Every once in a while I have to play some piece that requires whistling. It's not my favorite thing to do. The cat hates it.

The one kind of whistle I'd like to be able to do is that WHEE-A-WHEET! thing.
06-08-2017, 07:12 PM
Only while I work.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
06-08-2017, 07:31 PM
(06-08-2017 07:12 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Only while I work.

Or, whenever you feel afraid.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
06-08-2017, 07:41 PM
I once got chewed out by my boss at my first job for whistling.
He said I couldn't possibly be devoting my full attention to my work flipping burgers. Tongue
It turned out being harder than I thought it would be because I'd grown used to doing it all the time.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
07-08-2017, 07:47 AM
(06-08-2017 02:35 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Never been able to whistle; not even a single note. It is completely mystifying that anybody can make those sounds.

Weeping

Me neither. I can't say I ever really tried very hard, but it's a skill I've never acquired. It may or may not be annoying to me when someone else does it, depending on circumstances. I used to have a co-worker who whistled non-stop, no matter what he was doing, and I never recognized any tune -- it was just "aimless whistling". That used to annoy me. I always wanted to ask him whether he whistled in his sleep, but I'm not quite that rude. And my brother used to "whistle along" (the way some people "sing along") with music on records or on the radio. That also used to annoy me. When Eric Clapton or Carlos Santana is playing a guitar solo, I do not want to hear someone whistling along with it -- I want to hear the damn solo!

But when Otis Redding whistles the last verse of "Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay", that is sublime.

As for the "high-pitched shriek" whistle (with fingers in mouth), I absolutely hate that. It hurts my ears. When someone does that, I want to punch them.

Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
07-08-2017, 08:11 AM
My older brother taught me to whistle, and probably regrets it--I was really annoying Tongue

I've gotten really good at it. Sometimes I'll randomly make a tweet noise identical to the one your phone makes. I've made so many people check their phones Big Grin

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 2 users Like Loom's post
07-08-2017, 08:14 AM
(07-08-2017 07:47 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  ...When Eric Clapton or Carlos Santana is playing a guitar solo, I do not want to hear someone whistling along with it -- I want to hear the damn solo!

But when Otis Redding whistles the last verse of "Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay", that is sublime.

As for the "high-pitched shriek" whistle (with fingers in mouth), I absolutely hate that. It hurts my ears. When someone does that, I want to punch them.

Tongue

I agree on all counts, and that loud piercing whistle is one reason I don't go to concerts. I won't even listen to music recorded live, if people are whistling like that. It completely ruins it for me.
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
07-08-2017, 10:00 AM
And here I thought shephards whistled the dog commands without any apparatus. Talk about a piercing sound, the sheep dog whistle hurts my ears. If I were a dog I'd attack the guy with the damned whistle just to shut him up. I sure love his accent though.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
07-08-2017, 11:24 AM
Yeah... I can whistle, although when I do—usually as I'm working around the house—I often hear a shout from another room, Shut the fuck uuuuup willya! Big Grin

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post