Does anybody whistle?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-08-2017, 12:13 PM
RE: Does anybody whistle?
(07-08-2017 10:00 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  And here I thought shephards whistled the dog commands without any apparatus. Talk about a piercing sound, the sheep dog whistle hurts my ears. If I were a dog I'd attack the guy with the damned whistle just to shut him up. I sure love his accent though.

For some reason, the last one of those reminds me of "Squeal like a pig! Wheee! Wheee!" from Deliverance.

Laugh out load
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
07-08-2017, 12:59 PM
(07-08-2017 11:24 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Yeah... I can whistle, although when I do—usually as I'm working around the house—I often hear a shout from another room, Shut the fuck uuuuup willya! Big Grin

Laugh out load I get the same thing.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
08-08-2017, 02:48 PM
(06-08-2017 02:07 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Do you ever whistle?
Only when I'm walking through a graveyard at midnight. Shocking

Quote:I hardly ever hear people whistle anymore. My grandfather used to whistle all the time and make trill whistling sounds and all sorts of neat music. He did bird sounds too. I used to whistle when I was a kid and thought it was really cool. I could never whistle the way my brothers could though. They did the thing where you put two of your fingers in your mouth and make a huge, loud, piercing sound.
Seriously, I do whistle, but not the fingers-in-the-mouth variety. Whistling is one of the sound sources I occasionally use in my compositions and improvisations. I can also throat-hum a harmony note or counter melody with myself while whistling... but that took years of practice. Smartass

Quote:Here's a place that uses whistling to communicate. It's pretty neat!
It could have been worse; they could have developed yodeling. Big Grin

Really, though, that's pretty cool; I had never heard of this before.
How did you happen to come across it?

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
08-08-2017, 02:51 PM
(07-08-2017 10:00 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  And here I thought shephards whistled the dog commands without any apparatus. Talk about a piercing sound, the sheep dog whistle hurts my ears. If I were a dog I'd attack the guy with the damned whistle just to shut him up. I sure love his accent though.

So that's what Rush Limbaugh used to do before he became a talk show maven! Wink

--
Dr H

[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
08-08-2017, 07:28 PM
(08-08-2017 02:48 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(06-08-2017 02:07 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Do you ever whistle?
Only when I'm walking through a graveyard at midnight. Shocking

Quote:I hardly ever hear people whistle anymore. My grandfather used to whistle all the time and make trill whistling sounds and all sorts of neat music. He did bird sounds too. I used to whistle when I was a kid and thought it was really cool. I could never whistle the way my brothers could though. They did the thing where you put two of your fingers in your mouth and make a huge, loud, piercing sound.
Seriously, I do whistle, but not the fingers-in-the-mouth variety. Whistling is one of the sound sources I occasionally use in my compositions and improvisations. I can also throat-hum a harmony note or counter melody with myself while whistling... but that took years of practice. Smartass

Quote:Here's a place that uses whistling to communicate. It's pretty neat!
It could have been worse; they could have developed yodeling. Big Grin

Really, though, that's pretty cool; I had never heard of this before.
How did you happen to come across it?

I can do that to some extent, but only if my larynx follows the pitch of the whistle. Is that what you mean?
08-08-2017, 07:35 PM
It is considered "bad luck" to whistle backstage unless you are the stage manager. But like so many (common sense) things considered "bad luck" (don't walk under a ladder---duh) there is a good historical reason for it. Prior to headsets and other modern communication devices the stage manager used different whistling noises to cue curtains and set changes for the crew. So anyone else whistling could cause the backdrop for Act III to fall on someone's head during Act I.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
10-08-2017, 01:10 PM
(08-08-2017 07:28 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I can do that to some extent, but only if my larynx follows the pitch of the whistle. Is that what you mean?

Sort of, except the larynx line moves independently of the whistle line.

It helps if you have played a wind instrument and have learned to do "circular breathing".

--
Dr H

12-08-2017, 02:45 PM
I whistle all the time when listening to music in the car. It's easier to hide that you're doing it than singing.

Disappointing theists since 1968
12-08-2017, 10:50 PM
I whistle without even realizing that I am. I was once told by a pain-in-the-ass sanctimonious old school baptist that a whistling woman was the devil at work.

I whistle when I work, when I walk, when I grocery shop, when I am in public bathrooms.

The rest of the time, if I am happy...I sing. But...I sing in all the same places, too.

So sue me. Happiness needs to be expressed. My dad and I used to whistle together when we worked. It was great! Miss you Daddy.

Nice thing is that my family can usually find me in WalMart.

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
[+] 1 user Likes Jeanne's post