Does anyone cook for their animals?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2012, 02:16 AM
Does anyone cook for their animals?
I see this most often with people that have parrots and it is pretty rare in people that just have dogs and cats. Do any of you cook to feed any of your animals? If so, when and for what reason did you start? For myself I started do it when I got my first parrot, because they are omnivores like we are and need a good diet. As for the dog and cat, they usually get some too. There is just too much garbage in the majority of dog and cat foods for it to be healthy.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-10-2012, 06:29 AM
RE: Does anyone cook for their animals?
(26-10-2012 02:16 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  I see this most often with people that have parrots and it is pretty rare in people that just have dogs and cats. Do any of you cook to feed any of your animals? If so, when and for what reason did you start? For myself I started do it when I got my first parrot, because they are omnivores like we are and need a good diet. As for the dog and cat, they usually get some too. There is just too much garbage in the majority of dog and cat foods for it to be healthy.

I used to feed my 2 Giant Schnauzers all raw. (used to because the female went with my x in the breakup and sadly I had to put Mr Scouters to rest a couple months ago ) That included a lot of preperation - nothing was cooked - but depending on the source of meat it could turn into hours of cutting stuff up and freezing. Def did more for them than I ever did for myself.. EEK

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
26-10-2012, 01:04 PM
I am not cooking exaclty for the dog, but I often let her sniff things so she can discover stuff (she found out that she likes the stem of the tomato for example). Usually I give her some of the meat I cook for us. Most of the time she gets a raw piece, sometimes she gets something that is cooked unless it is very spicy.
Back when I had cats, I did the same for them, but as I was vergeterian back then I actually went to the butcher just for the cats. Got them liver and things like that. Gave them some of it raw and some of it cooked (no conduments).
But right now, the dog gets mostly dog food (plus the treats like a pig bone or something of that kind).

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-10-2012, 11:01 PM
Parrots eat meat ("omnivore")? Or did you mean insects?

The closest thing to "cooking" would be oven baked dog treats, which is rare and not a regular thing.
27-10-2012, 01:33 AM
My parents have never done it for their dog.. but my Aunt does dry vegetables for her dogs and uses those as treats instead of dog treats.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
27-10-2012, 09:49 PM
(26-10-2012 11:01 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  Parrots eat meat ("omnivore")? Or did you mean insects?

The closest thing to "cooking" would be oven baked dog treats, which is rare and not a regular thing.

Oh yeah they eat meat. Isabelle our african grey would eat nothing but meat if I let her, but that is not a good idea. They need everything, meats, veggies, and starches. Just like we do, with very few exceptions. A ballanced diet for the bigger parrots allows them to live up to 75 to 100 years and sometimes a bit more. A diet of all seeds and they die in about 20 years with many medical problems. I used to subscribe to Parrot Talk magazine and there was an article in one of them about a macaw that was over 100 years old. The man who owned or was owned by the bird died at 102 and appearently his parents had bought the bird for him when he was born. Within a week of the guy dying, the bird chewed off one of its' legs and bled to death. That gives you an idea not only how long they live, but also how deep the emotional bond goes. I have to say though, they certainly know when we are eating bird. Isabelle will throw chicken at us if we don't heavily season it. As long as it is seasoned right, she is quite the happy little cannible.