Does anyone drink Absinthe?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-12-2011, 10:10 AM
Does anyone drink Absinthe?
Just started trying Absinthe. It's pretty crazy stuff. Super high alcohol, some interesting aromatics and wormwood.

Though not as strong in the states as it is in Europe, it can still impart a unique effect. I get kinda numb feeling and awake but drunk feeling, and then I have the most intensely crazy dreams.

Anyone else have any experiences with the green fairy?

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-12-2011, 10:18 AM
RE: Does anyone drink Absinthe?
I went through a bottle once, having been told there were psychoactive elements in it besides the alcohol. I didn't notice anything different about it than just drinking Jager. It's gonna mess you up, but I didn't get the effect as advertised.

PS: Have only had the US version.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
19-12-2011, 11:02 AM
Had it in Austrailia. Same as any other liquor. Didn't notice anything different.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
19-12-2011, 05:05 PM
My friend brought some back from spain a few years ago, I made the mistake of smelling it before drinking any of it, after that i couldn't touch the stuff.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
20-12-2011, 06:46 AM
Great stuff. I even have a special ritual for drinking it, not as it was originally intended, but close. I just love rituals.

Put a dose of Absinthe in a glass. Take a spoon of sugar and drown it in Absinthe, then take it out and light it on fire. The spoon, not the Absinthe, yet. Wait until the sugar heats up a bit, then put everything in the glass so it lights up. Stir for the sugar to melt a bit, while everything still burns. Blow and drink while warm/hot. Repeat.

When I was working as a waiter and Absinthe just came to my country, I went and bought it for the club (where I worked) at once. The customers didn't want to try the green stuff until me and my friends started to burn things around the bar, on the bar, in the bar, turned the music up and announced IT'S A PARTY, already pretty drunk. Then I sold all I had. Barely survived that night. I love to be on the other side of the bar...

While it is important to drink it down fast, it is even more important to take a pause after every dose, you can get drunk faster than you are aware of, and that can get you wasted and in trouble. Drink fast with pauses in between.

Smile

P.S.
All we are able to buy (everyone in the world) is just a stupid legal copy of a great drink. This has 55% of alcohol, while the original had around 70. This has no, or only traces of the chemical thujone, that was responsible for extra effect it had. Its psychoactive properties, apart from those of alcohol, have been much exaggerated. You will never taste the real deal what Emile Zola, Vincent van Gogh, Édouard Manet, Amedeo Modigliani, Arthur Rimbaud, Guy de Maupassant, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Paul Verlaine, Pablo Picasso, August Strindberg, Oscar Wilde, Ernest Hemingway and Aleister Crowley were drinking.

You can drink it normal, clean, with a bit of water poured over the spoon (with holes in the middle) of sugar.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
20-12-2011, 09:21 AM
(20-12-2011 06:46 AM)Filox Wrote:  Great stuff. I even have a special ritual for drinking it, not as it was originally intended, but close. I just love rituals.

Put a dose of Absinthe in a glass. Take a spoon of sugar and drown it in Absinthe, then take it out and light it on fire. The spoon, not the Absinthe, yet. Wait until the sugar heats up a bit, then put everything in the glass so it lights up. Stir for the sugar to melt a bit, while everything still burns. Blow and drink while warm/hot. Repeat.

It's quite common to melt sugar into Absinthe and let it catch fire. Only way I've ever seen it done before.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
20-12-2011, 12:32 PM
Had Absinthe once (European version), just like described fire and all. I slept soon after that (day time), had pleasant dreams and woke up happy and refreshed. I didn't feel any special effects other that that *and* the experience was most likely improved by the fact that it all happened by the sea, in a hammock, in a shade, under a beautiful breeze in an especially hot day.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
[+] 1 user Likes Malleus's post
21-12-2011, 02:33 AM
(20-12-2011 12:32 PM)Malleus Wrote:  Had Absinthe once (European version), just like described fire and all. I slept soon after that (day time), had pleasant dreams and woke up happy and refreshed. I didn't feel any special effects other that that *and* the experience was most likely improved by the fact that it all happened by the sea, in a hammock, in a shade, under a beautiful breeze in an especially hot day.

This makes me thirsty.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
21-12-2011, 05:38 AM
I forgot to mention that 20 meters away from my hammock there was a clothes-optional beach. Pleasant dreams indeed Big Grin

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
[+] 1 user Likes Malleus's post
21-12-2011, 07:07 AM
Yeah, this fire drinking is common today, but originally Absinthe had different rituals, you can find the instruction online, wikipedia and such...

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson