Does anyone else find it hard not to be a Dick On FB?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2013, 02:44 PM
Does anyone else find it hard not to be a Dick On FB?
I'm struggling. I became a free-thinker this year.

Since my DE-Conversion and shift to rationalism & reason, I find it increasingly hard not to come off like a dick to people who post ridiculous "Woo Woo" on FB.

Mostly, I just ignore the posts and try to let people have their fun and express themselves. They have every right to believe whatever they want and I celebrate that. But every once in awhile, after seeing something especially bone-headedly naive, I have to respond with reason. I'm always polite and gracious. But even POLITELY bringing reason into a conversation is enough to get one black-balled.

And when I do, I always feel like the kid showing up at Kindergarten telling the other kids "There's no Santa Claus." It doesn't make me popular at all and ruins everyone else's fun. I get comments like "Don't be such a party pooper." And "Someone needs a hug."

Makes me want to just hide in a hole. Am I alone?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like onedream's post
06-05-2013, 02:49 PM
RE: Does anyone else find it hard not to be a Dick On FB?
I find it extremely difficult to do anything on facebook. Then again I don't have facebook. I hear stories like your all too often. People are stupid an fail to think before posting their dribble. I suggest a healthy does of trolling to liven your day up. It does wonders for the skin.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 3 users Like Hamata k's post
06-05-2013, 02:50 PM
I stop thinking of myself as the one ruing Santa. If they are posting that BS in public, then I can tear it apart in public.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
06-05-2013, 02:50 PM
You're not alone. Expect some people to reach out to get you to see their version of reason.

Maybe it would be a good time to migrate to another account and add those whom you want.

-or-

Start removing some people. It's not their right to be on your friends list and if they take an un-friend personally, that's just a sign that they take facebook more seriously than you. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 2 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
06-05-2013, 03:45 PM
Hard not to be a dick? I find it completely impossible, apparently. I ignore the religious/inspirational image macros, UNLESS they are saying things that are blatantly unconstitutional, such as ones about forcing Christianity on schoolchildren, or anything that doesn't respect the idea of separation of church and state. Just about the only things I post on my own status are blatantly anti-religion, so you can imagine how that goes down with the few Christians on my f-list.

I keep my facebook account for 2 main reasons:
1- I sell art online, and in order to have a fanpage, I need a personal account to manage it.
2- I refuse to be bullied off a site by religious fanatics. There are sane and rational people on there that I enjoy interacting with.

But you're right, even mentioning something politely is enough for people to call you an asshole, because those people think that somehow religion is untouchable and shouldn't be discussed rationally, or they think it doesn't hurt anyone (an idea I take issue with).

In addition to what TCS said, sometimes it is helpful to
1-make a restricted list of Christians you don't even want to argue with, so they can't see certain posts
2- "hide all posts by ___" for people who post so much woo that you can't even handle it, but you don't really want to unfriend them.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
06-05-2013, 04:07 PM
I have much loved family members who post stupid religious stuff all the time. I simply unfollow their posts so I don't have to see it. It's that simple. I also don't post any atheist stuff. I'm not ashamed of being an atheist, I just don't want to use FB as a platform for it. I only use it for keeping in touch with family and friends. I can only think of one time that I did get into a discussion about this kind of stuff; it was with a friend's coworker (whom I've never met) who posted a stupid comment in reply to an anti-religion/pro-science picture that my friend had posted. He was one of those "evolution is only a theory" sort of people. I set him straight by using definitions from the very same dictionary that they were quoting from.
[+] 3 users Like ghostexorcist's post
06-05-2013, 04:34 PM
(06-05-2013 04:07 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I have much loved family members who post stupid religious stuff all the time. I simply unfollow their posts so I don't have to see it. It's that simple. I also don't post any atheist stuff. I'm not ashamed of being an atheist, I just don't want to use FB as a platform for it. I only use it for keeping in touch with family and friends.

Thumbsup

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
06-05-2013, 04:41 PM
I only use my personal FB as a platform for atheist posts. If people don't like it, they shouldn't have friended me, as I see it, and they can unfriend me. I use FB mainly to follow anti-religious and political pages, and to keep in touch with 2 or 3 people that only use that to communicate, I mean, instead of phone/skype/emails.

I sort of take pleasure in the fact that it pisses people off sometimes, religion and politics, I'll admit that.
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
06-05-2013, 04:41 PM
Yup! It used to bother me and make me angry. I decided to laugh at the whole thing and now when I see them they are sooo hilarious. I'm not going to let it make me bitter. Sometimes it doesn't stop me from being the Ahole though. I guess I'm the Ahole who instead of saying things angrily I'm saying things with a near sinister laugh. I'm not sure if that's good though.... Huh.

I'm going to have to think about this more now.
06-05-2013, 04:43 PM
about a year ago I did unfriend most of my relatives though. They all live in the south, are exceptionally racist, repost Tea Party stuff, think christianity should be the country's official religion and forced on people, and they protest against homosexuals. That stuff does bother me a lot, and I didn't want to see it anymore. These people only friended me because I was a distant relative, they didn't know me at all.
[+] 2 users Like amyb's post