Does anyone else find it hard not to be a Dick On FB?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2013, 11:04 PM
RE: Does anyone else find it hard not to be a Dick On FB?
Yeah, I had to get rid of the paranormal folks too, for the most part. I also hid posts from people who are always posting those "SHARE if you love god" things, or "God is great! Share this and see what happens!" which is almost as lame as the ones with the photo of a woman in a bikini, and it says "share and see what happens," as though the bikini is going to come off. This also shows no understanding of FB images, because there is no way for the image to change on FB.

And sometimes I get confused. My old high school journalism teacher posted something about his dog dying and being in heaven, and he's an atheist. Another person talked about meeting her dead brother in heaven, and she's an atheist. I guess it's metaphorical or something, but... I dunno. I don't understand people sometimes. And supposed atheists asking on FB for prayers.

But it also occurs to me that I'm a dick all the time, not just on Facebook.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2013, 11:28 PM
I don't use my facebook too often, but when I come across the best/worst examples of idiocy I post it on TTA for a laugh Thumbsup

Find all posts by this user
06-05-2013, 11:31 PM
(06-05-2013 11:04 PM)amyb Wrote:  But it also occurs to me that I'm a dick all the time, not just on Facebook.

Better to be a dick than an asshole. For obvious physiological reasons. Thumbsup

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
[+] 2 users Like Misanthropik's post
07-05-2013, 03:26 AM
(06-05-2013 02:44 PM)onedream Wrote:  I'm struggling. I became a free-thinker this year.

Since my DE-Conversion and shift to rationalism & reason, I find it increasingly hard not to come off like a dick to people who post ridiculous "Woo Woo" on FB.

Mostly, I just ignore the posts and try to let people have their fun and express themselves. They have every right to believe whatever they want and I celebrate that. But every once in awhile, after seeing something especially bone-headedly naive, I have to respond with reason. I'm always polite and gracious. But even POLITELY bringing reason into a conversation is enough to get one black-balled.

And when I do, I always feel like the kid showing up at Kindergarten telling the other kids "There's no Santa Claus." It doesn't make me popular at all and ruins everyone else's fun. I get comments like "Don't be such a party pooper." And "Someone needs a hug."

Makes me want to just hide in a hole. Am I alone?

Are you kidding me?

I loved telling kids there is no Santa Claus!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
07-05-2013, 03:40 AM
I'm actually rather pleasant on Facebook despite that fact that one would think if one was going to be a dick that FB would be the prime place for dickary.

Anyone can see my FB so I don't want future employers looking at my FB thinking I'm some total douche, I'd rather they hire me first, that way it's too late. Tongue

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
07-05-2013, 03:43 AM
I don't usually interact with the people on my friends list on Facebook outside of the internet, in fact I tend to go out of my way to ignore them.

The same applies on Facebook, they are on my list but I pay absolutely no attention to them.

And anyway, I doubt they'd expect me to do anything on facebook anyway, so it's kind of hard to be a dick to people when you've no opportunities to get involved.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
07-05-2013, 07:48 AM
Facebook is a good way for me to keep in touch with distant friends and relatives while we're abroad, so I hang in there, and I've been able to form networks with other atheists I'd have never encountered, otherwise. As far as it being a platform, I think of it almost as a doodlepad I keep on the desk, so I'll share opinions, jokes, the occasional bitchy update. Two Christmases ago, I got sick of all the whiny bellyaching about the "War on Christmas" (WAaaaaaAAAAaaaaaahhhhhhhh!), and I finally began saying what I thought about it. Honestly, I've never lost anyone of quality because of a political or religious post. Frankly, if they defriended me over something so trivial, good riddance. I do find it amusing that the two most controversial subjects I've ever addressed have been the "Creation Museum" in Kentucky, and St. Timothy Tebow, respectively. You'd think I had shot some theists' family pets, the way they jump to the defense of those two inanimate objects.

"I was gambling in Havana. I took a little risk. Send lawyers, guns and money. Dad, get me out of this."

"Keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out."
[+] 2 users Like dixiereprobate's post
07-05-2013, 12:54 PM
(07-05-2013 07:48 AM)dixiereprobate Wrote:  Honestly, I've never lost anyone of quality because of a political or religious post. Frankly, if they defriended me over something so trivial, good riddance.
Exactly how I feel.

Apparently, the most controversial thing I've posted was sharing a Cracked.com post about bad paintings of Jesus, because the caption on one suggested Jesus was a pedophile. One relative called me on the phone and expected me to apologize to her! She said it was incredibly offensive and posting about it was just "bad" and I was a "sinner." For one thing, she didn't have to click the link. For another, the only thing I was sorry about was being sorry she has no sense of humor. A dozen or so relatives unfriended me for this, no joke. And I said "good riddance."
07-05-2013, 01:18 PM
I find I'm getting far less patient with people. Especially after what happened recently with the accusation of having an "Atheist agenda"
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
07-05-2013, 01:27 PM
(07-05-2013 01:18 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I find I'm getting far less patient with people. Especially after what happened recently with the accusation of having an "Atheist agenda"

Excellent.

[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post