Does anyone else find it hard not to be a Dick On FB?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2013, 01:27 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2013 01:43 PM by Lienda Bella.)
RE: Does anyone else find it hard not to be a Dick On FB?
If I think they are pointlessly rude. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2013, 01:35 PM
"Like if you want prayer to be put back into schools!" or "Like if the Pledge of Allegiance should stay!"

These two types made me paranoid about communicating with the thousand plus like voters for some reason. Consider
07-05-2013, 01:52 PM
I use FB strictly for comms with old friends and close fam. Quite a few of them do the religious crap... I mostly ignore it. Sometimes comment but very cautiously. I long ago decided that the sign of having no life was caring about FB debates, so I came to TTA instead Tongue
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post
07-05-2013, 02:21 PM
I don't like FB, period. I'll jump on once in a while to say "glad you're still alive" to someone I used to know way back, but I'm a private person who places great importance on his privacy. I use e-mails, or maybe yahoo messenger because when I say something to someone, I'm talking to THEM, not their whole family! I don't necessarily want every-frickin-body and their brother who might happen to be on that person's friend list to read what I have to say. That, & I'm not an attention-whore. You can just tell some of these assholes can't take an off color crap without tweeting about it. "look at me, look at me, today it was green, please pay attention to me". Not everybody in the world has to know what you're up to Undecided
I'm just not "social"ist material, I guess Tongue I want to know ya before I catch ya listening in on my conversations!

09-05-2013, 09:08 AM
It seems to me that the people who don't come off as jerks online are either boring or pretentious, internet "white knights". I don't use Facebook at all anymore, but back when I still did, I would definitely fall into the "dick" category when I commented on something. It all started to seem pointless and I realized that I don't really care what my elementary school buddy's aunt thinks of my political affiliation.
As such the third option became apparent, i.e. just staying out of the whole mess. Being the silent observer on the side, and eventually just leaving the wagon.

But yeah, obviously it can be hard to ignore the people that TheGulegon mentions, these attentionwhores. God damn, some people are self-centered. However, you encounter them in real life as well and sometimes you just need to tell them. Break their delusion.

I believe I'm right.
09-05-2013, 02:44 PM
(07-05-2013 02:21 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  I don't like FB, period. I'll jump on once in a while to say "glad you're still alive" to someone I used to know way back, but I'm a private person who places great importance on his privacy. I use e-mails, or maybe yahoo messenger because when I say something to someone, I'm talking to THEM, not their whole family! I don't necessarily want every-frickin-body and their brother who might happen to be on that person's friend list to read what I have to say. That, & I'm not an attention-whore. You can just tell some of these assholes can't take an off color crap without tweeting about it. "look at me, look at me, today it was green, please pay attention to me". Not everybody in the world has to know what you're up to Undecided
I'm just not "social"ist material, I guess Tongue I want to know ya before I catch ya listening in on my conversations!

Yeah, I don't get that mentality either. I never, ever post anything even remotely personal on mine, and I mainly keep mine so I can keep my Fanpages (personal one, and a Silent Hill one). I only use emails and private messages to talk to people. One reason I used to always delete my account every other month is that I don't like that you are supposed to use your real name. I've been identity-thieved a couple times, and there are people I do not want to ever find and contact me, which would be a nonissue if I could use a pseudonym (or even name-last initial, like I have here).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-05-2013, 07:47 PM
Funny how a workmate recently friended me on FB, and then posts daily bible passages, to which I think *whatever!* Dodgy and direct them to the "hide" bin. Then I post a picture (a la 'Keep Calm and Carry On' theme) that says "Demand Evidence and Think Critically" and she messaged something to the effect that I am taking cheap shots at her faith. WTF? Frusty

Sometimes it just doesn't pay to NOT be a dick.

. . . all the gods were stories we told the children to make them behave. ~ Thoros of Myr (Game of Thrones, Episode 3:06)
[+] 3 users Like Scully's post
09-05-2013, 07:54 PM
(09-05-2013 07:47 PM)Scully Wrote:  Funny how a workmate recently friended me on FB, and then posts daily bible passages, to which I think *whatever!* Dodgy and direct them to the "hide" bin. Then I post a picture (a la 'Keep Calm and Carry On' theme) that says "Demand Evidence and Think Critically" and she messaged something to the effect that I am taking cheap shots at her faith. WTF? Frusty

Sometimes it just doesn't pay to NOT be a dick.

Exactly. This happens SOOO much. I ignore all their stupid religious crap, i don't post snide comments on their bible quotes or the "LIKE if you love God!" crap. But dog forbid that I post something even vaguely nonreligious, they take it as a personal attack.

And that is exactly why I defriended 99% of these people. I have my mom and my grandma on my f-list, but they are "restricted" and don't see any of my posts, but I'd feel bad denying their friend request so I keep them there.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
10-05-2013, 08:28 AM
(09-05-2013 07:54 PM)amyb Wrote:  Exactly. This happens SOOO much. I ignore all their stupid religious crap, i don't post snide comments on their bible quotes or the "LIKE if you love God!" crap. But dog forbid that I post something even vaguely nonreligious, they take it as a personal attack.

And that is exactly why I defriended 99% of these people. I have my mom and my grandma on my f-list, but they are "restricted" and don't see any of my posts, but I'd feel bad denying their friend request so I keep them there.

I mean, really, if a person's faith is so very fragile that they can't handle someone posting an image encouraging folks to think critically or demand evidence - that isn't even directed to them personally!!! - they have a problem that is more serious than they can possibly imagine. Consider

. . . all the gods were stories we told the children to make them behave. ~ Thoros of Myr (Game of Thrones, Episode 3:06)
[+] 1 user Likes Scully's post
13-06-2013, 12:45 PM
"Does anyone else find it hard not to be a Dick On FB?"

Yes!!! My neighbor, who I like, posts some religious foolishness almost every day! He's "born again" and with exclamation points!!! He once asked a question about evolution (don't remember what it was) I googled it, and sent him an explanation to his question. Took me probably less than a minute. He became so angry that he threatened to block me from his Facebook page. But that wasn't the end of it. I got all types of "Jesus loves you!" messages and a threat from a life long friend, basically saying that if I didn't stop my nasty behavior, we would stop being friends. Now, this was not the first time I was "snarky" about religion on Facebook. But I backed off! I don't talk about it there anymore.