Does anyone get pee'd off when talking to dumb people?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-03-2014, 07:58 PM
Does anyone get pee'd off when talking to dumb people?
Is it just me, or does anyone get angry when the person they are talking to is lacking intelligence? For example people who believe in the paranormal or faith healing etc. and you try and convince them otherwise but they don't accept anything you say and come out with piss poor reasons to support their beliefs? If this is a bad thing how can I learn to get less angry over it?

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoreau
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-03-2014, 08:07 PM
RE: Does anyone get pee'd off when talking to dumb people?
Though I am ashamed of it, I admit that ignorance can really get under my skin. Sometimes I wish that one could literally have sense slapped into them.

[Image: ezgif_save_1.gif]
19-03-2014, 08:17 PM
(19-03-2014 07:58 PM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  Is it just me, or does anyone get angry when the person they are talking to is lacking intelligence? For example people who believe in the paranormal or faith healing etc. and you try and convince them otherwise but they don't accept anything you say and come out with piss poor reasons to support their beliefs? If this is a bad thing how can I learn to get less angry over it?
I think belief is a fascinating phenomenon.
People with it don't necessarily realise they have it.
The beliefs are incredibly hard for the believer to see through, it's a hard thing to overcome.

I think of them as victims and although it can be frustrating to talk to them, I certainly find it fascinating as well.

You just need to lower your expectations. If you think you are going to get an aha moment out of them then you set yourself up for frustration.

For me if I get an aha then it is an unexpected joy rather than a hard worked for goal.
19-03-2014, 09:08 PM
Which do you mean by saying "lacking intelligence", insufficient knowledge or without decent ability to reason ?

The former is much easier for me to accept.

The latter requires great patience.

The worst is arrogance + ignorance.

Want something? Then do something.
[+] 2 users Like HU.Junyuan's post
19-03-2014, 09:37 PM
(19-03-2014 09:08 PM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  Which do you mean by saying "lacking intelligence", insufficient knowledge or without decent ability to reason ?

The former is much easier for me to accept.

Indeed. With the addition that willfull ignorance is about the worst trait imaginable.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
19-03-2014, 09:59 PM (This post was last modified: 19-03-2014 10:02 PM by Charis.)
A lot of it is simply a combination of deception and overpowering of their will. Arguably the most intelligent man I have ever, EVER met is an independent baptist. He'd been accepted into Harvard. I saw it with my own eyes when he got it in the mail. He chose a local christian community college instead because of the hold the church and his family had on him. Due to their dominance over his will and over his mind, only certain information can make its way in... and so he is still stuck, as I was until very very recently.

This is an incomplete explanation, but my vanilla rum is having a nice fuzzy effect on me, so I can't articulate it more than that.

Just know that it's not a matter of intellect. There's a lot of fear and dominance involved... and for once, I'm not saying that in a sexual sense.
20-03-2014, 04:45 AM
Censored You have to learn to accept it. Most of the world believes in the supernatural, we're the outsiders in this case.

Maybe evaluate how important the "idiot" is to you, and take it from there.
20-03-2014, 05:00 AM
(19-03-2014 07:58 PM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  Is it just me, or does anyone get angry when the person they are talking to is lacking intelligence? For example people who believe in the paranormal or faith healing etc. and you try and convince them otherwise but they don't accept anything you say and come out with piss poor reasons to support their beliefs? If this is a bad thing how can I learn to get less angry over it?

You might be looking for the phrase 'Teed-Off'............

just sayin.

Laugh out loadHeart

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
20-03-2014, 05:02 AM
Sometimes yes. I try not to get frustrated if it is just a case of someone not having all the available info and so they just didn't know. But 'wilful ignorance' in the face of evidence to the contrary I find hard to be around. Once I start to feel my IQ slipping I try and back away slowly before any permanent damage occurs.

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
20-03-2014, 05:23 AM
(19-03-2014 08:07 PM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  Though I am ashamed of it, I admit that ignorance can really get under my skin. Sometimes I wish that one could literally have sense slapped into them.

Which is wierd, considering that you talk so much with the idiot that is me.
[Image: 092b1803fcbe2b22f95acc4e80a44847.jpeg]

[Image: 9f6.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post