Does anyone get pee'd off when talking to dumb people?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2014, 06:17 AM
RE: Does anyone get pee'd off when talking to dumb people?
I don't usually get mad, but I do tend to get impatient if I have to listen to much of it. Given the opportunity, I'll typically leave the conversation. I might offer up a single objection depending on the context, but that's about it. A good example:

A couple weeks ago, a cashier at the cafeteria told me that she sees all these increased earthquakes and other natural events as the Biblical prophesies being fulfilled. I waited for her to stop talking, and said that we have a lot better ways to detect these things and communicate them than we had in the past. She agreed with me and put in a "yabbut" objection that she still feels they're increasing. I payed for my coffee and was on my way! Not much point in talking beyond that, and certainly not if it's going to just make one of us angry.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
20-03-2014, 06:44 AM
I have an issue with your categorization of anyone who believes in supernatural things as "dumb". While low intelligence does lend itself to being fooled and indoctrinated, not everyone who ardently believes silly things is stupid and defend them. Many have been indoctrinated from birth and cling to their beliefs as it is the core of their identity. Cognitive dissonance can cause even the most brilliant person to reject something that goes against these deeply held beliefs. I had to deal with this in my own apostasy and I am far from stupid. Far.

What I do absolutely have a problem with is willful ignorance. To my mind, there is no greater intellectual failure. People who refuse to learn piss me off to no end. I am quite patient with people who wish to learn something.

I think to help with your anger over these people, it will help to keep in mind that they are not necessarily stupid and the ones that are genuinely unintelligent need even more patience. If patience isn't your thing, I'd suggest avoiding the topic.

It can be frustrating arguing with an intelligent person over something like religion. Especially when you know that they are smart enough to grasp a concept, but are rejecting it outright. Cognitive dissonance is insanely powerful. It can make someone like Francis Collins say that he'll believe the bible over science even though he has an intimate understanding of science.

As for genuinely unintelligent people, don't get pissed at them for being dumb. They can't help it. It's like being mad at someone because their eyes are green. These people truly don't comprehend the topic at hand. Science is big, complex, and weird. People who have lower intelligence are still very capable of being taught, but it must be done in smaller, bite sized, nuggets of information. If we can teach a chimp sign language, we can teach an idiot evolution. It's just a matter of time and patience.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 3 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
20-03-2014, 08:01 AM
(20-03-2014 06:44 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I have an issue with your categorization of anyone who believes in supernatural things as "dumb". While low intelligence does lend itself to being fooled and indoctrinated, not everyone who ardently believes silly things is stupid and defend them. Many have been indoctrinated from birth and cling to their beliefs as it is the core of their identity. Cognitive dissonance can cause even the most brilliant person to reject something that goes against these deeply held beliefs. I had to deal with this in my own apostasy and I am far from stupid. Far.

I do have to agree with this. My wife has an IQ of something like 146 and is Christian. I have no idea what mine is, but she almost certainly has a higher score than me. Granted, she did jettison most of the creepy aspects of Christianity, which is good, but she still nominally believes in an invisible God who sent his son to Earth 2,000 years ago.
20-03-2014, 08:15 AM
(20-03-2014 08:01 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(20-03-2014 06:44 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I have an issue with your categorization of anyone who believes in supernatural things as "dumb". While low intelligence does lend itself to being fooled and indoctrinated, not everyone who ardently believes silly things is stupid and defend them. Many have been indoctrinated from birth and cling to their beliefs as it is the core of their identity. Cognitive dissonance can cause even the most brilliant person to reject something that goes against these deeply held beliefs. I had to deal with this in my own apostasy and I am far from stupid. Far.

I do have to agree with this. My wife has an IQ of something like 146 and is Christian. I have no idea what mine is, but she almost certainly has a higher score than me. Granted, she did jettison most of the creepy aspects of Christianity, which is good, but she still nominally believes in an invisible God who sent his son to Earth 2,000 years ago.

Aye. I believed all of that nonsense at one point and my IQ is in the 99th percentile. I have a relative who makes me look like a drooling idiot who is a believer. It's not a matter of intelligence, it's a matter of what information has stuck and takes dominance in the person's brain. Someone with a high IQ may be more difficult to convince due to the confidence and arrogance that comes along with it.

Don't lose hope for your wife. She sounds like she is on the slow path to apostasy.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
20-03-2014, 08:47 AM
While it can be frustrating I try to remember everyone is human and some people werent as lucky to be exposed to concepts as "thinking for yourself" or "explore the issue"

Lets face it. If you've spent your whole life being told not to question....why would you expect that person to question if they dont know how?

*edit* I almost feel bad for that person more then upset.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
20-03-2014, 09:47 AM
(20-03-2014 08:15 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Don't lose hope for your wife. She sounds like she is on the slow path to apostasy.

It's possible but I wouldn't count on it. I know that after I came out as not believing, she got really big into Rob Bell's book about there being no hell, and everyone goes to heaven. Now, she says she's never believed in hell, and that might be true. It's just something we never discussed back when I still believed. The impression I got was she started to make her beliefs more accommodating to non-believers, so she wouldn't have to be married to someone she thought was going to hell.

And I get that. My views on homosexuality magically became more accommodating when my brother came out as gay nearly a decade ago (when I was still Christian). At some point you have to make a choice between an intangible, non-falsifiable, intolerant belief system and the people you love.
20-03-2014, 10:18 AM
(20-03-2014 09:47 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(20-03-2014 08:15 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Don't lose hope for your wife. She sounds like she is on the slow path to apostasy.

It's possible but I wouldn't count on it. I know that after I came out as not believing, she got really big into Rob Bell's book about there being no hell, and everyone goes to heaven. Now, she says she's never believed in hell, and that might be true. It's just something we never discussed back when I still believed. The impression I got was she started to make her beliefs more accommodating to non-believers, so she wouldn't have to be married to someone she thought was going to hell.

And I get that. My views on homosexuality magically became more accommodating when my brother came out as gay nearly a decade ago (when I was still Christian). At some point you have to make a choice between an intangible, non-falsifiable, intolerant belief system and the people you love.

I get that, too. My views on atheists and gays were about the same when I was devout. And then I actually met an atheist that I couldn't help but like and found out a few of my friends were gay. That's all it took to do a 180 on both. Realizing I had been lied to about them for so many years also played a part in my apostasy.

People like your wife, and a few of my family, cause confliction in me. On one hand, they aren't harming anyone with their beliefs. People like that generally reject the harmful, hateful stuff and focus on the happy good stuff. On the other hand, part of my brain screams in terror at the intellectual dishonesty and self delusion that they are still participating in. I love knowledge, I love education, and most of all I love science. I have this nearly overwhelming urge to correct every scientific inaccuracy that I see. I can do a pretty good job of suspending my disbelief for movies and TV shows, but in the real world, it gnaws at me when I know someone holds a scientific viewpoint that is invalid.

20-03-2014, 10:19 AM
There's so many dumb people in this world that I'm use to interacting with mindless fucktards.
So no.

In fact when I come across someone who actually uses their brain it's often a shock and I don't know what to say because I'm so speechless leaving me to believe that purhaps this happens to everyone and everyone is secretly actually rather intelligent.
I don't hold much hope for my theory though.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
20-03-2014, 10:22 AM
(20-03-2014 10:19 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  There's so many dumb people in this world that I'm use to interacting with mindless fucktards.
So no.

In fact when I come across someone who actually uses their brain it's often a shock and I don't know what to say because I'm so speechless leaving me to believe that purhaps this happens to everyone and everyone is secretly actually rather intelligent.

Perhaps you should proofread your comment about intelligence before posting it.
Laughat

20-03-2014, 10:26 AM
(20-03-2014 10:22 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(20-03-2014 10:19 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  There's so many dumb people in this world that I'm use to interacting with mindless fucktards.
So no.

Perhaps you should proofread your comment about intelligence before posting it.
Laughat

Purhaps you should shove a cactus up your ass.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.