Does anyone keep chickens?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2017, 08:43 AM
Does anyone keep chickens?
Be honest - is it a lot of work?
Do you live somewhere that gets snow/ice/very cold? If so, how do you keep them warm?

Can you describe your daily routine in caring for your chickens?

and finally, what do you do when you go on vacation?

Thanks!

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2017, 08:47 AM
RE: Does anyone keep chickens?
I don't, personally (I live in an apartment) but a neighbour of mine has a sister that used to.

One thing that she didn't count on was the smell.

More here: Raising Backyard Chickens for Dummies
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
02-02-2017, 09:00 AM
I don't but I just want to say I can see this thread going in a very 18+ direction lol

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
02-02-2017, 09:09 AM
I used to have a collection of exotic breed chickens.

I had a big barn and fenced off an area with chicken wire. They are ok down to freezing, but not much below freezing temps. (You may find some breeds that are more cold tolerant, research different breeds). Mine got to roam and forage during the day and all always came back into the barn at sunset.

Mornings I fed, opened the barn and collected eggs. Eves I locked them up and collected eggs.

There are lots of ways to keep chickens. I don't know what your circumstances are, so I can't give specific input.

My main issue were raccoons.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
02-02-2017, 09:24 AM
I don't now, but we had a few egg layers when I was a kid. It wasn't really that much work beyond the initial preparation. We had a huge garden, a large plot of land, and a beach. They'd peck around the yard for worms and grubs, and I loved bringing them down to the beach where I'd tip over rocks and watch the chickens massacre the shore crabs.

I'll second the above, however. Raccoons are what made it a problem. They're too clever to keep out indefinitely, and they've got those agile little fingers. Our chicken adventures ended about the third time we went out in the morning to discover the wires on the coop had been pulled back, despite our repeated attempts to reinforce them, and the raccoons had left for us a scattered pile of unrecognizable chicken guts.

My next door neighbor has chickens, though. He gets far more eggs than he can use so we were making trades from our garden during the summer.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
02-02-2017, 09:36 AM
I didn't even consider raccoons. Thanks for the head's up.
We have a daily Cooper's hawk visitor, so I thought about that.

I love the idea of bringing chickens to the beach with us. lol

02-02-2017, 09:51 AM
Unfortunately, every time I see anything about keeping chickens I think about Mike the Headless Chicken.

I'm sorry, I just can't help myself. Blush

[Image: _85456544_mike_headless_getty976.jpg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
02-02-2017, 09:52 AM
what the????

[+] 2 users Like ShadowProject's post
02-02-2017, 09:53 AM
Raccoons, coyotes here too. I have a fenced lot that the coyotes do not get into, but I don't have handy 3 pound meals roaming around either. They will be very close some nights, and set off the dogs. My first JRT was well aware that those cousins were not his friends.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
02-02-2017, 09:58 AM
(02-02-2017 09:53 AM)skyking Wrote:  Raccoons, coyotes here too. I have a fenced lot that the coyotes do not get into, but I don't have handy 3 pound meals roaming around either. They will be very close some nights, and set off the dogs. My first JRT was well aware that those cousins were not his friends.

Jack Russels may like the chickens (to hunt). They have a super strong prey drive.

The key is to make a super strong enclosure for them at night, and to get them perching as high off the ground as possible. Predators will dismantle chicken wire with ease, and they also dig underneath.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post