Does anyone keep chickens?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2017, 10:09 AM
RE: Does anyone keep chickens?
Here's what you do. Go find someone else who is keeping chickens and buy the eggs off of them. Problem solved. Thumbsup

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
02-02-2017, 10:19 AM
I do that as much as possible from a local farm.

My daughter is in love with chickens (yes. lol), so I was giving it some real thought Smile

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
02-02-2017, 10:24 AM
(02-02-2017 09:58 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(02-02-2017 09:53 AM)skyking Wrote:  Raccoons, coyotes here too. I have a fenced lot that the coyotes do not get into, but I don't have handy 3 pound meals roaming around either. They will be very close some nights, and set off the dogs. My first JRT was well aware that those cousins were not his friends.

Jack Russels may like the chickens (to hunt). They have a super strong prey drive.

The key is to make a super strong enclosure for them at night, and to get them perching as high off the ground as possible. Predators will dismantle chicken wire with ease, and they also dig underneath.
The current JRT is far too "on" to have chickens around. The first dog was admittedly too good to be true, that dog that we will never see the likes of again.
My sister had banties, and rocky was loose when we came in the yard and he discovered them. He moved a little closer, they moved away. He laid down. They came back out. After that, all day long he laid out there with the banties. They figured out he wasn't a threat, and he quietly moved them around the yard, laid down again, and just had a great time. There was never a prey rush or anything of that nature from him for those chickens. He loved cows too, and would go lay by the pastures and watch them. He could be sound asleep on a road trip and if we drove by pasture or feed lot, the scent would wake him up and he'd whimper a bit.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
02-02-2017, 11:11 AM
In my area, we have coyote, raccoon, fox and hawk. If they have enough rabbits and mice, they won't go for chickens during the day. Night is a different matter with raccoon, coyote and fox - those guys will get into anything. I think they do it just to keep in practice! I especially detest raccoons - they are little psychopaths. Fuck them. Shy

Chickens don't see well at night and begin to roost before sunset. My city ordinance now allows up to 6 hens. No roosters. You don't want roosters anyway - they're assholes. Dodgy

There are many ways of keeping chickens safe and happy, day and night - chicken coops are quite the rage among those who know the joys of chicken keeping. There are quite a few books on building your own coop and even about selecting your hens. I purchased a couple as presents for chicken enthusiasts.

Chickens or not, I would love to design a chicken coop! I'd do some passive solar heating for the nasty winter months and maybe make the whole enclosure somewhat portable.

I've seriously thought about doing the chicken thing myself but meh, I'm busy honing my irresponsible nature, for the moment. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
02-02-2017, 01:59 PM
around here I see these coops and pens on wheels, so they just get to work a different patch of lawn every few days. Keeps them from being bored and moves the poop around. That poop is the other reason we could not do it. Katie the chiuahua mix can drop a shoulder faster than light, it seems. She revels in rolling in some stank, more than any other dog I have known.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
02-02-2017, 02:24 PM
I had a friend who had a couple of exotic chickens. They were really neat. I think some of them are beautiful!

[Image: fd98d1bdee6d814b0f14d49f06ed410f.jpg]

[Image: _4618389_orig.jpg]

I think she showed them at events similar to dog shows. I believe it's the Japanese that breed these roosters with the long tail feathers for rooster shows. Er...whatever their called. Isn't that amazing!

[Image: 91788b160bf2a00f1a9758f0e51a0b54.jpg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
02-02-2017, 02:32 PM
Yep, I had a friend who raised them for show. I had some 10 different breeds. There are some really gorgeous ones. One breed I always wanted but never got was giant cochins.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
02-02-2017, 02:36 PM
(02-02-2017 02:24 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I had a friend who had a couple of exotic chickens. They were really neat. I think some of them are beautiful!

I think she showed them at events similar to dog shows. I believe it's the Japanese that breed these roosters with the long tail feathers for rooster shows. Er...whatever their called. Isn't that amazing!

Ones in the first picture look like they are trying to blend in with pinecones.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
02-02-2017, 02:37 PM
(02-02-2017 02:36 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(02-02-2017 02:24 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I had a friend who had a couple of exotic chickens. They were really neat. I think some of them are beautiful!

Ones in the first picture look like they are trying to blend in with pinecones.

Or pass for owls....

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
02-02-2017, 02:39 PM
(02-02-2017 02:37 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(02-02-2017 02:36 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Ones in the first picture look like they are trying to blend in with pinecones.

Or pass for owls....

That too but they are already failing because they are out during the day

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post