Does anyone keep chickens?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2017, 02:51 PM
RE: Does anyone keep chickens?
(02-02-2017 02:39 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(02-02-2017 02:37 PM)Dom Wrote:  Or pass for owls....

That too but they are already failing because they are out during the day

Some of them look like they came out of a Dr. Seuss book. Laugh out load

[Image: chickens-polish.jpg]

[Image: WCBPolishRoo.JPEG]

I was watching a show about photography and there's a guy who specializes in photographing exotic show roosters and he's famous among the rooster crowd. Who knew photographing show roosters was even a thing. Anyway I think this might be one of his photographs.

[Image: PS_bantams0139.jpg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
04-02-2017, 10:31 AM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2017 10:39 AM by kim.)
A friend currently has 3 black/white speckled, laying hens and she recently got 2 silkies. They look like cute little punk rocker hens.
[Image: 5b92db5f66a8457ede69685720bd261e.jpg]
All her hens are "pets" and the silkies actually like being held & petted. It really makes me want to take the plunge & just do it. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
04-02-2017, 11:08 AM
Yep, I love the exotic breed chickens. If the fight against the raccoons had not gone so badly I'd probably still be keeping them.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
04-02-2017, 04:46 PM
We don't keep chickens, but there's a big flock of turkeys (upwards of 30) around that descends on our yard after every rain. They're fond of strolling about the neighborhood.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
04-02-2017, 04:56 PM
(04-02-2017 04:46 PM)julep Wrote:  We don't keep chickens, but there's a big flock of turkeys (upwards of 30) around that descends on our yard after every rain. They're fond of strolling about the neighborhood.

Seems you have Thanksgiving covered.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
04-02-2017, 05:03 PM
(04-02-2017 04:56 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(04-02-2017 04:46 PM)julep Wrote:  We don't keep chickens, but there's a big flock of turkeys (upwards of 30) around that descends on our yard after every rain. They're fond of strolling about the neighborhood.

Seems you have Thanksgiving covered.

It's crossed my mind a few times. Especially after having to dodge all the turkey shit they leave in their wake.
04-02-2017, 05:37 PM
Growing up we had chickens. Bantams mostly (mini-chickens).

They're super easy to take care of (though I don't know how they fair in snow, it doesn't snow here). If you go free range they'll keep your garden free of snails and slugs and other evasive bugs. Plus the shit is extremely good fertiliser. Regarding food you just get a big bag of chicken feed and throw up a scoop (depending on how many you have) every night and you're fine.

Regarding housing and cleanup. We had them in our back paddock so it wasn't an issue, but if you want to keep them closer to home/on your lawn, they do destroy the grass and will cause a mess over time in the coop. I'd highly suggest getting a coop with wheels (two on the back will do) that you can move around to let the grass regrow and save on clean up.

Chickens are great pets. They're really affectionate creatures. I mean yea you can get some mean motherfuckers but that's when its time for a roast dinner... but if you handle them alot they become very friendly. It may seem strange but they love to be petted like a cat or dog. I had one as a kid that would wander inside and sit on my lap. Use to lay eggs behind the tv too much to the displeasure of my mother.

oh, just a heads up though. Chickens are incapable of "holding in" a shit and so they shit a lot whenever they feel like it. (also to the much displeasure of my mother).

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
04-02-2017, 05:53 PM
(04-02-2017 05:03 PM)julep Wrote:  
(04-02-2017 04:56 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Seems you have Thanksgiving covered.

It's crossed my mind a few times. Especially after having to dodge all the turkey shit they leave in their wake.

Turkeys are the best tick and other pest removers. I rejoice when I see them on my property, and I put out some corn for them to encourage them to stay a while and peck around. (of course, as a survivor of undiagnosed Lyme disease I do have a horse in this race - death to the evil tick!) But they are also partially responsible for my ability to grow organic - no sprays or poisons ever.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
04-02-2017, 06:43 PM
(04-02-2017 05:53 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(04-02-2017 05:03 PM)julep Wrote:  It's crossed my mind a few times. Especially after having to dodge all the turkey shit they leave in their wake.

Turkeys are the best tick and other pest removers. I rejoice when I see them on my property, and I put out some corn for them to encourage them to stay a while and peck around. (of course, as a survivor of undiagnosed Lyme disease I do have a horse in this race - death to the evil tick!) But they are also partially responsible for my ability to grow organic - no sprays or poisons ever.

Good to know! I'll think more kindly of them the next time they come around.
04-02-2017, 07:31 PM
Thanks for all of the helpful advice and the super cute pics!

We also have 'free range' turkeys that come by Smile We love them! I go out and sit on our porch steps and toss them some sunflower seeds. They make the coolest little sounds.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]