Does anyone keep chickens?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-03-2017, 05:27 PM
RE: Does anyone keep chickens?
(07-03-2017 04:26 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(07-03-2017 03:21 PM)Rockblossom Wrote:  Really? When I was a wee lass, we had free-range chickens (locked into a chicken coop at night) and an assortment of rescued dogs. New dogs learned very quickly that all people and livestock were part of their pack, and it was their job to protect them. We had a few incidents with new dogs, but nothing that a "NO! Bad dog!" and a shaking finger wouldn't correct. The older dogs usually kept the younger ones in line.

Our "lead dog" for many years was a sweet old pit bull (when Pitties were considered the perfect family dog!) who watched out for the chickens during the day. One day he was ambling across the yard when a shadow - hawk, eagle, raven - who knows - crossed the yard going slow. All of the chickens in the area headed straight for the dog, trying to hide under him. His pained-but-patient look was hysterically funny as about 20 chickens tried to get their heads under him.

Our lab was a crazy dog. His name was Sam. One day my brother saw him chasing a mountain lion.....a full grown mountain lion! The loin was running full tilt and our dog was right behind him bounding over rocks and through the thick woods. Sam used to chase down deer all by himself. I don't know how he did it by himself, but he did. We finally got a call from the game warden. Sam apparently didn't have a hunting licence. Who knew? Tongue

So chickens were nothing. That was just an afternoon snack. We were deep in the woods, up in the Sierra Nevada mountain range. It was total wilderness. He finally ate the rest of the chickens one day but they were going to be hard to keep alive anyway. We'd usually get 7 to 8 feet of snow. Keeping chickens just wasn't very practical in that area.

[Image: kinds-of-labs.jpg]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post
07-03-2017, 05:58 PM
(07-03-2017 05:11 PM)Ro3bert Wrote:  
(07-03-2017 02:54 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Do you have a dog? When I was a kid we had some chickens. We lived out in the woods near Lake Tahoe and we had a black labrador who was very loving but a real old fashioned country dog. He got hungry one day and ate a few of our chickens.

I lived in Tahoe City for a while and am wondering how you kept them during the winter. Tahoe City had an average of 28 feet of snow during the winter and it was rather cold, to cold for chickens I think.

We didn't keep them long. Our dog ate them for an afternoon snack in the late summer. Laugh out load

I have no idea what my mother was thinking getting those chickens. You're right, there was no way they would survive the winters there. We would have had to bring them into our cabin. ( We lived in a old broken down cabin. But that's another crazy story.) I think my mother was kinda glad Sam ate those chickens, besides it saved on buying dog food for a while. Thumbsup

God, I had a crazy childhood. You've got to understand the situation here. My mother was very reminiscent of Bea Arthur from Maud. So imagine Maud out in the woods with a bunch of kids, eight or nine chickens, a crazy dog, no hot water, an outhouse and snow up to the roof. It was really funny. My brother wrote a family book about it.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
07-03-2017, 06:09 PM
That's an awesome story though! lol

Sounds like a fun upbringing!