Does anyone know the best time to get artichokes?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2013, 01:43 PM
Does anyone know the best time to get artichokes?
I looooooooooove artichokes, but I can never seem to find any good ones at the store. Anyone know when they're in season?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-01-2013, 03:07 PM
RE: Does anyone know the best time to get artichokes?
(17-01-2013 01:43 PM)Sammy Wrote:  I looooooooooove artichokes, but I can never seem to find any good ones at the store. Anyone know when they're in season?

End of summer, or later, depends on where you live.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
17-01-2013, 03:13 PM
(17-01-2013 03:07 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(17-01-2013 01:43 PM)Sammy Wrote:  I looooooooooove artichokes, but I can never seem to find any good ones at the store. Anyone know when they're in season?

Yep generally toward the end of summer....when I lived in California as a kid they grew wild in our backyard! Absolutely love those things!

Edited to add I just saw some in our market and they wanted 6 bucks a choke! Nope, I'll wait for them to be in season where I pick up four for a dollar. Wink

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-01-2013, 03:15 PM
You can find artichoke hearts any time of the year in most stores. Not quite the same as steaming them up and sucking the meat off the, uh, well, I just realized what I typed and I can't really continue. But, yeah, preserved artichoke hearts just aren't the same.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 2 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
17-01-2013, 03:18 PM
(17-01-2013 03:15 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  You can find artichoke hearts any time of the year in most stores. Not quite the same as steaming them up and sucking the meat off the, uh, well, I just realized what I typed and I can't really continue. But, yeah, preserved artichoke hearts just aren't the same.

I make an aioli that rocks for that! Ya, I love them whole....

17-01-2013, 04:11 PM
(17-01-2013 03:07 PM)Dom Wrote:  

Thanks! I'll definitely start looking out for them then.
19-01-2013, 05:59 PM
(17-01-2013 03:15 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  You can find artichoke hearts any time of the year in most stores. Not quite the same as steaming them up and sucking the meat off the, uh, well, I just realized what I typed and I can't really continue. But, yeah, preserved artichoke hearts just aren't the same.
*chuckle*

Yes I agree. You can never find artichoke hearts that arent marinaded in something. Fresh is so much better.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
19-01-2013, 06:53 PM
(19-01-2013 05:59 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
*chuckle*

Yes I agree. You can never find artichoke hearts that arent marinaded in something. Fresh is so much better.

FYI trader joes carries them, canned and packed in water....they're ok in a pinch, I sometimes cut them up and throw them in pasta. They also carry frozen ones....I usually grind them up in a food processor and use it on pizza. Smile

That's the only ones I've ever found not marinated. They also carry marinated ones too.

19-01-2013, 07:23 PM
(19-01-2013 06:53 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(19-01-2013 05:59 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  *chuckle*

FYI trader joes carries them, canned and packed in water....they're ok in a pinch, I sometimes cut them up and throw them in pasta. They also carry frozen ones....I usually grind them up in a food processor and use it on pizza. Smile

That's the only ones I've ever found not marinated. They also carry marinated ones too.
Trader Joes had a bunch of food recalls recently. I'll make sure they didnt make that cut before I buy them but if they havent been recalled awesome! Thank you mom! Big Grin

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
20-01-2013, 01:19 AM
Let's turn this conversation into a conversensation: "Artichoke--it's just a giant thistle, people."

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein