Does anyone possess a parrot?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Does anyone possess a parrot?
I was just curious if anyone else has a parrot. I have 2, a blue and gold macaw and an african grey. The african grey is a rescue and I don't know much about her background. I have noticed over the years that birds are far smarter than dogs or cats, although cats and dogs are able to learn tricks from the birds. One of the most interesting things that I have seen my macaw do is lure the family dog over using food. Once the dog is nice and comfortable with the massive beak, the bird the starts trying to climb on. After a few weeks of work, the bird is usually able to ride the dog around the house. That is a very human thing. We just do that with much larger animals. These birds also have an incredible ability to learn and use language. If my parents mention putting the macaw away, he goes back to the cage himself. I no longer live with taz, as he is too big for my house. So, my parents keep him for me until the situation changes. The african grey, I got after moving out. She is smart as a whip, but has a tendency to try to piss my wife off. Birds are the first animals I have ever encountered that understand humor. Isabelle (african grey) often laughs at things on tv. She even has a favorite show on the food network called "chopped". I know she likes it, because she watches it and cheers for her favorite dish. I was curious of anyone else is familiar with how incredible these creatures are.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-10-2012, 06:04 PM
RE: Does anyone possess a parrot?
We have a a grey. Also a rescue. When we first got her it took only days for her to be able to imitate our phone ringing. You would walk out the door and before you could get off the porch she would start ringing. But we didn't know it was her. As soon as we came rushing back in to answer the phone she would laugh. Bad bird.

She is smart and asks for snacks if you have something she really likes like Cheetos or French fries, then she says "Chewy wants some".

She whistles and calls for the dogs but they don't fall for it any more.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
16-10-2012, 06:49 PM (This post was last modified: 16-10-2012 06:54 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Does anyone ever really "possess" a parrot ? Drinking Beverage
Parrot possession is, perchance, possibly perverted, yet predicted by probability.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
16-10-2012, 07:42 PM
(16-10-2012 06:04 PM)Anjele Wrote:  We have a a grey. Also a rescue. When we first got her it took only days for her to be able to imitate our phone ringing. You would walk out the door and before you could get off the porch she would start ringing. But we didn't know it was her. As soon as we came rushing back in to answer the phone she would laugh. Bad bird.

She is smart and asks for snacks if you have something she really likes like Cheetos or French fries, then she says "Chewy wants some".

She whistles and calls for the dogs but they don't fall for it any more.

How old was she when you got her? Also, were there any behavioral problems you had to address? Ours was about 30 when we got her and is probably mid 30's now. Not sure. I do know that we are her 4th home. She also had to tell me her name, because I had been told by her previous owners that her name was otis. Isabelle was a biter when she came to us. She didn't need any reason at all to put a hole in your skin. It took 2 years of work to get her to trust me. She calls me either daddy or honey, depending on what she wants. She and my wife have been at odds practically since day 1. My wife spoils our dog and I spoil the bird. Isabelle says so many things, even after 15 years of having birds I am still amazed. Does yours watch tv?
16-10-2012, 08:30 PM
BB-good point, I thought of that too...I am just here to buy toys and food.

Chewch was probably around 5 when we got her, we have had her about 15 years. She doesn't like to be handled much but that's got a lot to do with the former owner. She used to lunge at the side of the cage at me when we first got her but she hasn't done that in a long time now. I guess she figured out who tends to her needs. She says a lot of things and is always coming out with new things. Most of what she says are things she has heard me say and she usually talks in my voice.

If they west nile crap ever gets cleared up around here, we can put her outside now that the weather is nice, she loves having her cage pushed out onto the patio where she can talk to the wild birds and watch the fountain in the pool. She also barks back at the neighbor dogs and seems pretty content after she has had her time outside. To help with that I have been opening the windows so she can hear the sounds from outside.

[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
16-10-2012, 09:04 PM
When the weather was nice, I was taking Isabelle out with me when I let the dog out to do her business. She will say "go" when I go to let the dog out and then she blows raspberries when I tell her that it is too cold outside to take her with me. She is fully flighted, but normally does not use her wings for anything. We also have a cat that likes to climb up and eat out of Isabelle's food bowl. She yells at him for it. Our grey likes meat just a bit too much. Isabelle also will talk back to my wife. If my wife tells her to stop doing something, she will say "No!" in reply and then keep doing it. Do you have any pets besides the bird? If so, does your grey get along with them? I know that yours is in the cage most of the time, however has your bird had to deal with loss? By that I mean the death of someone she cared about? I ask this, because they don't seem to forget other animals. My macaw still calls for Amber (golden retriever) that died of old age. He also knew when April (cat) was going to die. April was very old and had kidney failure. She was laying there one night and got up and went into the bathroom. The whole time April was on the move, taz kept repeating her name. My parents have since got a new cat and she is more into birds than people. She loves my parents, but hates anyone new that comes into the house. My wife and I had bought a canary for her grandparents last winter. We had to bring the canary to my parents house to visit before going to see her family. The new cat spent the whole time laying under the new bird. She was even scent marking the cage when we went in to get it. She was really pissed when we carried the new bird away. She also tries to play with the macaw. Taz tollerates her, but is not as close as he was to April. I am curious how yours dealt with loss. Isabelle is one tough cookie. She seems to not let anything really bother her. She loves fire and explosions and of course food.
16-10-2012, 09:31 PM
We have three dogs and a Quaker parrot in addition to the grey. We did have cats but not anymore. She still meows now and then and also will say things I used to say to one of the cats that's been gone a long time.

The dogs pay little attention to her but she was here first so they are just used to her being around. The cats we have had, had to learn one by one that she doesn't tolerate anyone in her space...in or out of the cage.

Even when we let her out of her cage she prefers to at least be on it. It's her place and that's where she wants to be.

I bought a coconut shell toy that I can put goodies in a couple months ago and she is getting really used to me reaching in and dropping surprises in it. So little by little she hates me less, or at least she has stopped going for blood when I get near.

16-10-2012, 09:58 PM
(16-10-2012 09:31 PM)Anjele Wrote:  We have three dogs and a Quaker parrot in addition to the grey. We did have cats but not anymore. She still meows now and then and also will say things I used to say to one of the cats that's been gone a long time.

The dogs pay little attention to her but she was here first so they are just used to her being around. The cats we have had, had to learn one by one that she doesn't tolerate anyone in her space...in or out of the cage.

Even when we let her out of her cage she prefers to at least be on it. It's her place and that's where she wants to be.

I bought a coconut shell toy that I can put goodies in a couple months ago and she is getting really used to me reaching in and dropping surprises in it. So little by little she hates me less, or at least she has stopped going for blood when I get near.

Sounds like you are doing the right things to earn her trust. I would not be suprised if you were able to get to a point of being able to handle her. Have you ever tried stick training? Isabelle trusted me to pick her up out of her cage using a perch long before she let me pick her up with my hand, especially when leaving the cage.