Does anyone understand the TAG argument?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2010, 05:29 PM
Does anyone understand the TAG argument?
The one that says that logic cannot exist without a soul/god. I don't fully understand it. Is there anything else to it, or are they just making a claim without a base in reality? Seems to me like they are jumping from A to C there.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2010, 05:35 PM
RE: Does anyone understand the TAG argument?
The TAG is actually called the transcendental argument for the existence of God. It goes like this.

PREMISE 1: Knowledge (or logic) is possible.
PREMISE 2: If there is no god, knowledge (or logic) is not possible.
CONCLUSION: Therefore God exists.

Yes, it's a total non sequitur with absolutely no basis in reality. If anyone ever uses it, feel free to laugh in their face.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
22-03-2010, 08:08 PM

I don't know if I would laugh or start screaming!

I love logic and the way I use it day in and day out. It would be the BIGGEST insult to me if someone tried that argument out on me.

Angry
Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2010, 08:23 PM
(22-03-2010 08:08 PM)supermanlives1973 Wrote:  I don't know if I would laugh or start screaming!

I love logic and the way I use it day in and day out. It would be the BIGGEST insult to me if someone tried that argument out on me.

Angry

I'm debating with a creationist, and a very arrogant one at that. Trust me, the faulty logic used there is a breath of fresh air.

He is also saying that the bible is true because it was written by god, as told in the bible. Logic is defiantly NOT his strongest subject.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
22-03-2010, 08:36 PM

(22-03-2010 08:23 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  
(22-03-2010 08:08 PM)supermanlives1973 Wrote:  I don't know if I would laugh or start screaming!

Angry

I'm debating with a creationist, and a very arrogant one at that. Trust me, the faulty logic used there is a breath of fresh air.

He is also saying that the bible is true because it was written by god, as told in the bible. Logic is defiantly NOT his strongest subject.

Quick! Ask them what 2 + 2 is, and ask them WHY they answer with 4. Bet you they will invoke 'god' speak! Smile
22-03-2010, 08:39 PM
Circular logic is lovely like that. You can use it in a creative way to trap an opponent, or you can destroy your own credibility by relying on it as proof... Dem crazy Christians!

22-03-2010, 08:58 PM

(22-03-2010 08:36 PM)supermanlives1973 Wrote:  Quick! Ask them what 2 + 2 is, and ask them WHY they answer with 4. Bet you they will invoke 'god' speak! Smile

Have you not heard?
2+2=5
Thinking otherwise is a thought-crime.

Also, there is a god and the Bible is infallible.
22-03-2010, 09:29 PM
(22-03-2010 08:23 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  

Angry

You got a link? This should be funny.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
22-03-2010, 10:44 PM
(22-03-2010 09:29 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  You got a link? This should be funny.

We are doing it through private messages. I could create a new thread here if people are that interested.