Does atheism oppose the world religions?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2018, 06:02 AM
RE: Does atheism oppose the world religions?
(13-01-2018 06:00 AM)morondog Wrote:  Christ Aquinas is terrible. Thanks for the summaries Rob.

Lol no problem Big Grin

Yeah, it's really bad. Apologetics hasn't improved a whole lot since then, which is even more worrying. In fact it seems to be disappearing further down the semantic non-gap rabbit whole.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-01-2018, 06:10 AM
Haha, I just grabbed this too while I'm at it. Reasons I'm more powerful than god.

1) I can demonstrate that I exist.

2) I am easily recognised as being me.

3) Everyone sees me the same way.

4) I can reply to any question put to me, by different people, with the same answer.

5) I can stand in front of people.

6) I can be near people without them dying instantly.

7) I can have an immediate and unambiguous effect upon reality, on request.

8) I can lie.

9) I can do "evil".

10) I can forgive people without first killing another version of myself.

11) I can provide useful information to people that they didn't already know.

12) I have a physical form.

13) I can create things without getting angry and punishing them because I dislike the way I've made them.

14) I can die.

15) I can communicate with people directly and clearly.

16) I can instantly clear up any misunderstandings about my intentions or desires.

17) I can learn.

18) I can take responsibility for my actions.

19) I can have a meaningful relationship with an atheist.

20) I can clearly exist without causing people to lose their free will.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 5 users Like Robvalue's post
13-01-2018, 06:15 AM
Point 20 assumes that you have free will. Tongue

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
13-01-2018, 09:37 AM
(13-01-2018 01:57 AM)Belaqua Wrote:  
(13-01-2018 01:49 AM)morondog Wrote:  So you have this definition, seemingly quite vague, of what a final cause is. Apparently it means "anything that something does". I mean, one of the final causes of water is drowning cats? Or freezing and sinking the Titanic?

What can we do with this final cause? Why are we discussing it?

It's not my definition. It's Aristotle's.

I wouldn't say it's exactly "anything that something does," but more like "the end toward which a thing points."

It is a very easy concept so I'm not sure why we have to discuss it. It's important because without understanding it we can't understand the very basics of theology.

Yet you obviously don't understand the basic concepts of theology, as demonstrated in this thread. It clearly did you no good. And if theology is built on an ancient debunked dualistic philosophy, then too bad, it's not built on a solid foundation.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein It is objectively immoral to kill innocent babies. Please stick to the guilty babies.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
13-01-2018, 05:24 PM
(13-01-2018 03:38 AM)morondog Wrote:  It would have been fine if Aristotle hadn't been picked up by the church and made into an Authority.

Is that what Belaqua is still doing now?

No gods necessary.
[+] 1 user Likes brunumb's post
13-01-2018, 09:50 PM (This post was last modified: 13-01-2018 10:00 PM by Chas.)
(13-01-2018 01:57 AM)Belaqua Wrote:  
(13-01-2018 01:49 AM)morondog Wrote:  So you have this definition, seemingly quite vague, of what a final cause is. Apparently it means "anything that something does". I mean, one of the final causes of water is drowning cats? Or freezing and sinking the Titanic?

What can we do with this final cause? Why are we discussing it?

It's not my definition. It's Aristotle's.

I wouldn't say it's exactly "anything that something does," but more like "the end toward which a thing points."

It is a very easy concept so I'm not sure why we have to discuss it. It's important because without understanding it we can't understand the very basics of theology.

Why this adherence to Aristotle, Plato, Aquinas, et al.? Their philosophies are studied in introductory philosophy courses and debunked and discarded thereafter.
Well, that happens at real schools, maybe not at yours. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post