Does atheism oppose the world religions?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-01-2018, 06:40 AM
RE: Does atheism oppose the world religions?
Not exactly.
Does education oppose ignorance?
We support people believing whatever they want.
And in people pointing out when it's bullshit.

[Image: barfly_condenados_pelo_vicio.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes BikerDude's post
05-01-2018, 05:58 AM
(03-01-2018 02:51 AM)thermodynamics Wrote:  You are talking about the agency of Verity, which decides over the validity of a religions. In Atheism, there is no such thing. Then, being atheists, one can hear that the theists are saying about their God, and use it as definition of this God. Then, the atheism removes one single feature of this God. And that imprint becomes left in atheist mind: Nonexisting Loving God. Atheist has thought about the God: "God does not exist", which is not yet scientifically validated. Why then, to oppose the world religions?

All supernatural claims, including those made by the world's religions, have failed to meet their burden of proof. Therefore all supernatural claims, including the existence of god/s, has a 'veracity' value of zero.

The very idea that they could all be wrong never even occurred to you, did it?

Also, I wouldn't call the god of Abraham a 'loving' god by any stretch of the imagination. I've read the book, that dude's a supreme asshole. Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
05-01-2018, 06:30 AM
(05-01-2018 05:58 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  that dude's a supreme asshole. Drinking Beverage

Oh you know... You grow up believing it it sort of... sucks you in Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
11-01-2018, 12:08 PM
(03-01-2018 06:06 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(03-01-2018 05:37 PM)kim Wrote:  I can tolerate bumbling ineptitude but, a deliberate mind fuck is a crime against humanity.
(03-01-2018 05:45 PM)kim Wrote:  By the way ... when I say, 'deliberate mind fuck' ... I generally mean, religion. Shy

wut? No, just no. No Come here and let Girly give you a good deliberate mind fuck. ... lemme think ... Kim ... already experienced*, check ... UPS driver in like fucking godforsaken Kansas so used to spending most of her life alone in confined metal spaces for long periods of time getting from point to point, check ... trippy dippy hippie chick, check ...

Girly's DeliberateMindFuck™ for Kim would be a nice full body massage from a Thai lady boy with a happy ending, followed by a nice big fat billy and a light tonic of freshly squeezed cucumber vodka water with a touch of soda and 4-way windowpane and 10 hours floating in an isolation tank listening to Ravel's Bolero. ... And maybe some Angel Dust after she comes out and dries off just to fully embed and imprint the experience. ... I'm thinking I might be able to make some money doing this. Smile

* In the Hendrix, "Are You Experienced? Have You Ever Been Experienced?" sense.

Actually ... Consider ... all that sounds pretty good.

Except the angel dust - I hate that shit. And I'd prefer orange sunshine and some Ornette Coleman.

Details baby, details. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
11-01-2018, 10:23 PM
Does atheism? Only if you count the rejection of a claim as 'opposition'.

Do atheists? They can, but they don't have to. Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
11-01-2018, 11:32 PM
(02-01-2018 02:48 AM)thermodynamics Wrote:  Is it necessary to debate between atheism and a religion?

Not at all. What IS necessary is for theists to be prepared—in the first place—to engage in a truly open dialogue with atheists. Rather than invariably seeing it as an excuse to proselytise. It's also near to impossible for atheists to debate anything at all with a person who accepts—absolutely—the existence of a supernatural entity!

Quote:No need for militant atheism -- Existent God and Nonexistent God are two different Gods...

It's only theists that call atheism "militant". As far as I can see, religion in and of itself is probably one of the most militant mindsets across the entire planet.
I've not once seen a war fought in the name of atheism, unlike the 20+ religiously-driven wars raging globally at the moment.

And to talk about an "existent" god and a "non" existent god is just confused babbling designed to muddy the waters. No

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
11-01-2018, 11:40 PM
(02-01-2018 02:48 AM)thermodynamics Wrote:  Is it necessary to debate between atheism and a religion?

The bold man has no hair. We can say, what he has non-existent hair. The atheist comes to any theist, looks at his god. This god has following properties, according to theist: existent, loving, judging, omnipresent (or any properties the theist thinks of his god). Then, the procedure of atheism removes one single property from this list: existence. Remains: loving, judging, omnipresent, etc.
So, the atheists encompass all gods of theism-s, but removing the property of existence. So, one can finally conclude what atheism is: it is having the Nonexistent Loving God, so an atheist feels free today to love and tomorrow to reject love's existence. Am I right?

No. No, you are not right.

In order for something to have properties, it must exist. A nonexistent anything doesn't make sense because it can't be a thing if it does not exist because things by definition must exist.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
12-01-2018, 01:20 AM
I thought he would come back and repeat his meaningless mantras a few more times, but it seems we've been spared that and he's given up.

It would be nice if he could learn and admit that most of what he said is flat out wrong, because it doesn't even make sense.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-01-2018, 08:44 PM
(11-01-2018 11:40 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  In order for something to have properties, it must exist. A nonexistent anything doesn't make sense because it can't be a thing if it does not exist because things by definition must exist.

Well, yeah, but...

There are cases where it's not simple.

For example, you can make statements about Sherlock Holmes's properties that are true or untrue, even though he doesn't exist. If I say he lives in Peru, that's wrong.

Then there are things like numbers which exist non-materially, and have properties. And one of the main traditions of theology, since Plato, says that God exists in the same way as numbers -- non-materially, as Idea.
[+] 1 user Likes Belaqua's post
12-01-2018, 08:51 PM
(12-01-2018 08:44 PM)Belaqua Wrote:  
(11-01-2018 11:40 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  In order for something to have properties, it must exist. A nonexistent anything doesn't make sense because it can't be a thing if it does not exist because things by definition must exist.

Well, yeah, but...

There are cases where it's not simple.

For example, you can make statements about Sherlock Holmes's properties that are true or untrue, even though he doesn't exist. If I say he lives in Peru, that's wrong.

Then there are things like numbers which exist non-materially, and have properties. And one of the main traditions of theology, since Plato, says that God exists in the same way as numbers -- non-materially, as Idea.

God is indeed an idea, an abstract concept. But theists pulling this kind of stunt are trying to have their cake and eat it. They want God to be a concept so it can hide from scrutiny and even from reality; yet they want it to be an intelligent agent. Concepts don't have agency. Concepts don't do anything at all. So they want it to act as if it isn't a concept, but is something real in the physical world. Special pleading, I guess you'd call it.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post