Does atheism or theism have any practical uses for society?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-10-2013, 02:08 PM
Does atheism or theism have any practical uses for society?
Example: right now the capitalist world is experiencing and will continue to experience further declines economically and economic depression on a world wide scale is well already began. How does theism or atheism have any practical uses in helping this situation.

Theists and atheists are welcome to attempt to explain the practical uses of their belief systems.

If there are no practical uses for real world problems then are the positions of atheism and theism a head in the sand personal belief that keeps people distracted from every day life?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2013, 02:20 PM
RE: Does atheism or theism have any practical uses for society?
You don't give straight answers, so why should anybody give a fuck?

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 5 users Like bemore's post
04-10-2013, 02:25 PM
No, they do not have any practical uses for society.

Atheism and theism aren't belief systems. They're differing positions on one topic.

No, they are not. If all you know about a person is that they are a theist or an atheist, you know nothing important about them. The only reason atheism even seems to be a topic is that many theists can't seem to wrap their heads around that some people don't believe in any God or gods at all. But atheism and theism themselves arent' the real topic. The real topic is how the positions are justififed. And THAT's where belief systems come in.

Atheism and theism don't have a practical use for society. Rational skepticism, freethought, humanism, Chrisitanity, Hinduism....THOSE things which ARE world views, life stances, or whatever you want to call them; DO have relevance to society, for good or ill.
[+] 3 users Like Dean J. Smith's post
04-10-2013, 02:30 PM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2013 02:38 PM by Raptor Jesus.)
Atheism doesn't have to do anything, because it's simply a lack of belief in a specific thing ("God" and "gods"). It's not a philosophy or a way of life. It's only a lack if belief in "God" and "gods" and that's all. Period.

However Atheism in responce to Theism is of great value, but that's due to the distructive nature of Theism, rather than Atheism.

It's a bit like asking, "Does 'the-lack-of-bullshit-made-up-beliefs-that-historically-have-proven-distructive-and-socially-dangerous' or 'bullshit-made-up-beliefs-that-historically-have-proven-distructive-and-socially-dangerous' have any practical uses for society?"

I choice the lack of bullshit made up beliefs that historically have proven distructive and socially dangerous.

[+] 1 user Likes Raptor Jesus's post
04-10-2013, 02:43 PM
Why don't you tell us? You must have all the answers.
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
04-10-2013, 02:57 PM
(04-10-2013 02:25 PM)Dean J. Smith Wrote:  No, they do not have any practical uses for society.

Atheism and theism aren't belief systems. They're differing positions on one topic.

No, they are not. If all you know about a person is that they are a theist or an atheist, you know nothing important about them. The only reason atheism even seems to be a topic is that many theists can't seem to wrap their heads around that some people don't believe in any God or gods at all. But atheism and theism themselves arent' the real topic. The real topic is how the positions are justififed. And THAT's where belief systems come in.

Atheism and theism don't have a practical use for society. Rational skepticism, freethought, humanism, Chrisitanity, Hinduism....THOSE things which ARE world views, life stances, or whatever you want to call them; DO have relevance to society, for good or ill.

So if a position has no practical use for society then are those positions dangerous for society? It doesn't help real world problems to hold views that are of no practical use for society does it? If one holds views that are no practical use to society then one is essentially constructing his own personal fantasy belief system divorced from the world around him, that goes for the position of atheism and theism.
04-10-2013, 03:04 PM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2013 03:55 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Why, it most certainly does.
Atheism has a VERY practical use.
A VERY practical use.

It seems to keep I and I off the streets, and glued to his computer, safely tucked away from polite society.

Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 7 users Like Bucky Ball's post
04-10-2013, 03:05 PM
(04-10-2013 02:57 PM)I and I Wrote:  
(04-10-2013 02:25 PM)Dean J. Smith Wrote:  No, they do not have any practical uses for society.

So if a position has no practical use for society then are those positions dangerous for society? It doesn't help real world problems to hold views that are of no practical use for society does it? If one holds views that are no practical use to society then one is essentially constructing his own personal fantasy belief system divorced from the world around him, that goes for the position of atheism and theism.
Your right! its so clear. next...Bowing
04-10-2013, 03:11 PM
(04-10-2013 02:57 PM)I and I Wrote:  So if a position has no practical use for society then are those positions dangerous for society? It doesn't help real world problems to hold views that are of no practical use for society does it? If one holds views that are no practical use to society then one is essentially constructing his own personal fantasy belief system divorced from the world around him, that goes for the position of atheism and theism.

Again, Atheism is not a belief. It is a lack of a particular belief ("God" and "gods").

I can't say that I know, but I'm going to assume you don't believe in unicorns. You could be called a aunicornist.

Your aunicorism has no practical use for society. Does the fact that you are an aunicornist mean you construct your own personal fantasy belief system divorced from the world around you that there are no unicorns?

Is your aunicornist "belief" dangerous for socity?

04-10-2013, 03:13 PM
Theism? No. Religion? Yes. Religion can be used to control people and to direct their energies into specific channels. Religion can be used to get people to donate their time, money, and effort into useful (or not) channels.

Whether or not this is ethical to cynically use a falsehood to brainwash people to achieve some end is another matter entirely.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post