Does atheism or theism have any practical uses for society?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-10-2013, 03:13 PM
RE: Does atheism or theism have any practical uses for society?
(04-10-2013 03:11 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  
(04-10-2013 02:57 PM)I and I Wrote:  So if a position has no practical use for society then are those positions dangerous for society? It doesn't help real world problems to hold views that are of no practical use for society does it? If one holds views that are no practical use to society then one is essentially constructing his own personal fantasy belief system divorced from the world around him, that goes for the position of atheism and theism.

Again, Atheism is not a belief. It is a lack of a particular belief ("God" and "gods").

I can't say that I know, but I'm going to assume you don't believe in unicorns. You could be called a aunicornist.

Your aunicorism has no practical use for society. Does the fact that you are an aunicornist mean you construct your own personal fantasy belief system divorced from the world around you that there are no unicorns?

Is your aunicornist "belief" dangerous for socity?

What if 80% of people did believe in unicorns and based their life decisions around what they belief unicorns whant them to do? And what if their beliefs of what the unicorns want is to sacrifice children, go to war, grown and burn 60% percent of crops grown in the US every year for offerings to the unicorns?

Would it not be better to be an aunicornist in that socity?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2013, 04:33 PM
(04-10-2013 03:13 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  
(04-10-2013 03:11 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  Again, Atheism is not a belief. It is a lack of a particular belief ("God" and "gods").

I can't say that I know, but I'm going to assume you don't believe in unicorns. You could be called a aunicornist.

Your aunicorism has no practical use for society. Does the fact that you are an aunicornist mean you construct your own personal fantasy belief system divorced from the world around you that there are no unicorns?

Is your aunicornist "belief" dangerous for socity?

What if 80% of people did believe in unicorns and based their life decisions around what they belief unicorns whant them to do? And what if their beliefs of what the unicorns want is to sacrifice children, go to war, grown and burn 60% percent of crops grown in the US every year for offerings to the unicorns?

If 80 percent of the population believed in unicorns yet lived and acted like the 20 percent who don't when it comes to every day practical living then no it would not matter. If the position of atheism and theism both are complacent and do not mind and do nothing about a growing infringement on their civil liberties by a certain government then both positions are useless to society. Or if both atheist and theist both contently circle the toilet bowl in the current global economic crisis then yes both positions are useless It certainly doesn't matter if your car breaks down, or if you work a shitty job whether or not one is an atheist or not. Both positions seem to be divorced from practical every day living.
04-10-2013, 05:24 PM
(04-10-2013 04:33 PM)I and I Wrote:  
(04-10-2013 03:13 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  What if 80% of people did believe in unicorns and based their life decisions around what they belief unicorns whant them to do? And what if their beliefs of what the unicorns want is to sacrifice children, go to war, grown and burn 60% percent of crops grown in the US every year for offerings to the unicorns?

If 80 percent of the population believed in unicorns yet lived and acted like the 20 percent who don't when it comes to every day practical living then no it would not matter. If the position of atheism and theism both are complacent and do not mind and do nothing about a growing infringement on their civil liberties by a certain government then both positions are useless to society. Or if both atheist and theist both contently circle the toilet bowl in the current global economic crisis then yes both positions are useless It certainly doesn't matter if your car breaks down, or if you work a shitty job whether or not one is an atheist or not. Both positions seem to be divorced from practical every day living.

These positions are not divorced from daily living.

Theism often drives social and political behavior, and blocks rational ad skeptical thinking. Religion can also be divisive, creating 'in' group/'out' group tensions.

Atheism removes that particular block making rational, skeptical thinking more possible and likely.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
04-10-2013, 06:04 PM
(04-10-2013 05:24 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-10-2013 04:33 PM)I and I Wrote:  If 80 percent of the population believed in unicorns yet lived and acted like the 20 percent who don't when it comes to every day practical living then no it would not matter. If the position of atheism and theism both are complacent and do not mind and do nothing about a growing infringement on their civil liberties by a certain government then both positions are useless to society. Or if both atheist and theist both contently circle the toilet bowl in the current global economic crisis then yes both positions are useless It certainly doesn't matter if your car breaks down, or if you work a shitty job whether or not one is an atheist or not. Both positions seem to be divorced from practical every day living.

These positions are not divorced from daily living.

Theism often drives social and political behavior, and blocks rational ad skeptical thinking. Religion can also be divisive, creating 'in' group/'out' group tensions.

Atheism removes that particular block making rational, skeptical thinking more possible and likely.

If me and you were fixing a car, how would any of our beliefs affect the way we go about repairing the car.

If an atheist and a theist both believe that torture is acceptable, does it matter that their beliefs took them through different logical hoops to arrive at the same conclusion?

any belief can be divisive and block rational thinking and skeptical thought, if the belief is in abstract notions that are divorced from everyday living.

Do you have any every day examples as to how atheism or theism is better or worse than one another? This morning I made scrambled eggs, explain how being an atheist or theist would make one a better cook. Then I drove to work, explain how atheism or theism makes one a better driver.
04-10-2013, 06:13 PM
(04-10-2013 06:04 PM)I and I Wrote:  
(04-10-2013 05:24 PM)Chas Wrote:  These positions are not divorced from daily living.

If me and you were fixing a car, how would any of our beliefs affect the way we go about repairing the car.

If an atheist and a theist both believe that torture is acceptable, does it matter that their beliefs took them through different logical hoops to arrive at the same conclusion?

any belief can be divisive and block rational thinking and skeptical thought, if the belief is in abstract notions that are divorced from everyday living.

Do you have any every day examples as to how atheism or theism is better or worse than one another? This morning I made scrambled eggs, explain how being an atheist or theist would make one a better cook. Then I drove to work, explain how atheism or theism makes one a better driver.

There you go again, moving goalposts, reframing the argument.

You asked about practical effects on society, not mundane details about daily life.

We're done here.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
04-10-2013, 06:31 PM
(04-10-2013 02:57 PM)I and I Wrote:  So if a position has no practical use for society then are those positions dangerous for society?
Is it dangerous for society to not believe in fairies?
Is it dangerous for society to believe in fairies?

If both positions are dangerous then how can we avoid both of them, what is the third option?
04-10-2013, 06:34 PM
(04-10-2013 06:31 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(04-10-2013 02:57 PM)I and I Wrote:  So if a position has no practical use for society then are those positions dangerous for society?
Is it dangerous for society to not believe in fairies?

If both positions are dangerous then how can we avoid both of them, what is the third option?
To be agnostic about fairies?
04-10-2013, 06:44 PM
(04-10-2013 06:34 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  
(04-10-2013 06:31 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Is it dangerous for society to not believe in fairies?

To be agnostic about fairies?
But agnosticism has nothing to do with belief, so that is a different topic.
04-10-2013, 06:54 PM
(04-10-2013 04:33 PM)I and I Wrote:  
(04-10-2013 03:13 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  What if 80% of people did believe in unicorns and based their life decisions around what they belief unicorns whant them to do? And what if their beliefs of what the unicorns want is to sacrifice children, go to war, grown and burn 60% percent of crops grown in the US every year for offerings to the unicorns?

You said a lot of things that had nothing to do with my point. You jus decided to make different points instead, so I don't really know why you needed to quote me there other than to pretend you addressed what I wrote.

Either way, what I got from what you wrote is that it's pointless not to believe in unicorns (aunicornist) and pointless to believe in unicorns (unicornist).

So you should some how believe in unicorns and not believe in unicorns at the same time...because of the economy, or something.

Which is it? Do you believe in unicorns or not?

That's not a rethorical question. I would like an answer to that please. Believe in unicorns, "yes" or "no"?

04-10-2013, 07:02 PM
Does I&I have any practical use for society?

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 3 users Like nach_in's post