Does atheism solve the problem of evil?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-11-2013, 12:07 PM
RE: Does atheism solve the problem of evil?
(23-11-2013 11:14 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Nope. The OP needs to define "evil", (for himself/herself).
It's not the job of "atheism" to *do* anything. One does not get to select (*plug in*) a worldview that gets the "most things done", or is "the most satisfactory", based on how much or what it accomplishes, (Utilitarianism.) The search for truth is agnostic. It matters not what it "does" or does not do. Religion certainly does NOT "solve" the problem of evil, (and it can easily demonstrated it can't even define it, historically MIS-defines it, and is utterly bankrupt).
So, no. It has nothing to say about the matter of evil, nor should it, nor need it. The assumption of the question in the OP, is that one gets to pick a worldview that accomplishes the most, (a variation of "god of the gaps"). It's a meaningless question.

Religion actually creates the 'problem of evil'. Without gods, there is no conflict between what we see and what should or could be.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
23-11-2013, 12:55 PM (This post was last modified: 23-11-2013 01:07 PM by IndianAtheist.)
Atheism is just a personal stance.. where you stand corrected from all confusions and delusions of the world and make certain sense of the world around you and treasure your life that you only get once.
(23-11-2013 12:07 PM)Chas Wrote:  Religion actually creates the 'problem of evil'. Without gods, there is no conflict between what we see and what should or could be
Its not that Religion is evil.. its just that people are paranoid,insecure,selfish and most importantly don't want to face the world as it is they want a front and Religion is that.

Why else do you think people refuse to accept the obvious ?

Even if all religions around the world is abolished people will still find something else to make themselves feel superior,being an atheist however doesn't make me feel superior to anyone i just feel like i'm being honest to myself and everything around me.

Religion is just a form of escapism albeit extreme.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes IndianAtheist's post
23-11-2013, 02:49 PM
You people are right. I would need to define evil before I could even present a problem of evil.

I suppose it's my own opinion but I think of evil as something which is directly done to hurt another person against their will such as child molestation or murder. I reject the idea of "sin" but I just feel things are sometimes still wrong.

And since I reject a god that is omnipotent or omniscient, does that make me an atheist?

My current project is explaining why many things in this world are irrelevant to me.
23-11-2013, 03:01 PM (This post was last modified: 23-11-2013 03:05 PM by Free.)
(23-11-2013 09:28 AM)chandlerklebs Wrote:  I have already seen that religion fails to answer the basic problem of evil. Do atheists have an explanation of where evil comes from and the correct way to stop it?

Evil does not exist. Nor does Good.

That's right, there is no such thing as good and evil.

The things we encounter in life which we attribute to good and evil are merely expressions of correctness and error. To explain those things as being either good or evil invokes beliefs in the supernatural, of which we atheists have no existing beliefs.

It's either right or wrong; positive or negative, correctness or error.

It really is that simple.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
23-11-2013, 03:45 PM
(23-11-2013 02:49 PM)chandlerklebs Wrote:  You people are right. I would need to define evil before I could even present a problem of evil.

I suppose it's my own opinion but I think of evil as something which is directly done to hurt another person against their will such as child molestation or murder. I reject the idea of "sin" but I just feel things are sometimes still wrong.

And since I reject a god that is omnipotent or omniscient, does that make me an atheist?

What your really asking about is Morals, to feel a "wrongness" is your own moral compass twerking,
Instincts are genetic, but most people agree that morals are environmental.
Although the idea of Morals being genetic seems to be gaining traction.

oddly a person raised in an bad environment will still learn good and bad based on witnessing the cause and effects of their own and others behavior.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
23-11-2013, 07:58 PM
(23-11-2013 02:49 PM)chandlerklebs Wrote:  You people are right. I would need to define evil before I could even present a problem of evil.

An atheist is one who lacks belief in a god or gods. If you lack belief in them then that would make you an atheist. Rejecting a god would mean perhaps you believe in them, but choose not to accept them (depending on how you wish to define "reject"). So is it that you reject the gods presented to you by others, or do you simply lack belief that gods exist?

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
23-11-2013, 08:17 PM
(23-11-2013 09:28 AM)chandlerklebs Wrote:  I have already seen that religion fails to answer the basic problem of evil. Do atheists have an explanation of where evil comes from and the correct way to stop it?

You don't appear to understand what the problem of evil is.
23-11-2013, 08:46 PM

The problem is that the "good/evil dichotomy" is a false choice fallacy.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
23-11-2013, 09:33 PM
While the definition is arbitrary, if evil has something to do with acting in self-interest without regard to the impact on others, I'm pretty sure evolutionary biology explains that just fine, without resorting to any claims about the existence of gods.

I've yet to see even a mediocre Christian defense of the problem. Still waiting.
23-11-2013, 10:53 PM
Starting in middle school I adopted the saying, "There is no such thing as evil, just bad decisions."

I still hold to that. I don't believe in evil. I acknowledge things for what they are.

Horrible natural disasters.
Brutality of the animal kingdom.
Human selfishness, greed, self preservation instinct/tendencies.
Psychopathy, lack of empathy/sympathy, desensitized to brutality.
Corruption ..usually an intricate web of greed and "necessity"

What is evil to you? I think the "problem of evil" can be easily explained by the following:

Life is not fair, and not all get a fair chance at life.