Does consumption correlate as a freedom?
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2013, 11:06 PM
Under the modern capitalist ideology, the only freedom that most people care about is their freedom to consume. You can concentrate media into a few hands making it more difficult for free speech for most, you can take away people's privacy and spy on them, you can take away people's voting power by making elections all about the money spent and you can limit and take away people's legal rights when being taken into government custody.

Yet if a restriction were passed on consuming something, this would cause more outcry than any of the things mentioned above.

What good argument is there that can show that consumption should be related to freedom at all, or that restricting consumption is somehow a restricting freedom?
Find all posts by this user
13-11-2013, 12:14 AM
RE: Does consumption correlate as a freedom?
Investment in invention is driven by a possible lotto win of consumption, I think its a necessary evil to have it unrestricted.
But some harmful things should have restricted consumption, people should not have the freedom to bankrupt a health care system.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
13-11-2013, 09:20 AM
People don't really care about restricting rights until it's a right THEY want...it's not that america doesn't care about any of your first paragraph, it's that most people don't see shit like that happening on a daily basis. Basically it falls down to, "oh well it's not happening to me, so why bother?"

It happened with the Gun debate....Nobody in texas cared about more restrictive laws in California, but as soon as the Fed's were speaking against gun ownership, all the redneck texas boys came out of the woodwork screamin "YOU CAN'T TAKE MAH GUNS".

Shock And Awe Tactics-- The "application of massive or overwhelming force" to "disarm, incapacitate, or render the enemy impotent with as few casualties to ourselves and to noncombatants as possible"
13-11-2013, 09:52 AM
(12-11-2013 11:06 PM)I and I Wrote:  Under the modern capitalist ideology, the only freedom that most people care about is their freedom to consume.

Spamming again I see. More idiot threads about nothing.
Forgot to take our meds this week ?
Post the poll that demonstrates your premise, or shut your fucking idiot trap.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
13-11-2013, 10:10 AM
(13-11-2013 09:52 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(12-11-2013 11:06 PM)I and I Wrote:  Under the modern capitalist ideology, the only freedom that most people care about is their freedom to consume.

You are still a douchebag I see.
14-11-2013, 07:25 PM
Any insight as to why consumption is associated with freedom?

If Junk food was banned making the consumption of junk food extremely hard to get, would this be a restriction of freedom?
14-11-2013, 08:53 PM
I think
5) Maliciously Disrupting the Forum is Prohibited
Anyone who comes here with the sole intent of causing chaos and conflict is not welcome. Being intentionally overly disruptive is also not acceptable. In the event that it is felt by the forum Administration that a person is causing excessive issues then they will be officially warned. Failure to heed the warning may lead to temporary bans leading up to a permanent ban if the offending behaviour is not ceased. This is considered a last resort and only for the most serious situations. Anyone who is felt to be trying to manipulate this rule to get another member banned by causing controversy about them risks falling foul of this rule themself.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
15-11-2013, 07:23 AM
(13-11-2013 09:52 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

You mean like this?
[+] 1 user Likes I and I's post
15-11-2013, 09:03 AM
Re: Does consumption correlate as a freedom?
People are seemingly taught that any limiting of options to be chosen is a loss of freedom. That is where this stems from. Exactly why that builds up, I'm not sure.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Thread Closed