Does context matter?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-03-2014, 10:51 PM
RE: Does context matter?
(07-03-2014 10:48 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(07-03-2014 10:45 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Context matters a lot in my opinion. Unless the word in irregardless. Capital Punishment for using that word. Yuck!

So you're saying that it's a word now?

Dodgy

It is technically a word, though some people (like me) hate it. It's in my dictionary.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2014, 10:53 PM
(07-03-2014 10:51 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(07-03-2014 10:48 PM)DLJ Wrote:  So you're saying that it's a word now?

Dodgy

It is technically a word, though some people (like me) hate it. It's in my dictionary.

I have the same reaction to hopefully and basically.

07-03-2014, 10:57 PM
(07-03-2014 10:53 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(07-03-2014 10:51 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  It is technically a word, though some people (like me) hate it. It's in my dictionary.

I have the same reaction to hopefully and basically.

Well hopefully you don't hate me, because I basically use those words a lot Laugh out load I kid Tongue

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 3 users Like Smercury44's post
07-03-2014, 11:25 PM
(07-03-2014 10:57 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(07-03-2014 10:53 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I have the same reaction to hopefully and basically.

Well hopefully you don't hate me, because I basically use those words a lot Laugh out load I kid Tongue

I offended!

I burn your embassy!

Angry

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
08-03-2014, 12:59 AM
Not only the context, the context context also matters

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
08-03-2014, 02:03 AM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2014 02:07 AM by Alex_Leonardo.)
Someone get some quotes from the pope:
"I" august 1999
"Like" feb 1987
"Little boys'" jan 1726
"Female" july 2001
"Cox" june 2015
The pope is bisexual! Or a transexaphile.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
08-03-2014, 03:01 AM
(08-03-2014 12:59 AM)nach_in Wrote:  Not only the context, the context context also matters

Holy Scripture ... Con Texts.

Nuff said.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
08-03-2014, 04:46 AM
As my dad says, it's not words that are wicked, it's a man's mind.

I do believe context matters, but I wonder if there are any words there is no acceptable context for that I can't think about right now.

What kind of words can there be legal repercussion for in the UK?

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
09-03-2014, 06:33 PM
Anything deemed 'hate speech' is punishable by law in England.

Further to this discussion what does anyone think about either of these examples, both from the world of football.

Example 1 - WBA striker Nicolas Anelka was charged by the FA for using an anti-Semitic gesture. He made a quenelle while celebrating a goal. The quenelle was devised by a French comedian and friend of Anelka. While the comedian and Anelka claim it to be an anti-establishment gesture many others claim it to be anti-Semitic and the comedian in question has several convictions for anti-Semitism. After the disciplinary process Anelka was banned for five games. Weirdly enough the panel that banned him accepted that he was neither an anti-Semite, nor had used the gesture intending it symbolise anti-Semitism. They accepted he had made it with the intent of making an anti-establishment gesture but have still banned him as they say it is too closely linked with anti-Semitism for it to be acceptable for him to use it at all.

Example 2 - Tottenham is a club that has close links to London's Jewish community. As such some sections of fans have taken to calling themselves 'yids' (also used as a derogatory term for Jews). Both the FA and police have said that any Tottenham fans using the phrase, even to refer to themselves, may face prosecution as it is deemed to be hate speech. Earlier this season three Tottenham fans were arrested and charged for chanting about themselves being yids. Their charges were recently dropped.

What does anyone think about these two scenarios?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
09-03-2014, 06:56 PM
I don't like them, I think that if something doesn't explicitly encourages people to commit a crime it shouldn't be illegal. I don't give a flying fuck about some group feelings being hurt for some discriminatory gesture, nobody should have their feelings protected by law.

Now, if the gesture was explicit, like "slicing" your throat with your finger, then that should be illegal. But even the nazi salute should be legal. There are social penalties that are enough, I'd like to see someone who made a nazi salute in public trying to get a job afterwards.

And all of that is context dependant. Every form of human communication is context dependant, and context must dictate how things are understood, when law brakes that wall it becomes dictatorial

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post