Does daylight savings time do anything, anything at all?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-11-2014, 07:04 PM
RE: Does daylight savings time do anything, anything at all?
Fiddling with our clocks twice a year is worse than pointless. We have more heart attacks, less productivity, more car accidents, and more workplace injuries.

http://news.discovery.com/human/life/dan...131103.htm

I like the proposal for the US here: http://www.standardtime.com/proposal.html

Quote:The Proposal

The activists here at standardtime.com have a modest proposal to end daylight saving time that will reap large benefits in addition to ending the semi-annual changing of the clock.

It has not escaped our notice that in the United States, Eastern standard time is the same as Central daylight time and Mountain standard time is the same as Pacific Daylight Time. Thus, we propose that The Pacific and Central time zones remain on permanent daylight saving time, and that the Mountain and Eastern time zones remain on permanent standard time.

In addition to releasing us from the burden of having to set our clocks every few months, this will also reduce the number of time zones in the United States from four to two. Thus, for example, New York, Philadelphia, Chicago, and Dallas will now all be operating on the same time, and people will no longer have to adjust to different time zones when they do business or travel between any of these cities. Also, we'll be able to get rid of those annoying television schedules that say "8:30 PM/7:30 Central", since the Eastern time zone will be the same as the Central time zone. Further, people traveling or doing business between the East and West coasts will only have a two hour time difference to contend with, instead of the three hour difference with which we are currently burdened.

This proposal will simplify scheduling, travel, and commerce. And by ending semi-annual clock tampering, it will also allow people to get more sleep, be better adjusted to their daily routine, avoid missed appointments resulting from failure to reset clocks, and, most importantly, save lives.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
02-11-2014, 07:06 PM
(02-11-2014 07:01 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(02-11-2014 07:01 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Saving daylight is a good thing.

You never know when we'll run out of it.

Conservation of energy and all that.

Yes

'Cept they don't really save it, they just move it around. Dodgy

No, I think you're wrong, there.

Daylight is definitely being saved from extinction. Hence the expression "the living daylights".

Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
02-11-2014, 07:40 PM
(02-11-2014 07:06 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(02-11-2014 07:01 PM)Anjele Wrote:  'Cept they don't really save it, they just move it around. Dodgy

No, I think you're wrong, there.

Daylight is definitely being saved from extinction. Hence the expression "the living daylights".

Drinking Beverage

Facepalm

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-11-2014, 09:45 PM
I love it, always have, always will. Why not just keep it DST all the time?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-11-2014, 09:56 PM
(02-11-2014 09:45 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  I love it, always have, always will. Why not just keep it DST all the time?

I do like the sun going down later. When DST ends the sun goes down about 4:30 here in Portland OR and it seems like it's dark all the time. Actually, now that I think about it, I too wish it would stay permanently DST. It's changing back and forth that's a pain in the ass. Choose one or the other.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
02-11-2014, 10:38 PM
(02-11-2014 07:01 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(02-11-2014 07:01 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Saving daylight is a good thing.

You never know when we'll run out of it.

Conservation of energy and all that.

Yes

'Cept they don't really save it, they just move it around. Dodgy

Yep. Daylight Displacement Time. It's dumb.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
02-11-2014, 11:08 PM
I don't care which way dst or st

I wish they'd just pick one or the other.

I can never remember how to change the clock in my car. Weeping

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

02-11-2014, 11:52 PM
It was responsible for me attending a 1 hour Anti-Terrorism Force Protection Meeting. Turns out the new automated gate that we installed did not know to switch times...and the gate was wide open with no guards. Whoops!

[+] 3 users Like Dark Light's post
03-11-2014, 07:11 AM
(02-11-2014 06:18 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  That was nice but does D. S. T. actually save energy these days? Back when there were more farmers, maybe...... but today?

It makes a few individuals an hour late or early to church the following Sunday, depending on if it's spring or fall.

It also tricks me into thinking that I get an extra hour of sleep, then my daughters get up with their biological clocks tell them to, because they don't care and they didn't stay up an extra hour late playing Borderlands.
03-11-2014, 09:11 AM
"Only a white man would believe that you could cut a foot of the top of a blanket and sew it to the bottom of the blanket and have a longer blanket."
-some old Lakota dude.
[+] 5 users Like Drunkin Druid's post