Does daylight savings time do anything, anything at all?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-11-2014, 10:06 AM
RE: Does daylight savings time do anything, anything at all?
(02-11-2014 11:52 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  It was responsible for me attending a 1 hour Anti-Terrorism Force Protection Meeting. Turns out the new automated gate that we installed did not know to switch times...and the gate was wide open with no guards. Whoops!

Your tax dollars at work. Thumbsup
http://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst/dayl...ealth.html
I think this was already posted but there are studies that show it's not a good thing.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
03-11-2014, 03:41 PM
I hate it...

I'm so glad to be back on GMT here.

They were talking about putting time on two hours in winter... Because it's dusky when kids are coming out of school.

They forget that it'd mean kids going to school in pitch darkness.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-11-2014, 03:44 PM
(03-11-2014 03:41 PM)Sam Wrote:  I hate it...

They were talking about putting time on two hours in winter... Because it's dusky when kids are coming out of school.

Or they could just fucking change the school hours. Dolts. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
03-11-2014, 03:46 PM
Yes it does.

It makes me late for work one day a year and too early for work one day a year.

What do you mean Life is short. It's the longest thing you're going to do.
[+] 1 user Likes stevec's post
03-11-2014, 04:00 PM
(03-11-2014 03:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-11-2014 03:41 PM)Sam Wrote:  I hate it...

Or they could just fucking change the school hours. Dolts. Dodgy

They briefly experimented with changing the school hours from 9 til 3, to 10 til 4.

Attendance rates increased, tardiness decreased, grades improved and classroom behaviour improved... The government promptly decided to ignore the results and leave things as they are.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
03-11-2014, 04:16 PM
(02-11-2014 06:56 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  It's a relic of an agricultural society.

Technically, but not entirely.
(pre-modern societies don't have clocks!)

It's the relic of a very particular intersection between agricultural societies and the propagation of standardised time and electricity. For a brief period in the early 20th century there was an awareness of the change - between solar time, arbiter of outdoor work, and the new rhythm, standard time and electric lighting.

If it didn't happen precisely when it did - tied up with the desperation of total war! - no one would have bothered.
(I doubt it would have been brought back like in the 70s without having been used before, classic politician's syllogism though it always was)

... this is my signature!
03-11-2014, 04:24 PM
(03-11-2014 04:00 PM)Sam Wrote:  
(03-11-2014 03:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  Or they could just fucking change the school hours. Dolts. Dodgy

They briefly experimented with changing the school hours from 9 til 3, to 10 til 4.

Attendance rates increased, tardiness decreased, grades improved and classroom behaviour improved... The government promptly decided to ignore the results and leave things as they are.

They tried that at the school my husband teaches at but the after school sports practices got all wacky. They got started too late in the afternoon or something. The coaches especially bitched about it.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
03-11-2014, 05:07 PM
(03-11-2014 04:24 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(03-11-2014 04:00 PM)Sam Wrote:  They briefly experimented with changing the school hours from 9 til 3, to 10 til 4.

They tried that at the school my husband teaches at but the after school sports practices got all wacky. They got started too late in the afternoon or something. The coaches especially bitched about it.

The coaches at my school used to stay very late, to ferry home the detention kids...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
05-11-2014, 05:15 AM
It has quite a dramatic effect in Britain because we are so far north. It just means that in the winter there is a little more usable light in the afternoon, but it also means sometimes the sun doesn't come up until close to 10AM. Of course the sun coming up closer to 9AM isn't so much better, but having an extra hour in the late afternoon can be very useful.

I'm not sure why countries near the equator would do the daylight saving thing though.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
05-11-2014, 07:33 AM
(03-11-2014 05:07 PM)Sam Wrote:  
(03-11-2014 04:24 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  They tried that at the school my husband teaches at but the after school sports practices got all wacky. They got started too late in the afternoon or something. The coaches especially bitched about it.

The coaches at my school used to stay very late, to ferry home the detention kids...

Wait are we using coach like bus in this context?

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.