Does exposure to theistic rituals strengthen your atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-02-2016, 03:32 AM (This post was last modified: 22-02-2016 04:29 AM by Silly Deity.)
Does exposure to theistic rituals strengthen your atheism?
I attended the funeral of an old family friend at the end of last week.

He had been suffering for many years from a degenerative disease that had resulted in increasing debilitation and eventual death. When death came it was not unexpected and was in many ways a relief for his family. In a cruel twist of fate, his wife - who had cared for him throughout - suffered a stroke a week or two before he died. Undoubtedly the stresses and strain of caring for her husband had taken their toll on her too.

The funeral was held in the local village church - a presbyterian kirk - and I traveled many hundreds of miles to pay my respects. How could I not? He and his wife had been good friends of my parents and I had known them since I was a child.

It was when the minister began his sermon that - for me - the bizarre nature of religion was brought into sharp focus.

Aside from a few comments about the fact that the deceased was a loving husband, father, grandfather, brother etc. and that he had done "good" things and that he was a "good christian man", the majority of this sermon - delivered in an unctuous manner - was all about god/Jesus, how he loved us, how he was good and great and caring and promised us all everlasting life.

In other words the usual complete bullshit that seems to be regurgitated by clergymen at the drop of a hat. It was as if he'd copied and pasted a few personal details into the template he'd used at a thousand other funerals over the years.

It was meaningless. Totally and utterly meaningless.

I sat there in that church listening, and realised that if anything could strengthened my rejection of religion and see through its bizarre rituals and superstitions, surely it was this!

I'm betting I'm not alone and that a number of people on this forum have had similar experiences

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Silly Deity's post
22-02-2016, 03:44 AM
RE: Does exposure to theistic rituals strengthen your atheism?
I am a lifelong atheist. Was never a believer in bullshit. I don't attend any form of religious ceremony due to my holding them in abject contempt.

I have told me relatives if I die to simply have my body burned and go out to dinner. Perhaps mention me, but eat drink and be merry.

Religion is bullshit. Only idiots, of which there are many, keep it alive.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
22-02-2016, 05:07 AM
Yes.

Five times every fucking day!

I can hear the 'call to prayer' from numerous different mosques at different locations and they are all slightly out of sync.

It wouldn't be so bad if that awful dirge had some drum 'n' bass.

Maybe ...

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
22-02-2016, 08:03 AM
No, but it strengthens my. Wow this is fucking intense indoctrination-ism

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
22-02-2016, 08:17 AM
My condolences.

No, my lack of belief in imaginary gods needs no strength, it just is. But it does confirm my sincerely held position that humans are still fucked up in many ways.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
22-02-2016, 08:24 AM
(22-02-2016 03:32 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  I sat there in that church listening, and realised that if anything could strengthened my rejection of religion and see through its bizarre rituals and superstitions, surely it was this!

I'm betting I'm not alone and that a number of people on this forum have had similar experiences

I guess I could say it kind of does.

I certainly see things in church and similar settings where people do weird stuff, and I am in no hurry to get back to that lifestyle. That being said, I don't know that it makes me believe it less; I already don't believe.

One thing I've noticed is that the bizarre rituals look even weirder to me, now that I'm willing to question them. I like noticing various Christian rituals and seeing how similar they look to certain D&D spells. They even use somatic gestures and ritualistic incantations! Bonus points if they use holy water or some other material component/focus. So, I'll watch them dip their hands in the holy water, make a cross and hold their hands outstretched, saying the benediction and think "Man, I would have gotten +1 on my attack rolls and saves vs fear if I were sitting close enough to be in the area of effect...". Oh well. It's not like I'm fighting many orcs, anyway.
[+] 6 users Like RobbyPants's post
22-02-2016, 10:28 AM
(22-02-2016 08:24 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(22-02-2016 03:32 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  I sat there in that church listening, and realised that if anything could strengthened my rejection of religion and see through its bizarre rituals and superstitions, surely it was this!

I guess I could say it kind of does.

I certainly see things in church and similar settings where people do weird stuff, and I am in no hurry to get back to that lifestyle. That being said, I don't know that it makes me believe it less; I already don't believe.

One thing I've noticed is that the bizarre rituals look even weirder to me, now that I'm willing to question them. I like noticing various Christian rituals and seeing how similar they look to certain D&D spells. They even use somatic gestures and ritualistic incantations! Bonus points if they use holy water or some other material component/focus. So, I'll watch them dip their hands in the holy water, make a cross and hold their hands outstretched, saying the benediction and think "Man, I would have gotten +1 on my attack rolls and saves vs fear if I were sitting close enough to be in the area of effect...". Oh well. It's not like I'm fighting many orcs, anyway.

that was hilarious.
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
22-02-2016, 12:35 PM
I attend the most ritualistic church there is, the Catholic Church. I've been in both protestant and catholic churches, and I've noticed that the more ritualistic the church, the more the flock just goes through all the motions not giving it a thought. They recite, by rote, things that they have recited since they were five years old and probably never questioned the meaning of.

I attended a Catholic funeral mass about a year ago for one of my wife's colleagues. It was clear that the priest knew nothing about this person. Amongst all the rituals performed, the priest delivered stock statements about the deceased being face to face with God and in his loving arms blah, blah, blah. (Bring in the next stiff and all he'd have to do is substitute the person's name.) It's really sad. And, the saddest part is that, most in attendance just went with the flow, never questioning the insincerity of it all.

All I can say people, if you're not sure about what people will do upon your death, draft an advanced directive that spells out specifically what your wishes are, and give it to someone you trust.

"Why hast thou forsaken me, o deity whose existence I doubt..." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper
[+] 1 user Likes mgoering's post
22-02-2016, 01:13 PM
(22-02-2016 03:32 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  I attended the funeral of an old family friend at the end of last week.

He had been suffering for many years from a degenerative disease that had resulted in increasing debilitation and eventual death. When death came it was not unexpected and was in many ways a relief for his family. In a cruel twist of fate, his wife - who had cared for him throughout - suffered a stroke a week or two before he died. Undoubtedly the stresses and strain of caring for her husband had taken their toll on her too.

The funeral was held in the local village church - a presbyterian kirk - and I traveled many hundreds of miles to pay my respects. How could I not? He and his wife had been good friends of my parents and I had known them since I was a child.

It was when the minister began his sermon that - for me - the bizarre nature of religion was brought into sharp focus.

Aside from a few comments about the fact that the deceased was a loving husband, father, grandfather, brother etc. and that he had done "good" things and that he was a "good christian man", the majority of this sermon - delivered in an unctuous manner - was all about god/Jesus, how he loved us, how he was good and great and caring and promised us all everlasting life.

In other words the usual complete bullshit that seems to be regurgitated by clergymen at the drop of a hat. It was as if he'd copied and pasted a few personal details into the template he'd used at a thousand other funerals over the years.

It was meaningless. Totally and utterly meaningless.

I sat there in that church listening, and realised that if anything could strengthened my rejection of religion and see through its bizarre rituals and superstitions, surely it was this!

No. At this point nothing could strengthen my position more. It does however remind me of how good it is not to be caught in that program any more. The last funeral I was at was last Summer. It was a Mormon church. Many of the deceased's friends and neighbors were Menonite. That was interesting. They sat silently while the Mormon hymns were sung.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
22-02-2016, 01:27 PM (This post was last modified: 22-02-2016 01:33 PM by Leo.)
(22-02-2016 03:44 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I am a lifelong atheist. Was never a believer in bullshit. I don't attend any form of religious ceremony due to my holding them in abject contempt.

I have told me relatives if I die to simply have my body burned and go out to dinner. Perhaps mention me, but eat drink and be merry.

Religion is bullshit. Only idiots, of which there are many, keep it alive.

Many idiots indeed. We are talking about 80 percent of the world population. Only about 20 percent of world population are atheists and agnostics. The only religions that are okay from my point of view are Buddhists , Jews and Hindus because they don't try convert people to their religions. Christians and Muslims are the worst religions because they are trying to force their crazy beliefs to us.

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes