Does exposure to theistic rituals strengthen your atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-02-2016, 01:57 PM
RE: Does exposure to theistic rituals strengthen your atheism?
The only strength my atheism needs is facts. As long as the facts are what they are I'm good.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
22-02-2016, 10:41 PM
One believes, or not. Once you don't believe, nothing you do will make you believe still less.

That said, I am grateful to not be part of a church. Although I was an evangelical back in the day, I have found even liberal Christianity to be too much to bear. Thinking, a few years ago, that I might get out in front of advancing age and make some friends who might notice if I fell and broke my hip someday, I visited a local Unitarian-Universalist "church" a few times to see if I could possibly stomach it and get some sense of community out of it. After all, I thought, they welcome atheists in their midst.

What I found is that they replace Biblical dogma with political dogma and political correctness. And they fight among each other just as lustily as evangelicals do -- just about different things. For example they have a point in their "liturgy" where they "share joys and sorrows". In this congregation it took the form of open mike time and people would talk about their mother dying or a job promotion or whatever. The problem was that some people would hog the mike and prattle on for several minutes, and if it wasn't all about them, sometimes it was just about some political point they wanted to make. This threw the whole service off. So it was decided that people should briefly write down their "joys and sorrows" for the minister to read. The ensuing cat fight was incredible. One lesbian couple insisted it was a dark conspiracy to silence the voice of gays in the congregation, for example.

Quite apart from religious BS, I had no desire to return to that sort of environment. They can have it. Besides, I've gradually figured out that I'm enough of an introvert to be quite content with my own company. If I fall and break my hip someday and no one notices then I guess at least I'll die in peace.
22-02-2016, 10:55 PM
Looking back on my days as a Catholic, I have to wonder how many other people in church were just daydreaming or watching the time to see how much longer they were trapped.

I can't imagine I was the only who was there just because that is where we were supposed to be every Sunday morning. You had to be seen at mass to be a good Catholic...nothing else seemed to matter much.

After watching a few minutes of Justice Scalia's funeral and realizing how quickly I recalled what was going to happen next made me realize how much the repetition of the ritual had seeped into my brain. I may not remember what I ate yesterday but I can remember the correct responses and gestures during a mass. I haven't attended a mass in decades.

Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
23-02-2016, 01:58 AM
Imagine if you will, a group of protestors outside a university math & physics building with signs saying 2+2=5.

You see these signs every so often during your years of taking calculus and physics. Those nuts in no way strengthen my ability to comprehend the complex equations used in both fields of science.

What they do strengthen in me is my resolve to see that their ideas are never taught in schools.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
23-02-2016, 03:49 AM
The short answer is YES I do however like the pageantry of Catholic / High Anglican services even though its all bollocks. I love the incense and the liturgy and the music but I don't believe any of it and it definitely reinforces my unbelief.
23-02-2016, 11:10 AM
(23-02-2016 03:49 AM)adey67 Wrote:  The short answer is YES I do however like the pageantry of Catholic / High Anglican services even though its all bollocks. I love the incense and the liturgy and the music but I don't believe any of it and it definitely reinforces my unbelief.

Yes, if you only go to a Christmas or Easter mass once a year, there is EXTRA pageantry! But, attending mass every freakin' week; God, it gets tiring real quick! Sadcryface2

"Why hast thou forsaken me, o deity whose existence I doubt..." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper
[+] 1 user Likes mgoering's post