Does free will exist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2016, 04:06 PM
Does free will exist?
Some people say that every one has free will. Others say that no one has free will. That is doesnt exist. What do you think?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2016, 04:09 PM
RE: Does free will exist?
(06-05-2016 04:06 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  Some people say that every one has free will. Others say that no one has free will. That is doesnt exist. What do you think?

Free won't is more coherent.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 7 users Like GirlyMan's post
06-05-2016, 04:09 PM
I needed this post in my life
06-05-2016, 04:22 PM
Does free will exist?
You can get a free will here.
http://www.doyourownwill.com
[+] 2 users Like KUSA's post
06-05-2016, 04:33 PM
Yes and no.
No in the short term, yes in the long term.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-Free-Will

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
06-05-2016, 04:39 PM
Depends on what you mean by this I suppose. Michael Gazzaniga Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain deals with the subject in question.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
06-05-2016, 04:51 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2016 04:59 AM by julep.)
Not in the Biblical sense. An omniscient god precludes free will. The religious idea of free will just gives those who conceive of themselves as saved a reason to blame and feel superior to the damned.

It's unclear, biologically, how much control we have over our emotions and decisions. It may be that we are mostly concocting post hoc rationalizations of our emotional reactions to various situations. How individualized are those emotional reactions? I don't know.

Whether I truly have it or not, I act with the assumption that I have free will. I realize that's a subjective position. As I don't believe there's a god or cosmic consequences to my opinion, I don't worry too much about whether it's correct or not.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
06-05-2016, 05:41 PM
If all interactions in the universe are governed by physical laws, then so would the material in your brain. While you may appear to have choices, they're likely illusory.
[+] 5 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
06-05-2016, 05:45 PM
You can learn things. You can train your brain.

The concept in Moral Theology that a "free choice" can be made, in which many of the elements of the choice are subconscious, is proven false, (by MRI scans that prove choices are made before we are conscious of them).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
06-05-2016, 05:59 PM
Does free will exist?
(06-05-2016 05:41 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  If all interactions in the universe are governed by physical laws, then so would the material in your brain. While you may appear to have choices, they're likely illusory.

Then we are not responsible for our actions.