Does free will exist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2016, 02:18 AM
RE: Does free will exist?
(13-05-2016 01:25 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(12-05-2016 11:03 PM)Seeking_Truth Wrote:  In the religious view I don't think there's free will.
Free will is just an illusion.

But an illusion worth keeping.

It's a sticky one for Islamic ethicists. If Allah has it all written down in his big book of done deals, then everything, including an atheist's disbelief, is predetermined. So... it doesn't matter how well or badly we behave (how many tribes we slaughter or slaves we take) because it was "meant to be" ... it is written!

They can only resort to ... because I said so!

The Jews seem to have addressed this by segregating god's law from man's law and the christians came up with free will.

So, don't knock it. If the monotheisms go back to determinism, we're fucked!

Dodgy

I'm sure the Free-Will Crusades will be just as horrible as the Determinism Crusades. Rolleyes

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
13-05-2016, 05:05 AM
(13-05-2016 02:18 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(13-05-2016 01:25 AM)DLJ Wrote:  But an illusion worth keeping.

It's a sticky one for Islamic ethicists. If Allah has it all written down in his big book of done deals, then everything, including an atheist's disbelief, is predetermined. So... it doesn't matter how well or badly we behave (how many tribes we slaughter or slaves we take) because it was "meant to be" ... it is written!

They can only resort to ... because I said so!

The Jews seem to have addressed this by segregating god's law from man's law and the christians came up with free will.

So, don't knock it. If the monotheisms go back to determinism, we're fucked!

Dodgy

I'm sure the Free-Will Crusades will be just as horrible as the Determinism Crusades. Rolleyes

They made a movie about that:

[Image: captain-america-civil-war-poster-fea-1200x737.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
13-05-2016, 08:31 AM
Even if I have free-will I'll still need to go to work, to buy food, and have shelter.
If I don't have free-will I'll still need to go to work, to buy food, and have shelter.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 3 users Like Commonsensei's post