Does free will exist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2016, 06:18 PM
RE: Does free will exist?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
06-05-2016, 06:19 PM
(06-05-2016 05:59 PM)KUSA Wrote:  
(06-05-2016 05:41 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  If all interactions in the universe are governed by physical laws, then so would the material in your brain. While you may appear to have choices, they're likely illusory.

Then we are not responsible for our actions.

Our actions are not responsible for us. silly.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
06-05-2016, 06:26 PM
I pretty much answer the same way every time the thread comes up Tongue

The body is just as mechanical as any machine. The only thing that creates the perception of choice is that the actions we take are not consistently predictable with the limited information we have available, nor are the situations which will trigger those reactions. So while I don't believe in free will in the way that it's typically defined, I still refer to the choices we make as choices because its usage is widely accepted and going with the flow is easier than getting into a semantic debate with everyone I have a conversation with.

I don't believe in fate, either, as that implies some sort of pre destiny. It's neither free will nor fate, just a point in an infinite series of cause and effect.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
06-05-2016, 06:50 PM
Does free will exist?
According to my very Christian ex-girlfriend, there is none. She asserts a study shows that our choices are made in our brain seven seconds before we consciously do something. Therefore, no free will and therefore God.

Ha, take that, heathens.
06-05-2016, 07:47 PM
(06-05-2016 06:50 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  According to my very Christian ex-girlfriend, there is none. She asserts a study shows that our choices are made in our brain seven seconds before we consciously do something. Therefore, no free will and therefore God.

Ha, take that, heathens.

http://exploringthemind.com/the-mind/bra...you-decide

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
06-05-2016, 08:09 PM
(06-05-2016 06:50 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  According to my very Christian ex-girlfriend, there is none. She asserts a study shows that our choices are made in our brain seven seconds before we consciously do something. Therefore, no free will and therefore God.

Ha, take that, heathens.

God says free will exists. Stone her for her blasphemy.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
06-05-2016, 08:42 PM
[Image: kermit.jpg]

[+] 8 users Like TheGulegon's post
06-05-2016, 08:48 PM
(06-05-2016 07:47 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

Ha, take that, heathens.

http://exploringthemind.com/the-mind/bra...you-decide
I knew about the seven seconds. But in her mind, it proves God.
06-05-2016, 09:27 PM
I was raised Calvinist, so free will was always a very confusing topic for me. Now that I'm an atheist, though...it still is. I'm happy that this thread is here, I'm sure it will help me learn a thing or two Smile
06-05-2016, 09:52 PM
(06-05-2016 08:09 PM)yakherder Wrote:  

Ha, take that, heathens.

God says free will exists. Stone her for her blasphemy.

She talked to you about god? Isn't she supposed to get stoned for that? Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]