Does free will exist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-05-2016, 05:43 AM
RE: Does free will exist?
(10-05-2016 12:58 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(09-05-2016 03:16 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Also, I'm not too keen spending my tax money on these people, so for certain types I am happy for death penalty, but in many countries death penalty comes with years of government funded top notch lawyers etc and can cost more than life imprisonment.

If you want to kill them, by what right will you do it? You pay a fee to live in a safe society. Now you want to use the fact that you've paid that fee to justify killing someone? How did money suddenly give you the right to end someone else's life?

I ask these questions but I don't have answers myself. I guess maybe sometimes we just admit that yes we are nasty, not logically consistent people and kill the fuckers anyway.

If you want to imprison someone for life, by what right will you do it? How does money suddenly give you the right to imprison someone for life?

How is killing Osama logically inconsistent?

You have to remember, the whole concept of rights is just made up fairytale-land-bullshit.

Who gave Osama the right to send planes into WTC?

You might think that no one has the right to hurt you, but if you think that safeguards you against attack, you're delusional.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2016, 05:53 AM

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
10-05-2016, 06:20 AM
(10-05-2016 05:43 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(10-05-2016 12:58 AM)morondog Wrote:  If you want to kill them, by what right will you do it? You pay a fee to live in a safe society. Now you want to use the fact that you've paid that fee to justify killing someone? How did money suddenly give you the right to end someone else's life?

I ask these questions but I don't have answers myself. I guess maybe sometimes we just admit that yes we are nasty, not logically consistent people and kill the fuckers anyway.

If you want to imprison someone for life, by what right will you do it? How does money suddenly give you the right to imprison someone for life?

You have to remember, the whole concept of rights is just made up fairytale-land-bullshit.

You might think that no one has the right to hurt you, but if you think that safeguards you against attack, you're delusional.

I didn't argue that my taxes give me the right to any of this. Taxes are a fee you pay to live in a civil society. As a *member* of society, I want to live in a safe one, so I do see that *something* has to be done about people who disturb the safety of society. I just don't see how calling for their death is anything other than the same barbarism that I am accusing them of, yet one type of calling for death - when you do it - you want to be sanctioned by society, and the other kind - when they do it - you don't?

Who's logically inconsistent?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
10-05-2016, 06:25 AM
Amnesty international.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
10-05-2016, 06:44 AM
(10-05-2016 06:20 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(10-05-2016 05:43 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  If you want to imprison someone for life, by what right will you do it? How does money suddenly give you the right to imprison someone for life?

I didn't argue that my taxes give me the right to any of this. Taxes are a fee you pay to live in a civil society. As a *member* of society, I want to live in a safe one, so I do see that *something* has to be done about people who disturb the safety of society. I just don't see how calling for their death is anything other than the same barbarism that I am accusing them of, yet one type of calling for death - when you do it - you want to be sanctioned by society, and the other kind - when they do it - you don't?

Who's logically inconsistent?

Which is more barbaric, death penalty, or life in prison?

Dom, for example, would choose death over life imprisonment? She perhaps sees death as a lesser punishment. On what basis do you decide that death penalty is more barbaric (worse punishment)?

As far as logical consistency goes, I don't see how life imprisonment or capital punishment would be logically inconsistent.

If a man rapes and murders a girl, and then the girl's father kills the murdering rapist, is the father being logically inconsistent? If so, how?
10-05-2016, 06:52 AM
(10-05-2016 06:44 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Which is more barbaric, death penalty, or life in prison?

Dom, for example, would choose death over life imprisonment? She perhaps sees death as a lesser punishment. On what basis do you decide that death penalty is more barbaric (worse punishment)?

As far as logical consistency goes, I don't see how life imprisonment or capital punishment would be logically inconsistent.

If a man rapes and murders a girl, and then the girl's father kills the murdering rapist, is the father being logically inconsistent? If so, how?

There is no turning back from death mate. Recently a man was freed after 20 years of false imprisonment. Imagine if they had murdered him.

Anyway, this has gone way off topic and is supposed to be about free will.

Can we please get back to St Augustine???

Banjo.
10-05-2016, 07:12 AM
(10-05-2016 06:52 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(10-05-2016 06:44 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Which is more barbaric, death penalty, or life in prison?

There is no turning back from death mate. Recently a man was freed after 20 years of false imprisonment. Imagine if they had murdered him.

You're right, and I don't advocate for death penalty across the board, but there are some cases (Osama) when I feel that not only is death appropriate, but even torture. Why not torture someone like Osama Bin Laden to get potentially life-saving information?
10-05-2016, 07:15 AM
(10-05-2016 07:12 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(10-05-2016 06:52 AM)Banjo Wrote:  There is no turning back from death mate. Recently a man was freed after 20 years of false imprisonment. Imagine if they had murdered him.

You're right, and I don't advocate for death penalty across the board, but there are some cases (Osama) when I feel that not only is death appropriate, but even torture. Why not torture someone like Osama Bin Laden to get potentially life-saving information?
Do you need a reason besides the one of evidence showcasing that it's not often actually effective at getting reliably true information?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
10-05-2016, 07:38 AM
The death penalty is an act of mercy when compared to life in prison, although I would personally only advocate it for people who have proven to be impossible to rehabilitate (e.g. someone convicted of murder who ends up killing a prison inmate).

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
10-05-2016, 07:44 AM

There is no objective answer to this, it's subjective.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post